Bow truster - 305 SB-gctid364269

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow truster - 305 SB-gctid364269

Hello all, I have purchased a 2008 305 SB last fall, I upgraded from a 240 Signature Chaparral. I would like to know how many of you have a 30 feet long boat and decided to have a bow truster.

I am hesitating to have one install it is around 5k:livid: afterall. Will I get use to twin engines, I hope so but....

I am located a Saint Jean sur Richelieu and navigates on Champlain Lake.

Thanks

No thruster on mine.

I almost think a stern thruster would be a better choice. But have neither bow or stern thruster.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

No thruster on mine either. With a little practice, you can use those twins to get the boat to do whatever you want. Plus the drives are spaced pretty far apart on the 305(5)...more so than other boats in its class. This adds to the manavourabiliy, in my opinion.

There are some people on here that have a 305 that have installed a bow thruster. I'm sure they'll chime in and provide you some additional advice.
      2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
      Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
      Bravo II drives
      Closed-cooling

Comment

The 305's last year was 2007, sure you don't have a 300? The 300 is 1 foot narrower beam, and (I believe) a bit deeper vee/more deadrise. My 2007 305 was one of the last they made, and a shallow deadrise. The drives are farther apart than the 300, and it was very controllable in a crosswind, I never considered a bowthruster, but it would have been a nice addition. Get used to the boat for a season, then see how you feel...

And welcome to the BOC!
        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        |
        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
        And 12 others...
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

There is a member (DockFive) who has done a beautiful job in installing a bow thruster on a 3050. Here is a link to the thread.

Comment

Thanks for the info, and yes, I have a 300 SB 2008. Since the boat is in storage since last fall, I thought I had a 305. Can wait to have it and test it. That will happen in one month. As foir the bow thruster I will wait and see how I feel with the boat...

Comment

Hi and welcome to the club. I can feel your excitement! I don't put in for another month, and after last week's weather, it's not soon enough.

I had a bow thruster added a few seasons ago, and never regretted it. Yes it was expensive, but I rationalized it by telling myself it was cheaper than adding another engine. With that in mind, I've seen experienced captains with twins be able to do some maneuvers that I can't do with my single and thruster.

I think you'll be fine without a thruster given some time to hone your slow speed skills. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the maneuverability you'll get with just a little practice.
              Simo
              2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
              Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

I have the 3055 and you don't need a thruster.The key to getting your boat to do want you want is to constantly shift in and out of drive immediately and you'll be able to dock it on a dime.Remember if you're not bored when docking you're going to fast!

Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine!

Comment

Tony Da DJ wrote:
                  Remember if you're not bored when docking you're going to fast!
                  Ha... I like that.
                  2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
                  Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
                  Bravo II drives
                  Closed-cooling

Comment

The bow on my 3055 is like a sail, any good gust of wind and off she goes in her own direction no matter how much i work the throttles. I still cant back it into a slip, tried many many times, I fail..... I however have backed up diagonal to other boats without issue.....Dunno what my issue is, I blame nerves.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                      The bow on my 3055 is like a sail, any good gust of wind and off she goes in her own direction no matter how much i work the throttles. I still cant back it into a slip, tried many many times, I fail..... I however have backed up diagonal to other boats without issue.....Dunno what my issue is, I blame nerves.
                      About the bow being a sail, you are absolutely correct. You can however by use of the throttles counteract the wind. It takes time and practice. It can be very un-nerving when docking with a 3055/305 in conditions of wind. You have to learn how to use the wind to your advantage and using the forward/reverse to counteract the actions of the wind against the hull.

I had to learn with my 3055 and fortunately I never had a major mishap while learning. In my boat club just about everyone whenever we head out on a cruise has to stern in when heading to the docks. I did not want to be the only one bow in on our cruises so with my 2655/2855/3055 I learned how to stern in with each boat. The hardest one to stern in was the 2655 with its Alpha drive but I did get the hang of it.

This coming season you need to go out somewhere where there is some open space and room to maneuver. First try it under calm or very low wind conditions to get the feel. Then someday when the winds have picked up do the same. You'll get the hang of it. I once had to back down to a dock about 150' with the wind blowing with boats on both sides to get to my spot on the dock. The nerves were on alert but I made it.

Just keep trying. Your skills will only improve with practice.
                      Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                      West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

Do you need a thruster? No. Do I have one, Yes. Point is, 90% of the time they are not required however in gusting winds and tight docking where backing in is the only option it sure bets having 10 nervous people with poles and lines waiting to catch you and it sure makes one heck of a difference on the pucker factor and blood pressure. When leaving the dock you do not even have to shove off, just a 2 second hit on the thruster joystick does it. Once you have used one you will never go back to being without. It,s just one of those accessories that makes boating more enjoyable just like a windlass or generator or AC or GPS. Non of those are required either but sure as heck makes the overall experience soooo much better :arr
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
                          Do you need a thruster? No. Do I have one, Yes. Point is, 90% of the time they are not required however in gusting winds and tight docking where backing in is the only option it sure bets having 10 nervous people with poles and lines waiting to catch you and it sure makes one heck of a difference on the pucker factor and blood pressure. When leaving the dock you do not even have to shove off, just a 2 second hit on the thruster joystick does it. Once you have used one you will never go back to being without. It,s just one of those accessories that makes boating more enjoyable just like a windlass or generator or AC or GPS. Non of those are required either but sure as heck makes the overall experience soooo much better :arr
                          Can't disagree with your statement. If I could buy a new boat it would have Axiux, Zeus or IPS. Then there is no need for either a bow or stern thruster. In 2007 I had the privilege to test drive a Maxum with the Axius system. WOW, we would all look like experts around the docks with any of those systems.
                          Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                          West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

are you still thinking about a bow thruster? we are at www.sidepowerthruster.com for any help you need.
                            Photo album - Bayliner 3255 Avanti - 1989

Comment

Working...
                            X