Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mold removal...-gctid342459

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    mold removal...-gctid342459

    this fall/winter has been damp..but not overly incredibly wet as in last yr....so...the mold wasn't bad on the inside of the canvas....up until this last week....went to the boat to do my normal checks and low and behold the mold in the canvas had easily grown to epic proportions....so..brought a bag of oxyclean detergent and went to work on the mold.....

    since my top is black...I didn't want to use any bleaching chemicals...on my other boat it was easy with the tan top.....little bleach and a soapy mix in a spray bottle and a brush....

    so...the oxyclean worked extremely well.....even got one of the gunwhales on the side of the boat all cleaned off extremely easily......brush on.....let sit for about 30 seconds and brush off..rinse.....must say...I'm surprised...I thought I was gonna have to get a whip and chair to go into the cockpit...that stuff was snapping and barking when I got to the boat.....I'm amazed at how fast it grew this past week.....

    :arr arrr

    #2
    I wonder if oxclean would kill the mold spores like bleach does.It would stop the mold from growing back sooner if it did.Bleach on black not a good idea is it.Spray nine kicks it in butt too but its really strong.

    Comment


      #3
      Wow, a boating thread from Seapup? Now I know the earth will end by years end... :kidding

      Good info.. thanks... and please feel free to post more boating stuff... :worth

      seapuppy wrote:
      this fall/winter has been damp..but not overly incredibly wet as in last yr....so...the mold wasn't bad on the inside of the canvas....up until this last week....went to the boat to do my normal checks and low and behold the mold in the canvas had easily grown to epic proportions....so..brought a bag of oxyclean detergent and went to work on the mold.....

      since my top is black...I didn't want to use any bleaching chemicals...on my other boat it was easy with the tan top.....little bleach and a soapy mix in a spray bottle and a brush....

      so...the oxyclean worked extremely well.....even got one of the gunwhales on the side of the boat all cleaned off extremely easily......brush on.....let sit for about 30 seconds and brush off..rinse.....must say...I'm surprised...I thought I was gonna have to get a whip and chair to go into the cockpit...that stuff was snapping and barking when I got to the boat.....I'm amazed at how fast it grew this past week.....

      :arr arrr
      Doug ;}
      MMSI: 338068776
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)


      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
        Wow, a boating thread from Seapup? Now I know the earth will end by years end... :kidding

        Good info.. thanks... and please feel free to post more boating stuff... :worth
        Wow, I had to go back to the top of the thread to verify that it really was Seapup. Way to go.

        As for the mold, I just vacuumed the inside of my top as it was starting to get a little fuzzy. I will wait till spring to take it down and give it a proper wash.
        SoundDreams.org

        Comment


          #5
          Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
          Wow, a boating thread from Seapup? Now I know the earth will end by years end... :kidding

          Good info.. thanks... and please feel free to post more boating stuff... :worth
          I'm still waiting for the punch line.
          Ken & Linda, Canemah Oregon
          1984 Bayliner 2750 "Patriot"

          Comment


            #6
            Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
            Wow, a boating thread from Seapup? Now I know the earth will end by years end... :kidding

            Good info.. thanks... and please feel free to post more boating stuff... :worth
            ouch guys!!!....I've done a mess of boating relate postings....although the last one was about a certain crash I had....and the repairs....but ....well.......um.....ok...it's been awhile.......but I do work on my boat from time to time....

            :arr arr

            Comment


              #7
              Careful with the bleach even on white or tan tops. It kills mold but it also weakens thread. I used to bleach my top every spring but last year I had to have the entire top restitched becasue the threads kept ripping out. The guy at the upholstery shop said it was the bleach that caused it.

              I would like to find a substitute because mold is alway a problem around here. I find it every spring and have to spend a good weekend getting rid of it. Mildew in the cabin liner is also a big problem. That stuff does not come out. I'm using a space heater on a timer this winter.

              Comment


                #8
                Good scrubbing on grass with tub and tile cleaner followed by 3m waterproofing afterwards worked on ours. Just be aware that after any strong canvas cleaning it will lose its water proofing. Our leaked bad but 3m fixed that right up. Had not issue with loss of color on blue canvas and threads did not seem worse for ware.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Seems I read somewhere just recently that Bleach DOESN'T REALLY KILL MOLD! Vinegar works better. Sorry, can't remember the source but it stuck with me.

                  Anybody??

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Steve... This is the best way to kill the mold: Load your shotgun with number 12 shot and have a field day on your canvas. I guarantee it'll get rid of the mold! go-

                    But on a serious note, put a dehumidifier in your cockpit. You'll be surprised to see how much of a difference it will make. Ever since I put a dehumidifier in my boat, I haven't seen an ounce of mold. Mold needs moisture to grow. If you deprive the environment of moisture, you will deprive the mold of the ability to grow. Having a canvas, you probably won't be able to get rid of all of the moisture...but I'm pretty sure you'll see an improvement. I'd suggest using a peltier dehumidifier instead of one with a compressor. It's much much much easier on the electricity bill.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Like Stompor, I would just vacuum the hell out of it twice a year. Be sure to wear a dust mask, or you'll come down with cold-like symptoms for a couple of days.

                      I was amazed at how bad it could get, and equally amazed at what a great job a powerful vac will do.
                      Mike P
                      The Bahamas
                      Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

                      Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X