To sell or not to sell?-gctid342581

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To sell or not to sell?-gctid342581

What would you do? I have a 1996 2655, no A/C, no genset. I am looking to do one of two things, install a genset and A/C on the boat I have now. Or sell mine and buy a newer boat. I want a genset , A/C ,twin motors and something a little larger, but still trailerable, as I like to travel to different lakes and stay the weekend. The boat I have now is paid for and is pretty nice. If I sell my current boat I can afford to spend around 30k for something else. Don't know if its worth putting a whole bunch of money in my current boat or going with something newer that already has everything I want. What would you do?

Anything with twins will probably be too heavy to trailer.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Not worried about the weight since I have a 3500 diesel truck, the width is a bigger issue.

Comment

It depends upon your state laws as far as the rules for a wide load (usually 8' 6" or more is considered a wide load). I pull our 3055 several times a year. The first time is nerve racking at its best. From there it gets much better. You already pull at boat so you understand the mechanics of it and the safety.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

The boat market is down. Lots of great boats selling for cheap. That will work for you and against you.

You can probably find boats in the 28-30 foot range with twins and still be able to tow it. Look around and see what you can find---can't hurt to look.

Comment

erichz71 wrote:
            What would you do? Don't know if its worth putting a whole bunch of money in my current boat or going with something newer that already has everything I want. What would you do?
            I'd look to upgrade to a newer boat. A genset and AC will cost a lot to install. Better off using that money towards something newer that already has what you want. The other option that you didn't mention is using a portable genny, like the Honda eu2000i and then your left with only the AC issue. Just another option to think about.

Good luck.

-John
            2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
            Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
            Bravo II drives
            Closed-cooling

Comment

You may want to read through a recent thread I started:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...m-2855-to-3055

I am thinking about the same thing (2855 to 3055) since I would like to benefit from AC and Genset. I'm going to stay with the 2855 for the time being.. and use a portable generator with my portable AC/Heat.

Comment

erichz71 wrote:
                What would you do? I have a 1996 2655, no A/C, no genset. I am looking to do one of two things, install a genset and A/C on the boat I have now. Or sell mine and buy a newer boat. I want a genset , A/C ,twin motors and something a little larger, but still trailerable, as I like to travel to different lakes and stay the weekend. The boat I have now is paid for and is pretty nice. If I sell my current boat I can afford to spend around 30k for something else. Don't know if its worth putting a whole bunch of money in my current boat or going with something newer that already has everything I want. What would you do?
                I'll probably get flamed for this, but since you asked, here's my $.02 worth.

To get 'twins' you will have to go more than "a little larger" and that will, IMO, take trailering out of the equation. A "little bigger" is a 2855 and this will give you a quantum leap in usable space, but not twins. It is also not "trailerable" by guys like me. It is also the largest you will find with a single engine. The next step up is a 305/55, which will give you twins, but is definitely NOT trailerable, at least not by the average man.

A Honda genset and a portable A/C unit won't break the bank and can be applied to your current 2655, or if you want to move up "a little", a 2855.

We liked our 2655, but it was too small. We loved our 2855, but it was too fast. We now have a 3270 - big and slow.

$30k will get you into a late model (2001+) 2855 or a 1990-1996'ish 3055.

If it was me, I would opt for an older 3055 over a newer 2855, but if you want to trailer, 28 is the biggest you should be looking at, and that won't be a picnic to haul around.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Another thing to think of ... if you want a boat that is easy to trailer (ie narrow hull) AND with twins, access in the engine compartment is going to be a nightmare. I had a 29 ft Sea Ray narrow hull with twin V6's and wouldn't do it again.

Comment

I'm in just about the same situation. Whether to put some money into my 2655 (granted its a little older than yours), or get a 2855 with AC and install a gen. There are some good deals though, I saw a 1995 2855 w/ 454 B3 and AC/heat with 3xx hrs for $15000 a month or so ago. Tempted me...i know how you feel.

Comment

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/2721997622.html

Comment

Lots of good info here. I have a 305, bought it in S. Carolina, towed it to Arizona. Not for the average guy, as Ron said, but very doable if that's what you want. Anything over 8'6" is overwidth, anywhere. whether you get a permit, that's up to you. No permit = illegal. Will you get caught? Probably not. I have tons of experience, most do not. The 305 is 11 feet wide, the 285/2855 is just under 10 feet wide. Doesn't sound like much, but it is, especially for frequent towing. BTW, notice my current boat is a 2858? Ask questions if you have them...
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I have been using the Honda eu2000 and a drop in A/C, its a pain and im ready to put my money into something built in. Im not worried about trailering it on the road, I have alot of experience, and a large barn to store it. My biggest deal is do I want to put 6K or more into my boat now, or put that into a newer boat. Most of the boats I have looked at are 30' and have a 9' width, I think if the boat is under 10' of width, I won't get pulled over.

Comment

I will put in a plug for a 3055 with factory air / gen, but I certainly would not want to tow it around. The 11 foot beam is very nice, lots of engine room, even with the gen in the middle. Great cabin layout too. Good luck.

Comment

R&Jonthebay wrote:
                              The boat market is down. Lots of great boats selling for cheap. [COLOR]"#000080" wrote:
                              That will work for you and against you. [/COLOR]

You can probably find boats in the 28-30 foot range with twins and still be able to tow it. Look around and see what you can find---can't hurt to look.
                              Yup just sold my 2655 in October.
                              Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Working...
                              X