Couple new toys.-gctid363922

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple new toys.-gctid363922

Well I finally found an engine for my dinghy. Picked up this beauty, a 1984 8hp envinrude. I was looking at 9.9's but they were a bit more then I wanted to spend right now, may upgrade to one later depending on how this one does. The price was right, it was only 10min from my house and it was actually STILL FOR SALE! Amazing. Now to get davits......ouch $$$

We also picked up a new ice maker, cant remember who had this on their 3055/305 but thank you!! Already had it running at home and its a great little unit.

one of many w00t

Great find there!!!

We take our ice maker with us on long trips to the north of San Juan Islands and it comes in handy. No more buying $3-4 small bags of ice...
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
      Great find there!!!

We take our ice maker with us on long trips to the north of San Juan Islands and it comes in handy. No more buying $3-4 small bags of ice...
      Yup now the generator sits where the cooler did under the seat perfectly. Only need the cooler on the long runs, no more bags of ice!

Comment

biohazard wrote:
        Well I finally found an engine for my dinghy. Picked up this beauty, a 1984 8hp envinrude. I was looking at 9.9's but they were a bit more then I wanted to spend right now, may upgrade to one later depending on how this one does. The price was right, it was only 10min from my house and it was actually STILL FOR SALE! Amazing. Now to get davits......ouch $$$
        As my 4 yr old grandaughter says its sooooooooooooo cute :livid:

Good score! I have to find a dinghy that costs less than my boat and give it a try.

Comment

Ryan, I'm gonna need a handicap for our P-town dink race. I don't think my '61 Johnson 5.5 will be a fair match for your mighty evinrude.
          Doug
          Hanging Loose
          98 Carver 350 Mariner
          2013-
          KRUSTY KRAB
          2001 305
          5.7 BII
          2006-2013

Comment

You are going to enjoy having a dinghy. It makes living on the hook more enjoyable. For us because of a dog, a necessity.

You will find you may use the dinghy as much as the big boat, hours wise.

Price of fuel if no other reason.
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

carguy wrote:
              Ryan, I'm gonna need a handicap for our P-town dink race. I don't think my '61 Johnson 5.5 will be a fair match for your mighty evinrude.
              Oh I am in it for the win this year, your going down!!!

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                You are going to enjoy having a dinghy. It makes living on the hook more enjoyable. For us because of a dog, a necessity.

You will find you may use the dinghy as much as the big boat, hours wise.

Price of fuel if no other reason.
                Yup exactly, its funny how you get bigger boats, then end up getting a small boat again. We miss fishing alot and being able to go to the docks that re full. The 30' is a beast to get onto a packd public dock, I dont even attempt it most of the time.

Comment

We have reached the point we tow a 16.5 Sea Nymph with a 90 Evinrude E tec and a 2.5 Suzuki trolling motor.

We use it every day, sometimes for several hours fishing. We take it 30 miles to town if we need something. We think nothing of a 10 mile trip for no good purpose. All the while the 38 is resting comfortable on the hook.

The dinghy for us makes our summer fullfilling. It gives us go fast enjoyment without a large fuel burn.

We range a bit more now but we used our 10' RIB with a 15 hp outboard much like we do now. We went for miles with that boat also and fished a lot.

A dinghy is the frosting on the cake.

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned

Comment

Hi Doug,

"We have reached the point we tow a 16.5 Sea Nymph with a 90 Evinrude E tec and a 2.5 Suzuki trolling motor"

We agree with you 100% and are considering a larger support boat to tow.

Can you add any detail on towing the Sea Nymph and your experiences?

How heavy do you thik it is.. how does it tow at planing speeds...how does your tow bridle stand up.

Anything like that would help a bunch... thanks.
                    Northport NY

Comment

crowder.dr wrote:
                      As my 4 yr old grandaughter says its sooooooooooooo cute :livid:Good score! I have to find a dinghy that costs less than my boat and give it a try.
                      Take a look at the Hurleys. Easy to use

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg&#91;/img]

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg&#91;/img]Here is where we got themhttp://"http://hurleymarine.com/Davi...Directory.html

Comment

I have spent alot of time looking at davits, my head spins from it. I am going to be going with weaver davits I think, the onyl downside to them really is the steep price. After the kit, quick release's, standoff poles, its around 600+......Ouch..

My dock neighbor has these on his boat, they are simply amazing.

Comment

Ryan

The 8hp will do fine. You bought the same dinghy we have, the aquamarine 9.8. I have a Mariner 8hp, she will plane with up to 3 people, tops out at around 20 mph with one person. The 9.9 won't get you much more performance over the 8. If you really need some grunt, get a 15 hp.

Comment

ronlord wrote:
                            Ryan

The 8hp will do fine. You bought the same dinghy we have, the aquamarine 9.8. I have a Mariner 8hp, she will plane with up to 3 people, tops out at around 20 mph with one person. The 9.9 won't get you much more performance over the 8. If you really need some grunt, get a 15 hp.
                            hehe doug had also recommended a 15 . I was looking for 9.9 but around here they want 500-600 so it was a bit outa my price range, I think well be happy with the 8. If its just me and it planes im satisified.

I am now trying my 1st attempt at registering the dinghy, just emailed aqua for a proof of sale and statement of origin. We will see how this goes...

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
                              Hi Doug,

"We have reached the point we tow a 16.5 Sea Nymph with a 90 Evinrude E tec and a 2.5 Suzuki trolling motor"

We agree with you 100% and are considering a larger support boat to tow.

Can you add any detail on towing the Sea Nymph and your experiences?

How heavy do you thik it is.. how does it tow at planing speeds...how does your tow bridle stand up.

Anything like that would help a bunch... thanks.
                              I don't know the weight but it pulls hard. Even at slow speeds I cannot pull it in. But I carry a lot of extra gas also.

I usually run at hull speeds but by adjusting the length at faster speeds it tows well. Not much different that the 14' McKee (Whaler look alike) I towed many thousand miles and in the roughest of conditions.

I use synthetic rope, 1/4 inch I think and never had a problem with the rope. I have broke snaps you wouldn't think possible. Use the strongest you can find here.

I say never a problem with the rope but I did have a problem with my knots. Synthetic line is slippery and normal knots that work with regular line don't always work with synthetic. In a terrible sea I had my knot come undone. Picking it up in those conditions isn't what you would choose to do. I retied it and the same thing happened. A knot I used for years without a problem. I learn slow sometimes but I learned the second time I needed a new knot. That was not a fun day.

I use a large mooring snubber attached to my tow line to take up some of the shock. I use a Y from each stern cleat with a line attached to the middle of it. If you use one, get a big one. You will easily stretch a smaller one full length.

The thing to avoid is bringing it up close in a following sea. Well you know about that.

As you know it is a bit of a pain at some docks. We just fender it off and put it along the opposite side to the dock when necessary.

Just letting it flop back there until you can secure it works at the right kind of dock also.

To offset that its always ready without having to remove it from the boat. I like that.

Doug
                              Started boating 1955
                              Number of boats owned 32
                              Bayliners
                              3870 presently owned

Comment

Working...
                              X