Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How dry should canvas keep my cockpit-gctid360578

Hi Folks,

So the boat finally returned to the water today, after having sat in the boat yard for about 10 days. Over that 10 days we've gotten a fair amount of precipitation here in Seattle, over 2 inches in the last 7 days, and hardly any sun. I stepped into the boat today to have carpets that were pretty wet. I'm pretty sure the canvas top is the original, although it's clear the side panels have been replaced. Is this par for the course with canvas? Has mine seen better days, and perhaps is ready for replacement? Or is there something I can treat it with?

Cheers,

Cameron

Canvas tops need water proofing treatments periodically. I've had great results from Aqua-Tite. There a others that are also recommended.

Comment

I don't expect that my canvas can keep any amout of water out of the cockpit. I do expect that I don't get dripped on. I don't expect that my cockpit sole is bone dry.

If I paid 7k for canvas, i might feel differently. I didn't. It's a boat, in the rain. Water is going to get in.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Treat the canvas with 3M 303 to re waterproof it.Not cheap but best I have found so far. Some rain will find ways here or there at times but a soaked carpet tells me that its more then water finding a lose zipper or other spot to leak through. Before putting on any water proofing it would be stupid not to clean the canvas 100% to get any worked in dirt out and to get the start of any mold killed. To kill the mold use a bath and tile cleaner but rise afterwards well Do not clean canvas on hard surface if possible, best to clean on grass area of your yard if possible

Comment

aa2300 wrote:
          Hi Folks,

So the boat finally returned to the water today, after having sat in the boat yard for about 10 days. Over that 10 days we've gotten a fair amount of precipitation here in Seattle, over 2 inches in the last 7 days, and hardly any sun. I stepped into the boat today to have carpets that were pretty wet. I'm pretty sure the canvas top is the original, although it's clear the side panels have been replaced. Is this par for the course with canvas? Has mine seen better days, and perhaps is ready for replacement? Or is there something I can treat it with?

Cheers,

Cameron
          Had similar problems with our 2855.

My advice is to take your carpets out and use them only when you are cruising. Also since the season is still pretty young, and the weather grim, drape a cheap 9x12 tarp over the canvas until it clears up a bit.

My problem areas were around the windshield where the canvas attached to the frame.

Like others mention, it's a good idea to treat the canvas every year. DO NOT remove it for cleaning.

My $.02.

Comment

hikepat wrote:
            Treat the canvas with 3M 303 to re waterproof it.Not cheap but best I have found so far. Some rain will find ways here or there at times but a soaked carpet tells me that its more then water finding a lose zipper or other spot to leak through. Before putting on any water proofing it would be stupid not to clean the canvas 100% to get any worked in dirt out and to get the start of any mold killed. To kill the mold use a bath and tile cleaner but rise afterwards well Do not clean canvas on hard surface if possible, best to clean on grass area of your yard if possible
            +1 303 is good stuff.

Comment

I second the 3M product.

We use it on both boats. The canvas is now 5 years old and doesn't leak at all. Before treating we would get a little mist in a hard rain, but after treating nothing comes through. Even the larger holes made by the stitching get sealed fairly well. I've been very happy with the product.

Comment

Agreed, 303 is the perfect product to use. When you're looking for it, be aware that it's not a 3M product.

http://www.303products.com/

Comment

3m clean first but take the canvas off two people required for your boat. Wait for that dry day simple wipe down with a towel to remove mold and clean with canvas cleaner. Dry and spray with the 3m stuff. I hear ya on the rain but mine never leaks! As for the tarp be careful not to let a tarp rub on your canvas.

Comment

Every year I take my canvas off, wash it well, leave it for a day to dry then use 303. It works very well. Another suggestion is that when you change your canvas you have all roof sections made with the sunbrella (or other marine grade material) with the vinyl underside. This will remain leak proof for the life of the material.

http://www.jtstopshop.com/products/p...cBrand=0&page=

Comment

I remove the canvas every year and wash it in my washing machine at home with a mild soap and a capful of bleach. I run it thru the washing machine at least twice depending on the color of the rinse water. I let it hang dry for a day just hanging in the basement before I spray it (til it is soaked) with 303 fabric guard protectorant.. Once you have done this, schedule a rainy day with a 6 pack and a good cd on your boat to see where it is leaking in... be prepared to to maybe upgrade this to a 12 pack or even an 18 pack and 3-4 cds but I'm sure you will find the leaks that are causing the entire carpet to get wet.... It's all about research, if you know what I mean.....

Comment

Working...
                      X