Interesting Portable Generator Story-gctid340243

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/3...men-found.html
    John Rupp
    1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
    5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
    Starshine
    Hino 135

" running a portable generator in the engine compartment inside a boat on a trailer?"

Darwin nominee?
    Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

You bet!!!
      John Rupp
      1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
      5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
      Starshine
      Hino 135

Comment

with all due disrespect,

Unfortunately they have probably already contributed to the gene pool.

Comment

A sad story to be sure,not thinking killed them, you think maybe alcohol, or something else clouded their judgement?

Comment

Didn't they know that they are supposed to run the blower when running the portable genny in the engine compartment.ops Like someone else said I hope they did not breed.
            Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
            West River Yacht & Cruising Club
            www.wrycc.com

Comment

They must not be BOC members.

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                They must not be BOC members.
                Not anymore...
                Doug ;}
                MMSI: 338068776
                "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Too bad. They never even got to put it in the water. I'll never understand why people don't understand the basic fundamentals of exhaust systems, especially the portable sort. I guess they just never learn. I bet there was a tad of booze involved in the equation as well.......

Comment

you just can't fix stoopid.....if they were members here and asked "can we run the honda in the engine bay"...I'm sure they would have been run off by people calling them names and yelling at them..........

carbon monoxide is nothing to play with......if you are thinking of running your genny in the engine bay!!!...DON'T!!!!!...

:arr arr

Comment

captharv wrote:
                      " running a portable generator in the engine compartment inside a boat on a trailer?"

Darwin nominee?
                      Interesting quote. Did you intervew someone at the scene? It's not in the article:actually, not much in the article. Maybe the battery killed them...it was in the engine compartment too.....maybe.....

Comment

Two men were found dead Friday morning inside a boat on a trailer at the Pilot House Marina in the Florida Keys off mile marker 99.4 oceanside. Initial investigation suggested the deaths may have been accidental.Monroe County Sheriff's Office detectives found the owner of the 32-foot Wellcraft, Bernard Boucher, 45, and Benoit Paquet, 58, both from Fort Lauderdale, in the boat's cabin; there was a portable generator in the engine compartment.Both men exhibited signs of possible carbon monoxide poisoning; their skin was reddish pink in color. They had no other visible injuries, said Deputy Becky Herrin. She said a friend of Boucher said Boucher came to the Keys to pick up his boat to trailer it back to Fort Lauderdale.The bodies will be taken for the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/3...#storylink=cpy it said Accidental!!! and said there was a portable generator in the engine compartment !!!Pretty sums it up ?We all know what that means

Comment

I will never put a portable genny in my engine compartment, BUT, what if you take these precautions:

1) Run the exhaust via sealed tube from the genny to the outside

2) Use a plug in (with AAA Batter backup) Carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin

3) Run the blower

Comment

KnoxBoater wrote:
                            I will never put a portable genny in my engine compartment, BUT, what if you take these precautions:

1) Run the exhaust via sealed tube from the genny to the outside

2) Use a plug in (with AAA Batter backup) Carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin

3) Run the blower
                            Define "sealed".

Not really practical with your typical Honda.

Also, these units rely on free air circulation for cooling. They would never get this unless you left the hatch open while the generator was running.
                            2007 Discovery 246
                            300mpi BIII
                            Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

706jim, See:

http://www.inquisition.ca/en/esd/artic/generatrice.htm

But in context of a boat engine compartment

Comment

Working...
                              X