No announcement yet.

How to Escape My Slip ?!-gctid363682

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess that it's only me that worries about ripping a cleat out by using it to swing the boat around?

Can they really be that strong? 4 tons of boat here!

Comment

I'm having trouble figuring out why an attractive young woman ever has to boat alone...

Depending on the dock construction, you may be able to tie fenders on them sideways. I've got a couple like that in my slip, and I keep them waxed up, so I can slide along them if needed. Sometimes I do boat alone and we often have a wind that pushes me against one finger.

Comment

Depending on the wind: move tour boat FWD about 1/3, then give the bow a shove, then as you jump in, give the stern a slight shove ( be sure you have 1-2 bummpers at the stern) then give it ehough throttle to move out. I forgot, turn you wheel to port some prior to all of this.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Start with having your wheel so you know you will go approximately straight ahead. If you do not have a rudder indicator, count the number of turns you steering wheel makes from hard left to hard right. Divide by two will tell you how many turns to turn the wheel to get you going approximately straight. An important concept to know is that boats do not steer like a car. Boats steer by pushing the stern the opposite direction. To turn right, the steering pushes the stern to left. My suggestion is with your wheel set to straight, give a push away from the dock while in the boat with a pole. Then put it in forward and turn the wheel to the right. This will swing the stern of the boat away from the dock and turn you facing the shore. Now put the engine in reverse and back out, either enough where you are farther away from the shore to turn around comfortably or back out all the way.

Ken

Pugetsoundog (woof)

Comment

what about pulling forward, and as soon as you clear the dock turn the wheel hard to starboard and hit reverse with some throttle. This should bring your bow into the wind. turn hard to port and go forward, again with some throttle, at least as much as it takes. This should get you pointed in the right direction. You may have to get back into reverse hard to starboard, if the wind is bad...

Comment

I love my bow thruster.

That's a tough spot, by yourself in the wind.

Comment

ask someone farther down the dock if they want to swap slips. That way they dont have to walk so far and they will have better security.

The marina should not care.

Comment

judging from your picture.....the bow is pointed out from the dock....so...for me this would be easy....we often have winds on the river that pins us to the docks..with that said...I usually walk the boat as far to the end of the finger pier and then start pushing the bow out from the bow....walking down the length of the boat while pushing the bow further out and away from the finger pier....at the stern I jump on board and quickly hit fwd to push me away from the pier...then if it's really windy..you may have to put some throttle in to keep making way....

now if your mow in...then it's a different matter...again..walking the boat to the end of the pier....with a good length of midship line attached to a pier end cleat....kinda looped around the cleat...while adding some reverse.....as the bow swings out and towards the wind...release the line and slip into fwd.....then recover the line asap ..you can stow it later...

:arr arr

Comment

Nose in - simple.

Comment

If you do not have a neighbor consider a midship line tied to the middle cleat on the port side the one where your neighbor should be. Loop it around that dock side cleat and back to your boat, pull it tight. Bump it in and out of forward as the line draws tight on the cleat and your moving forward it will pull you away from the starboard dock and closer to the port dock. when you have clearance haul the line in fast and take off.

Comment

Have you considered using a deck pole? Our telescoping deck pole is used frequently. If you're bow in, turn the outdrive to back out straight. Leave fenders on the port side. Stay in your boat, tap into reverse and use your deck pole to gently guide the boat and if the bow taps the dock, the fenders will be in position to do their job.

Comment

Plan "B" wrote:
                          When you install your Wanderfin I think you will be pleasently suprised at the control you will now have.

I always leave my slip slowly (fwd-neutral-fwd-neutral etc) but constantly using the outdrive to steer the

boat like a rudder on a sailboat. Once out of the slip I would turn the outdrive to the direction desired

and give it a little fwd-neutral-line it up and go. As another member suggested, use floats as a make believe

slip in open water and practice-practice. I bet you can master it in a day or two. Then you will get 3 green thingys.

John
                          +1 to the fin thingy.

I may sound like a sales pitch man but After attaching the twin fin to the out drive many of the worrisome manuvers became no big deal. I almost forgot about some of the stressful expirences single handing my 2452 off the trailer onto a weekend marina finger dock in a crosswind with everyone anxious for their turn and the usual group watching for a big mess up. I wish it were easier for people to try before buying. I did see a guy that had some damage to his cavitation plate so it should be a real concern. I mounted mine a little differently and I think it should be stronger but if it ever hit something there would be some repair work to do. At this point it's well worth the risk for me.
                          Carl

Comment

BLCarl wrote:
                            +1 to the fin thingy.

I may sound like a sales pitch man but After attaching the twin fin to the out drive many of the worrisome manuvers became no big deal. I almost forgot about some of the stressful expirences single handing my 2452 off the trailer onto a weekend marina finger dock in a crosswind with everyone anxious for their turn and the usual group watching for a big mess up. I wish it were easier for people to try before buying. I did see a guy that had some damage to his cavitation plate so it should be a real concern. I mounted mine a little differently and I think it should be stronger but if it ever hit something there would be some repair work to do. At this point it's well worth the risk for me.
                            hi Carl

Can you possibly elaborate or maybe take a pic of this?

I too bought a Wanderfin but now have noticed that the mounting surfact - cavitation plate - is not straight. That means that the WF and the plate don't have nice, flat surfaces to mount with. Instead my cavitation plate is kinda curved. Not good

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                              I'm having trouble figuring out why an attractive young woman ever has to boat alone...

Depending on the dock construction, you may be able to tie fenders on them sideways. I've got a couple like that in my slip, and I keep them waxed up, so I can slide along them if needed. Sometimes I do boat alone and we often have a wind that pushes me against one finger.
                              Well thank you, but I'm not super attractive, not by any means! No Angelina Jolie here friend.......

I have kind of a horse face, IMO

But despite that, I am single again by choice and shall remain that way!

Solo Sarah the nun.

Plenty of friends to play with during the weekends, but I go out after work a lot and have my suppers out of the water. This is usually alone.

Thanks for the suggestion on making my escape!

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                                I guess that it's only me that worries about ripping a cleat out by using it to swing the boat around?

Can they really be that strong? 4 tons of boat here!
                                If you are using THAT much power, you REALLY have a problem.

About 5 HP and a stratigiately placed line will work.

I used to teach boat handing for the Coast Guard auxiliary for 26 years.

The key is :try it and practice.

[SIZE]5 wrote:
                                Bumpers?????[/SIZE]
                                Captharv 2001 2452
                                "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
                                X