2452 Survey-gctid364422

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2452 Survey-gctid364422

After several false starts I have finally found a boat to purchase in my price range. It is a 2002 Bayliner 2452 with a 5.0 220 hp Mercruiser engine and an alpha 1 outdrive. I understand that this combination is considered underpowered but it is a good deal and hopefully it will be adequate for two average sized adults and a small child.

I am planning to get a survey before the final payment and would like to know what are the most likely problem areas for this boat. I am particularly concerned about any regions in the hull where there is wood below the waterline. I read one post where an owner said his transom had become waterlogged. A lot of boats have solid fiberglass hulls but apparently this is not the case for the 2452 hull.

Your choice of powerplant is fine, unless you plan to load the boat to the max. Survey wise, the 2000+ Ciera are sound, even moreso if the vessel lives on its trailer.

Comment

First of all, 242/2452 with 5.0/Alpha 1 is just fine. Sure a 5.7 B3 is ideal but standard 220 HP 305 with alpha drive will work just fine. I have yet to experience any problems getting on the plain even when fully loaded with gas, water, camping gear, and 6 people.

I found that using stock 15x17 prop is less than ideal unless the boat is running light, through the seasons I have tried several props and seem to have settled on Solas aluminum 4 blade 14.75x15 prop. With this prop boat jumps out of the hole in few seconds and accelerates rapidly to a cruise speed. With my prop/weight setup I cruise near 25MPh around 3800RPM, max speed when empty about 33 MPh at 4600RPM.

Comment

The boat has been kept in a slip, which is why I am a little concerned about water intrusion.

Comment

harry11733 wrote:
          The boat has been kept in a slip, which is why I am a little concerned about water intrusion.
          All boats are vulnerable to water intrusion. The transom water issue is not just something Bayliners suffer from. Most recreational boats are build with wood core transom, this is not something only a Bayliners have. You mentioned survey, I assume a professional marine surveyor will be able to tell you if there is rotted transom or not.

Comment

Good idea on the survey. I can give you a general list of things I would look for but much depends on the situation and type of boat. The following is a very general and brief list.Look for signs of previous repairs below the waterline, water seeping from around any through hull or fastener below the waterline, ( boat must be out of the water for several days for that one), the un-mistakable smell of gear oil around the drive, the strong smell of gasoline in the bilge, the way any additional equipment was attached to the hull below the waterline,(proper sealer and fasteners,), condition of bottom and paint, does the sterndrive show any signs of hitting something large while underway, excessive water leaks inside the cabin, (usually show up as dark streaks after a period of time), the way in which any additional equipment or wiring were installed, (it gives me an idea on how the previous owner maintained the boat if it were done in an amaturish way.) excessive oil, or any coolant in the bilge, leaks at the trim pump, cleanleness of the engine compartment. (again a good indication of previous owners habits, ), the list could go on and on but good luck. Expect to find some of the items above or something like them anyway.

Matt

Comment

I haven't heard of particular issues with the 2000s Ciera line. I had a 2001 2455 before my current boat, and it was in a slip from day one, no particular defect issues. It's a pretty solid design.

A survey is a smart thing. Find a good surveyor and trust him to find any issues. Are you aware of the Boat US recommended surveyor list?

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
                All boats are vulnerable to water intrusion. The transom water issue is not just something Bayliners suffer from. Most recreational boats are build with wood core transom, this is not something only a Bayliners have. You mentioned survey, I assume a professional marine surveyor will be able to tell you if there is rotted transom or not.
                This is it. "Solid hull" usually refers to coring on the shaped parts of the hull and bottom, not the transom. Many have foam and/or balsa cores. The 2452 has solid fiberglass, with wood in the transom and stringers like most boats that size/age.

ALL boats you will be looking at will have wood in the transom. Bayliner switched to XL plywood at some point which is supposed to be more resistant if it does get wet, not sure what year that was.

Get a survey and properly maintain your boat and you'll be fine, no matter what the brand.

Comment

Working...
                X