Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a Radar Arch to 2002 Ciera 2655, can it be done? If so, what kind of arch?-gctid364429

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adding a Radar Arch to 2002 Ciera 2655, can it be done? If so, what kind of arch?-gctid364429

    I'm very interested in mounting a radar arch, and for several reasons other than to just mount my GPS radar. I have a 2002 Ciera 2655, and I have the full window/bimini top set that all snaps together. I would like to install a radar arch to have the luxury of several items and I'll explain why.1) Each time I go out, I have to manually rotate up the GPS radar mount that is horizontal when I'm prior to going underway. That isn't much of a pain in the pass, but sometimes the mount when I tighten it becomes loose, and it bounces back and forth and the cord/wire smacks up against the boat.2) Since the option is there, I'd also like to put a mounted permanent light, where I don't have to keep going in the cabin and getting the light and shoving it in the pre-mounted hole in the center of the aft. This isn't also a big deal, but would decrease time since I go out at night a lot. Also.. the height of the light, can only be seen from the rear. If I have the bimini top up and sides on (if its raining) no one from the front of the boat can see it, and it's very bright and almost blinding if I'm on the back of the boat relaxing drinking a beer at night. It's just too bright since it's almost at eye level.3) Speakers.. yes, speakers. I would LOVE to have some mounted speakers for those loud obnoxious days when I find myself in the water, and can barely hear anything. The 2655 was definitely not built as a party, get out and dance, boat. There are only 2 speakers above the cabin, and in the cabin. They are not very centrally located either.. meaning, if you are in the cabin, they are at the very front of the bow and directly next to each other (not a smart spot in my opinion). The other 2 speakers are on either side of the aft, but still don't really pack a punch. I've looked into finding alternate spots to mount then, but you'd have to give up space and to run these wires seems like a major pain. If I were to mount speakers on the tower, this would instantly solve my problem.4) I have a beautiful Guest 501A light that I haven't installed yet, that would go GREAT on the arch, and it has a wireless remote that I can move around to capture any side of the boat, as opposed to mounting it on the front, and being restricted to only lighting my way in the dark, as opposed to either sides of the boat.With these options and the research I've done, I have found 2 options.One being, http://www.atlantictowers.com. They seem to have great arch mounts that bolt right in, and are ADJUSTABLE.. which is very nice in the event that you are stupid at reading at measurements. Fairly affordable at around $1499 including free shipping (very nice). The only thing I have a problem with is that they are skeleton type, meaning they aren't solid white, but instead aluminum and see through? if you will. Here is an image that I can attach of a 2655 with it on there.

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/667458=25742-radar1.jpg[/img]

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/667458=25743-radar2.jpg[/img]

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/667458=25744-radar3.jpg[/img]

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/667458=25745-radar4.jpg[/img]Second, I've noticed a lot of the natural style archs where they look very 'stock' or pre-determined, and are found on many of the longer, newer styles. I'll attach a pic here:

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/667458=25746-radararch.jpg[/img]There isn't much different in price between the two, most of these styles run anywhere from $1500-$2k. Mostly found on eBay though.. and are not adjustable.What I'm asking is.. has anyone done either one? If so, which one did you go with? Is the natural style radar arch easy to install? and is it better looking with this style boat? Does the aluminum arch's tend to take away from the boat's beauty? Would it be hard to install speakers into the white natural style opposed to the aluminum?Thanks in advance for the responses. This is something I'd love to do before the season kicks off, since it's a bit of a project. PLEASE give me feedback if you'd done this or know someone that has.. THANK YOU!!!

    #2
    Best thing to do is buy a 2855

    Other than that I think the aluminum arcs look great and the are pretty beefy. The only downside to them is they are a huge hunk of metal on the water, dont be out in a thunderstorm

    I wanted an arch on my 2355 also, thoguht about ordering an aluminum arc but I just sold her instead. Woulda looked sharp with an arch.

    Comment


      #3
      biohazard wrote:
      Best thing to do is buy a 2855

      Other than that I think the aluminum arcs look great and the are pretty beefy. The only downside to them is they are a huge hunk of metal on the water, dont be out in a thunderstorm

      I wanted an arch on my 2355 also, thoguht about ordering an aluminum arc but I just sold her instead. Woulda looked sharp with an arch.
      I'd love to get a 2855, but I've put so much into this boat, I'm gonna keep it for at least a few more seasons and get some cruisin out of it. Yeah, metal was an issue that I thought of.. not a fan of that either, but I haven't heard any horror stories... yet!

      Comment


        #4
        jaywoodz wrote:
        I'd love to get a 2855, but I've put so much into this boat, I'm gonna keep it for at least a few more seasons and get some cruisin out of it. Yeah, metal was an issue that I thought of.. not a fan of that either, but I haven't heard any horror stories... yet!
        I completely understand, my 3055 wont be going anywhere anytime soon too much blood into that boat. Honestly I have heard of no horror stories either myself, it was just a thought in my mind. I have been anchored out in many storms, metal arch boats are around form time to time, I have never seen one take a hit personally. Doesnt mean it doesnt mappen though.

        I think the aluminam archs look really good though, as long as they arnt 15' above your bimini.

        Comment


          #5
          biohazard wrote:
          I completely understand, my 3055 wont be going anywhere anytime soon too much blood into that boat. Honestly I have heard of no horror stories either myself, it was just a thought in my mind. I have been anchored out in many storms, metal arch boats are around form time to time, I have never seen one take a hit personally. Doesnt mean it doesnt mappen though.

          I think the aluminam archs look really good though, as long as they arnt 15' above your bimini.
          Yes Yes! I do not want one that high, I realistically don't fish off my boat, just cruise stay the night and get very drunk with girls in bikini's. I just don't know which one to go with, the white arch (in my opinion) is the sexiest, and looks the best. Makes the boat look newer, and more updated. Adds a lot of value to the boat as well.

          Comment


            #6
            I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I just can't get on board with the fiberglass arches. To me, they look like a rear spoiler on a 70's Chrysler product.

            Since you posted more photos of the SS or Aluminum arches, I'm thinking that you are favoring them over the fiberglass.

            I also prefer the metal arches when they taper in towards the top, rather than being squared off.

            But that's just my opinion.

            The metal arches can also incorporate a hinge system in-that these can be laid down for trailering, if that's of any importance to you.

            .
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

            Comment


              #7
              2850Bounty wrote:
              I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I just can't get on board with the fiberglass arches. To me, they look like a rear spoiler on a 70's Chrysler product.

              Since you posted more photos of the SS or Aluminum arches, I'm thinking that you are favoring them over the fiberglass.

              I also prefer the metal arches when they taper in towards the top, rather than being squared off.

              But that's just my opinion.

              The metal arches can also incorporate a hinge system in-that these can be laid down for trailering, if that's of any importance to you.

              .
              Only reasoning why I had more of the metal archs is because on the atlantictowers.com website, they have so many pictures of 2655's with them on there. Yes they do have that option of being able to be rotated down for trailering, although that doesn't really matter to me. It stays in the slip most of the time, and only gets trailered twice a year unless I take it in for repairs or something else. I do like the fiberglass, but I see where you're coming from. I was not a fan either until I realized that almost every boat past 2005 and over 28' has them. It's nice to have built in lighting and speakers, along with the option for the bimini top to connect to it if that was an option.

              Still not sure which one I'm going to pick..

              Comment


                #8
                I'll throw in my $0.02. I also like the look of the fiberglass better and never really cared for those metal arches. Fiberglass looks more stock, like it's supposed to be there and isn't just an accessory add on. But at the same time, if a bolt-on fiberglass arch isn't done right (for example, if the color doesn't match, if there's gaps, or if it doesn't fit with the lines of the boat) then it will ruin the look of the boat and look much worse than the metal arch. It's a tough call. Does anyone know if the arch from a 2855 will fit on a 2655? If so, that may be the way to go.
                2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
                Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
                Bravo II drives
                Closed-cooling

                Comment


                  #9
                  cwiert wrote:
                  I'll throw in my $0.02. I also like the look of the fiberglass better and never really cared for those metal arches. Fiberglass looks more stock, like it's supposed to be there and isn't just an accessory add on. But at the same time, if a bolt-on fiberglass arch isn't done right (for example, if the color doesn't match, if there's gaps, or if it doesn't fit with the lines of the boat) then it will ruin the look of the boat and look much worse than the metal arch. It's a tough call. Does anyone know if the arch from a 2855 will fit on a 2655? If so, that may be the way to go.
                  I have to agree, I do like the look of a fiberglass arch over metal when its meant for the boat. The issue you would run into is the 2855 is wider then the 2655, unless you got a wb 2655 (Not sure if even a 2655wb is same width as a 2855). You would probably have to cut the 2855 arch to shorten it, but it might look alright then.

                  Mounting points would likely have to be reinforced and whatnot, getting factory archs on and off is a real pita from what my 3055 looks like.

                  That being said, I have seen aftermarket fiberglass archs on boats, the ones I have seen make the boat look funny. I think when it comes down to that, I would lean toward metal if I had to go aftermarket, easier to install (possibly), and doesnt look so out of place.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I investigated this on a previous boat and was never able to come up with something that made economic sense. And some notes:

                    1. There is no such thing as "GPS radar." You mean your GPS antenna? Or do you actually have a RADAR system?

                    2. You could also convert to an aft light/270 degree light up front. This works well on some boats. Or just raise the existing one and leave it in there permanently, then add a skirt to reduce the light into the boat.

                    3. Agreed, that's a good place for speakers.

                    4. DO NOT put your spotlight on the arch!!! It will cast light all over the foredeck and blind you. Ask me how I know this. I ended up moving it to a platform on the point of the bow rail. Even a foredeck-mounted light is worthless because of the reflections.

                    I also greatly prefer the glass arch and find the aluminum ones to look like unfinished structure. Ugly to me.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Don't know if I missed it said in previous posts, but Bayliner had a factory arch available for the last year or two that they produced the 265 (which is exactly the same hull as your 2002 2655. I actually owned the same boat as you for many years, and when I saw they finally were putting the arches on the 265's in their product brochure... well... I went searching for my wallet. I ended up moving up in boats, but would have seriously considered looking into the retrofit. It would have bolted right up. Contact Bayliner and see if they have any available.

                      I can't remember, but I think it would require new canvas as well. I think when they added the arch, the canvas snapped to it as opposed to going under.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Impactg wrote:
                        Don't know if I missed it said in previous posts, but Bayliner had a factory arch available for the last year or two that they produced the 265 (which is exactly the same hull as your 2002 2655. I actually owned the same boat as you for many years, and when I saw they finally were putting the arches on the 265's in their product brochure... well... I went searching for my wallet. I ended up moving up in boats, but would have seriously considered looking into the retrofit. It would have bolted right up. Contact Bayliner and see if they have any available.

                        I can't remember, but I think it would require new canvas as well. I think when they added the arch, the canvas snapped to it as opposed to going under.
                        I looked at the 2006 and 2007 models, and I do see some with arches, but they are all metal arches. Is that what bayliner used on these models? It really doesnt look too bad. Here's one right here...

                        http://www.americanlisted.com/washin..._13878795.html
                        2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
                        Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
                        Bravo II drives
                        Closed-cooling

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Eye of the beholder and all that, but I think that looks absolutely horrible. Like a cross between wanting to make it into a wakeboard boat and an unfinished structure.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            cwiert wrote:
                            I'll throw in my $0.02. I also like the look of the fiberglass better and never really cared for those metal arches. Fiberglass looks more stock, like it's supposed to be there and isn't just an accessory add on. But at the same time, if a bolt-on fiberglass arch isn't done right (for example, if the color doesn't match, if there's gaps, or if it doesn't fit with the lines of the boat) then it will ruin the look of the boat and look much worse than the metal arch. It's a tough call. Does anyone know if the arch from a 2855 will fit on a 2655? If so, that may be the way to go.
                            I have no idea if the arch from a 2855 will fit a 2655 since I don't have a clue what the dimensions are on my 2655 or on a 2855. I'd go out there with a ruler, but the boat is about 40 minutes away getting the underneath painted. I should have it back late this week or early next week. I prefer the fiberglass look as well, not that I don't like the aluminum but I think it looks cleaner/stock.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              biohazard wrote:
                              I have to agree, I do like the look of a fiberglass arch over metal when its meant for the boat. The issue you would run into is the 2855 is wider then the 2655, unless you got a wb 2655 (Not sure if even a 2655wb is same width as a 2855). You would probably have to cut the 2855 arch to shorten it, but it might look alright then.

                              Mounting points would likely have to be reinforced and whatnot, getting factory archs on and off is a real pita from what my 3055 looks like.

                              That being said, I have seen aftermarket fiberglass archs on boats, the ones I have seen make the boat look funny. I think when it comes down to that, I would lean toward metal if I had to go aftermarket, easier to install (possibly), and doesnt look so out of place.
                              You're right, I don't want to get one that is oversized, or make it look like a spoiler that you could push through the grocery store. I'd want something proportional that would look good like the 2855, or 3055. Either way, I think they both look great, but the fiberglass would be much more difficult. ESP finding one that will fit mine, or even finding one that fit a 2855 or a 3055, then modifying it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X