hin breakdown-gctid364217

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hin breakdown-gctid364217

I am trying to decode a HIN number the number is BVLN07FMD888 any help would be great thanks

It appears that BVL is the manufacturer id for Bayliner. N07FM is the serial number of the hull, D8 means April 8th, and 88 is the year of manufacture, 1988. Found this website which explains it all: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

Hope this helps,

JB

gatemindr1 wrote:
    I am trying to decode a HIN number the number is BVLN07FMD888 any help would be great thanks

Comment

Thanks for your help

Comment

gatemindr1 wrote:
        Thanks for your help
        This might help:

A typical Hull Identification Number, or HIN, consists of 12 letters and numbers, as in ABC 12345 D 4 04.

Here's what the letters and numbers mean:

ABC: the U.S. Coast Guard-assigned Manufacturer Identification Code. The MIC database is online at http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm

12345: the hull serial numbers assigned by the manufacturer, may be a combination of letters and numbers; the letters "I," "O" and "Q" are excluded because they could be mistaken for numbers.

D: the month of certification or manufacture. Indicates the month in which construction began, with "A" being January and "L" being December. In our example, "D" means April.

4: the year of certification or manufacturer. Indicates the last digit of the year, in this case, 2004, the boat was built.

04: the boat's model year.

BVL -Bayliner Marine Corp 103 Camp Rd Po Box 192 Vivian LA
        Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
        Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
        Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
        MMSI: 338030604

Comment

All - Newbie here, and attempted to find this little detail in the many posts on the forum, but have been unsuccessful here and on the Bayliner website. I have been able to decode my HIN almost all the way, and know that my 'new to me' Bayliner is a 1987 series that was built in August of 1986, and was the 8th of it's series. However, similar to gatemindr1, I have a model 'FM' - does anyone know what this designates? The boat is about 18.5' long with a 125hp Force, so by looking at NADA, I find it's either an 1810 Bass Striker, 1800 Cobra, 1809 Trophy Bass Pro, 1810 Trophy Fish N Ski or a 1910 Trophy CC. It has a left and right console, so if the 1910 CC stands for Center Console, I can rule that one out. Much of the interior has been reworked through the ages, so hints related to ski storage, etc are no longer helpful, but the transom area does have the connectors for the towbar connector.

Any ideas out there? Thanks!!!

Comment

All theBayliner boats were identified by a 2 letter designation, all (well almost all) the Trophys started with F. For many years most Runabouts (originally Capris) started with C (CX was often a 20ft bow rider....but not always). The letters originated in engineering and identified the model over it's life, marketing often changed the marketing designation (like the change from a 246 discovery to a 266 discovery recently) even though the model tooling did not change. Our only rule of thumb was that we could not have two boats with the same model designator in the same model year.

Comment

Thanks - narrowing down to Trophy at least limits the field some :-) I'm trying to register the boat here in Massachusetts, and the insurance company is asking me for the Model - I've sent an email to the Bayliner Website with the full HIN as well, but haven't heard back from them. I figure worst case I give the Insurance company one of the Trophy Model numbers and at least I'm in the ballpark. Greatly appreciate the info.

Comment

I would have thought calling the customer service guys would answer everything...I used to have a list but not anymore.

The original 4 number designations also used to mean something, the first 2 numbers were length (but this could be a nominal length, and the real length could be different by quite a bit) the 3rd digit was power (0 was outboard, 5 was sterndrive, 8 was inboards) 4th digit described the model (0 was a bowrider, 1 was a closed bow, 2 was a cuddy, 3 was a center console) This worked up till the early 90's when a new marketing VP deciced that this was too complicated (at least for him!) and did away with it!

Originally the 3 digit plant code was different for each US Marine (Bayliner) plant (and even sub plant, ie at pipestone, minnesota plant 2 built runabouts and plant 3 built cruisers for a long time, they had different codes) This avoided 2 boats have the same HIN as in the 80's and 90's some models were built at multiple plants. BLB was the overriding US Marine plant code and any boat built in the prototype shop used this. Nowadays (I believe) all the Bayliners use the same BLB plant code, no matter where they are actually built

Comment

Working...
                X