Merc 3.0 MPI-gctid363934

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merc 3.0 MPI-gctid363934

Does anyone have any first hand experience or opinions on the new fuel injected 3.0? I bought my 1750 3.0 new back in '96 and have not had one single problem with it. I've been shopping 192 Discoveries and am weighing my power options. I can still get one carburated but I was hoping to modernize a little after 16 years. I know all the classic pros and cons. I want to hear from somebody who owns or has at least operated the 3.0 MPI.......Thanks

I think its too new to find anyone who has tried it. That said, its just the same old tried and true 3.0 with an MPI system on it. Take everything you like about your 3.0 and remove the finicky carb.

Frankly they should have gone to MPI on all these engines years ago.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I agree Matt. I'm hoping to hear from someone in a warm weather state that has had a chance to wring one out. They are in stock here in the dealerships. I'm all for easy starts and smooth idle but I've also never been stranded by an oxygen sensor code in my carb motor.

Glen

Comment

Unchained wrote:
        I agree Matt. I'm hoping to hear from someone in a warm weather state that has had a chance to wring one out. They are in stock here in the dealerships. I'm all for easy starts and smooth idle but I've also never been stranded by an oxygen sensor code in my carb motor.

Glen
        Nor will you be, Glen- the MPI units on Mercruisers are proven technology on the 4.3 and larger engines. Not only do you get the easier starting and increased economy, you get easier troubleshooting, SmartCraft compatibility, and more. Go for it.

Comment

Unchained wrote:

Glen
          When was the last time an 02 sensor stranded you in your car?

There should be a limp home mode in MPI just like on a car.

No need to be afraid of change.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I had a 192 with aa 4.3 and it was good but i think a 3.0 might be a bit underpowered. i had 3 3.0s and loved them in the smaller boats and the 192 is a lot heavier.my 2 cents

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:

Matt,

I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree about not being stranded. I guess the reservation is that if it does start throwing codes that means a trip to the dealer to resolve. Even if it's not serious, it could be expensive.

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:

jamie mac wrote:
                I had a 192 with aa 4.3 and it was good but i think a 3.0 might be a bit underpowered. i had 3 3.0s and loved them in the smaller boats and the 192 is a lot heavier.my 2 cents
                Jamie, thanks for the advice. I think I would be alright with the 3.0. I pull a tube once in a while but we don't do any skiing. I mostly fish or just hang out on the hook. I'm not trying to win any races, so I think the fuel economy would be more important to me. Different topic but is the 3.0 MPI offered with DTS? I'd really like to lose that bang into gear on every shift.

Comment

Working...
                X