No announcement yet.

New guy - introduction, questions-gctid365124

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figure about 2 miles per gallon at cruising speed; maybe 3 at idle.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Thanks everyone. Very friendly group! I like that.

Comment

rstackjd wrote:
        Thanks everyone. Very friendly group! I like that.
        You have not ventured to the PP section yet, have you?
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Do not buy a omc 460 and king cobra system under any circumstances.

Manifolds, drive parts are non existent.

I am typing on A iPhone, so I cant really go into greater detail IMHO I would suggest if it marked omc stay away from that boat the 460 is the worst of the worst.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Welcome,in no way would I let the hype here worry me away from a king cobra. IF you get a good rebuild and have it adjusted properly it will last for years.

Ck out the link below I purchesed a reman cobra from him and he was a wealth of information.

As you can see he has them readily available. Best of all he will take the time to explian to you your options...........

Good luck and welcome!

http://www.allamericandriveservice.com/OMCCobra.html

Comment

Doug Russell has the 460 KC exhaust manifold only for $1,599.99 ......, and you'll eventually need two plus risers.

SIERRA, 18-21754, Eng Coupler OMC 460 King Cobra ...... $360, which is not bad.

Worst case scenario should you have drive trouble and wish to switch to another stern drive system.
              • There is no means of going Mercruiser with the 460 engine, as Merc has not used this engine (no flywheel cover that makes the Merc work with the 460).
              • There is a means of going to the AQ series Volvo Penta via Borg Warner components, as the 460 is Borg Warner capable.

As said in post #9, there is an alternative should you purchase and have drive trouble and are up for a project like this.

A savvy 460 KC seller hopes to find a non-savvy buyer... plain and simple.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Since posters have been a little reluctant to comment on fuel usage let me try my hand. IMHO fuel consumption concerns are a little overrated. Think about it in these terms. My boat is 25 years old and has about 1200 hours on it. That is just about 50 hours per year. I think that might be not so far off average for many boat owners. The point is that larger boats have lots of use and social time without long distance running. If your own use proves typical, with a mix of fast and slow,the consumption will be roughly equivalent of 50 hours highway driving in a V8 half ton. Because it is your first year owning it you might be a little higher than 50 hours running so take 100 @ perhaps 3 to 4 gallons an hour - you could balloon up to $1500 Last year I ran a lot (about 120 hours) and went through $1200 on my bigger boat with twins and diesel (that makes it about $10 per hour and that is not so much different than a half ton) but I prefer to think about fuel costs in relation to other costs. For comparison, add up what you are paying for dockage, insurance, repairs, service, parts, interest costs, winterizing, storage etc and fuel dollars become rather less significant. As well you are not driving your car or truck when you are driving the boat instead. Besides, when you are running your boat, you are enjoying.

If you throttle back to about 6 or 7 miles an hour you will be at hull speed and your consumption drops by perhaps 75% Mind you, you cover a lot less distance as well but then you have an interesting question of whether or not time is more valuable than fuel.

If you use the search function on this site you can find a number of technical posts on consumption. There are many comments about finding the sweet spot in RPM where you get the best mix of speed and economy and it varies by boat and load and a whole bunch of other things. If you run WOT (wide open throttle) all the time you will regret every visit to the pumps.I am probably as much of a cheapskate as anybody but I less concerned about actual flowscan numbers and more concerned trying to keep the issue of fuel costs in the right perspective.

Using a boat is good - not using is bad - enjoy!

Comment

Thanks bobsyiruncle that's just the kind of review I was looking for - that's very helpful.

I will say that drive train issue now has me nervous. The marina buddy is getting me in touch with a guy who can look it all over, give me an opinion on the motor as well as the systems, etc.

Again, I have a feeling boats are a lot like racecars, everything costs more to buy than you expect, and just when you think it's all ok . . :sorrow: . . . lol

Comment

rstackjd wrote:
                    1.... Thanks bobsyiruncle that's just the kind of review I was looking for - that's very helpful.

2... I will say that drive train issue now has me nervous. The marina buddy is getting me in touch with a guy who can look it all over, give me an opinion on the motor as well as the systems, etc.

3... Again, I have a feeling boats are a lot like racecars, everything costs more to buy than you expect, and just when you think it's all ok
                    1.... You'll want to know that GPH is rather meaningless in terms of fuel economy. We need to know distance traveled in order for GPH to mean anything of value. This is why the numbers that you want to look at, will be MPG... not GPH unless associated with a speed/distance traveled.

2... One other note not yet mentioned..... in 1987 the KC was a Dog Clutch drive. Not until later did the Cone Clutch KC come out, and it too was short lived.

3... Perhaps so!

However, the engines and engine performance parts, transmissions, rear differential units, etc, are all readily available for your race car needs.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

One option for the hard to find / expense 460 exhaust manifolds is to convert to through the transom "snail" style log manifolds.There is a plentiful supply on the used market and a complete set usually goes for 100 to $150.00All aluminum.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/668426=25831-flog5.jpg[/img]
                      " WET EVER "
                      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                      mmsi 338108404
                      mmsi 338124956
                      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

A few thoughts here -

1. You will be in fresh water. I do not know of a set of manifolds that has gone bad in fresh water, especially Lake Michigan. THe manifolds are a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

2. The drive is the rare Dog Clutch KC drive (but not as rare as the later Cone Clutch KC) - the 7.5L is what gives it away.

THis was extensively used on larger Bayliner cruisers, and parts are generally available, but not as much as the earler Volvo powered Contessas. However, those boats didn't get the big block in it. If you wanted something more than 260 hp in a Volvo powered COntessa, you needed to go to twins.

I wouldn't throw this boat out of bed, but I would make DAMN sure you know what you are getting into. Hire a surveyor, and have him go over EVERYTHING. Better to spend $400 now, rather than $10,000 later. Make sure the hull is sound, and there is no rot in the stringers or transom. Make sure the fuel tank is sound - pressure test it. Check all gauges and switches. Check all electrical. Make sure the batteries are good. Do a full engine survey, compression and leak down test it, and then plan on giving it a FULL tuneup and oil change before you run it.

If everything checks out, and you can get it at a good price (less than 5 figures, hopefully WAY less) then buy it and put a new KC drive on. You will also need to make sure the shift cables are adjusted properly (check back here for the deets, but basically, the boat should shift into and out of gear with fingertip effort...if not, it needs shift cables PRONTO).

They sold a lot of Contessas, and they sold quite a few with 7.5L KCs, so don't be afraid of it.

I would definitely NOT buy a Cone Clutch KC, but only a handful (if that) of Bayliners got them anyway.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Would you like some 'real' numbers concerning fuel? here goes, this for a 2452 w/ 5.0 motor

Last year I spent exactly $1250 on fuel and I used the boat 126 hrs.

Of that, about 2 hrs, maybe 3 was on plane and the rest was just chugging along - seriously, I just putt putt.

Consider also, that i bought almost my entire year's worth of gas (223 gallons) on land, and saved with nickle off Thursday's and my club buying card - that card saved me $180.

So,,,,,,add about $350 to my total for marina prices only, which typically add $1 or $1.25 /gallon around here.

And add a lot more if you run your boat hard

I hope this helps a little

Sarah

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:
                            A few thoughts here -

1. You will be in fresh water. I do not know of a set of manifolds that has gone bad in fresh water, especially Lake Michigan. THe manifolds are a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

2. The drive is the rare Dog Clutch KC drive (but not as rare as the later Cone Clutch KC) - the 7.5L is what gives it away.

THis was extensively used on larger Bayliner cruisers, and parts are generally available, but not as much as the earler Volvo powered Contessas. However, those boats didn't get the big block in it. If you wanted something more than 260 hp in a Volvo powered COntessa, you needed to go to twins.

I wouldn't throw this boat out of bed, but I would make DAMN sure you know what you are getting into. Hire a surveyor, and have him go over EVERYTHING. Better to spend $400 now, rather than $10,000 later. Make sure the hull is sound, and there is no rot in the stringers or transom. Make sure the fuel tank is sound - pressure test it. Check all gauges and switches. Check all electrical. Make sure the batteries are good. Do a full engine survey, compression and leak down test it, and then plan on giving it a FULL tuneup and oil change before you run it.

If everything checks out, and you can get it at a good price (less than 5 figures, hopefully WAY less) then buy it and put a new KC drive on. You will also need to make sure the shift cables are adjusted properly (check back here for the deets, but basically, the boat should shift into and out of gear with fingertip effort...if not, it needs shift cables PRONTO).

They sold a lot of Contessas, and they sold quite a few with 7.5L KCs, so don't be afraid of it.

I would definitely NOT buy a Cone Clutch KC, but only a handful (if that) of Bayliners got them anyway.
                            Matt, where would you get a new King Cobra drive?

The Contessa is a great boat without question.

I would be positive you have lined up the solution for the drive before you buy it. You may be in for a surprise.

About fuel. I had one with twins and it really needed both.

That said the large block OMC may move it well but it will like its gas. You will still have to work it hard and on plane you will be lucky to get 2 mpg.

Put that in numbers, if you cruise 24 mph, you will burn 12 gallons per hour and go from there. You will have to top 20 mph just to keep it on plane most likely. Weight you have aboard will be a factor there. I had mine loaded at times I had to be 30 mph just to keep it on plane but that us unusual for most.

If your boat was always a fresh water boat, you can forget about the manifold replacement unless it isn't properly winterized. They just do not need replacing in fresh water.

As said get a survey. Pay attention to the possibility of rot in the stringers and transom wood core. You do not want to be faced with a repair there.

Doug
                            Started boating 1955
                            Number of boats owned 32
                            Bayliners
                            3870 presently owned
                            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Fuel economy? It is a boat...nuff said. :greedy_dollars:

But really, after $150 a weekend our first season (when it was $1.79 on the water), we purchased a Sea Doo XP. Figure in 2 seasons of fuel savings I paid off the jet ski.
                              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                              1998 3055 Ciera
                              (yes, a 1998)
                              Previous boat: 1993 3055
                              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                              Sea Doo XP
                              Sea Doo GTI SE
                              Life is short. Boats are cool.
                              The family that plays together stays together.
                              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the forum, much of what I know in life that is worthwhile, I learned right here.

You might check out this link advertising a Cobra/Mercruiser Alpha I conversion; http://www.boatfixerguy.net/page20.p...ct=3&category=

Also, you might want to call the owner, Bob Coons, and speak to him about the conversion. I haven't done business with him in several years, but I've noticed that he has been advertising this particular conversion around the Sacramento Delta for at least three years. I think he might be able to give you some advice. When I did some business with him several years ago, I found him to be very knowledgeable and he's willing to talk to you. He can probably tell you exactly what to do.

I have the 460 engine and I generally run about 15-20 mph, which is a pretty good compromise. Your speed makes a huge difference in your gas mileage. I've been advised that if I had a smaller engine I would not be satisfied with the performance. I'm not unhappy with the 460 engine or Cobra outdrive, but I did change out the original shifter and all of the cables.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X