Storage of Honda EU2000i.-gctid363647

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage of Honda EU2000i.-gctid363647

I just bought a Honda EU2000i yesterday. The sales person called me up two hours later and said a lot of people don't see this in the owners manual: "you need to run the generator at least 30 minutes once a month or the brushes (Can't remember exactly what he said) will get corroded and the generator will not put out any power".

I can't find this anywhere in the manual. The manual reads about storing the generator for long periods of time but I don't see anywhere reading what he said.

Has anyone else been told this? Has anyone else had power problem after storing it for a year or longer?

I don't have the Honda, but a knoock-off. I have not heard of that specific instruction, but in the corrosive, humid marine environment, we probably want to run these little engines on a fairly routine basis. I would suggest that you routinely use the feature which allows the fuel to be shut off prior to it reaching the carb anytime you don't paln on using the genny for more than a couple of weeks. This should reduce any gumming in the tiny orifices there. As for the brushes corrodiing, ummm, I would think any bit of corrosion would quickly be knocked off during initial start-up, unless an extreme situation. Read the manual and abide by its instruction.
    Mike & Dixi
    2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
    Closed Cooling

Comment

I have not heard of this and have always tried to store my EU2000 empty but for some reason I did not this past winter. It started up on the second pull (after I put the choke in the right spot)... so it was really 4 or 5 pulls and that was after 5 months. As has been stated, if yours is garage kept and not on saltwater, I can't see a reason why the armature would corrode abnormally and not be cleaned up with the first couple of turns when it is running.
      Doug ;}
      MMSI: 338068776
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Pure Bravo Sierra.

I have drained the gas in mine and stored it last september.

A week ago, went on an overnight cruise, filled it with gas, and ran it all night.

BTW, the brushes are in a sealed compartment.........
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

I have the same generator and also a larger one for my house. I make sure each are started and put under load at least every other month. Just for 5 minutes or so. My reasoning has nothing to do with the brushes, but more just to get new gas cycling through the carb to avoid gumming. I also always use stabil or some other fuel stabilizer in the tanks.
          2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
          Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
          Bravo II drives
          Closed-cooling

Comment

The stabil or seafoam is a must. The passages in these tiny carbs for small engines gum up very easily otherwise, sometimes in a couple weeks if it's hot out and the fuel evaporates fast leaving the gum. As for the brushes, I don't think it's an issue if you're not storing it on the boat for along time with no use, and just turning the motor over via the pull start without actually starting it should also rotate the armature and reduce the probability of the brushes hanging up.

I like to run my "machines" about once a month that don't have to be winterized. The bike, tiller, generator, etc etc.

Comment

I empty mine of gas each year, it sits in my basement until spring unless needed. I have only had it 3 years but have no issues so far.

Comment

I have had mine for at least 10 years Just keep the gas clean I try to drain and then "Run it dry" It has set for years Fresh gas and a pull or two and it works fine

Comment

10+ years of running the carb dry and storing in the basement all winter. Starts on the second pull every spring. Only generators that "need" to be run once a month on load are stationary ones supplying emergency power, and they are usually diesel. Follow directions in your owner's manual and you will be good.

Comment

Darn I thought this was going to be one of those asking if they could stow it in the engine compartment :go-

Comment

That guy was a retard as far as the brushes, however I've always made a point to run mine every 1-2 months and always keep stabilized fuel in it.

Comment

Working...
                      X