Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Slip, Some Fireworks, a Crash, and a Gash-gctid361358

I am dangerous, make no mistake about it

So the weather here is not to be believed, just so warm, and so I took the tarp off of my boat y'day!

And riding that wave of euphoria, I went into the basement and carried those impossibly heavy batteries out to the backyard and hefted the dang things into the boat - PHEW,,,,first time that I have done that without hurting myself. Life is good right?

So now I am in the battery cubby and I am hooking stuff back up (Yes, I actually know how to do this ) But dipschitt Sarah is one careless little boater............. The Slip came as I dropped my wrench - [a Craftsman, 7/16', rusty Box End job] onto the battery where it conveniently touched both the Neg & Pos battery terminals! The Fireworks came immediately with a loud, profound ZAP'ping noise as sparks filled my eyes,,,,,the reaction causing me to Crash my head into the top of the battery cubby opening,,,,,,,which of course led to the ensuing Gash that I put into my skull!

Well, the batteries are connected now! But I probably did no good to that battery and I am probably extremely lucky that nothing on the boat was connected yet and so nothing was ruined. But my head hurts and I bled onto my pillowcase last nite

Boating: It's one dangerous pastime,,,,,at least the way that I do it!!

Public Service Time

See Sarah / Sarah has a boat and tries to do everything she can on it / Watch Sarah get hurt,,,again! / Don't be like Sarah

YEA!...Spring is here....along with the continuing adventures of Capt Sarah & her DINK "BUD". Please be careful, I for one enjoy reading about your adventures in boating:coo-

Comment

Sarah, we have all been there, done that. You have the guts to admit it. You are one up one us!!
      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
      1998 3055 Ciera
      (yes, a 1998)
      Previous boat: 1993 3055
      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
      Sea Doo XP
      Sea Doo GTI SE
      Life is short. Boats are cool.
      The family that plays together stays together.
      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Sarah

Glad to hear you made it through that one.

The trick with working around batteries is to wrap electrical tape around your tools.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

ksanders wrote:
          Sarah

Glad to hear you made it through that one.

The trick with working around batteries is to wrap electrical tape around your tools.
          So I should stop trying to Google rubber wrenches?

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
            I learned about the tape after doing it myself, but on a MUCH larger bank of batteries.

Its a mistake I only needed to make once.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
              Maybe look into a helmet?

Comment

How about you use a wrench that is too short to touch both battery poles?

Not even boating season yet and already you are starting your "adventures"...

Glad you are OK and hope the boat did not take too much abuse with your noggin slamming the upper door frame. :kidding
                Doug ;}
                MMSI: 338068776
                "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I think we should all just start calling her "Sparky"

Comment

Once done, you seldom make the same mistake.

Comment

Short wrenches! On a boat, they are pretty handy, like for pulling the drain plug out of the oil cooler.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Been there done that! My best boating fu-Pa............. I was helping my friend on his 40' sundeck. I removed the engine hatch's in the salon area. Turned around to pick up a tool when, my friend asked for the cordless drill across on the table. I turned back and stepped right in

the engine room opening. crashed and burned, one knee into the top of the engine, my right rib cage hit the frame of the hatch's on the way down. landed in the engine room floor. :sorrow: I was HURT!op-

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                          I am dangerous, make no mistake about it

So the weather here is not to be believed, just so warm, and so I took the tarp off of my boat y'day!

And riding that wave of euphoria, I went into the basement and carried those impossibly heavy batteries out to the backyard and hefted the dang things into the boat - PHEW,,,,first time that I have done that without hurting myself. Life is good right?

So now I am in the battery cubby and I am hooking stuff back up (Yes, I actually know how to do this ) But dipschitt Sarah is one careless little boater............. The Slip came as I dropped my wrench - [a Craftsman, 7/16', rusty Box End job] onto the battery where it conveniently touched both the Neg & Pos battery terminals! The Fireworks came immediately with a loud, profound ZAP'ping noise as sparks filled my eyes,,,,,the reaction causing me to Crash my head into the top of the battery cubby opening,,,,,,,which of course led to the ensuing Gash that I put into my skull!

Well, the batteries are connected now! But I probably did no good to that battery and I am probably extremely lucky that nothing on the boat was connected yet and so nothing was ruined. But my head hurts and I bled onto my pillowcase last nite

Boating: It's one dangerous pastime,,,,,at least the way that I do it!!

Public Service Time

See Sarah / Sarah has a boat and tries to do everything she can on it / Watch Sarah get hurt,,,again! / Don't be like Sarah
                          In NASCAR, they say "If you ain't rubbin', you ain't racin'!" My take (expericence) for boating is, "If you ain't cuttin' (something), you ain't cruisin'!"

Comment

Dang Sarah, sorry to hear that.

If I were to recount every time something went wrong or I hurt myself, I'd miss the whole boating season while I typed out all the stories.

Your story makes me wonder what's in store for me this year.

Comment

Oh the stories I could tell...if you ain't bleedin', you ain't boatin'.

You must have extremely good karma. The sea gods smile on you...:worth

Comment

Working...
                              X