Filler/fairing compound for fiberglass and sterndrive-gctid359979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filler/fairing compound for fiberglass and sterndrive-gctid359979

I am just about finished sanding my Cobra's and ready to fill any minor nicks and paint. I am also about to paint the dashboard area, which has the molded in texture I all be smoothing out to put a rubber mat over.

Is there a filler I can use for both purposes? Some sort of economical 2-part epoxy filler? Or do I have to buy two different kinds?

Which is a good solution for either/both?

I'd just use a regular epoxy filler/mix for the dash.. i dont know about the drives though... i've had good luck with adhesion from the west system G flex epoxy, it is designed for aluminum, not sure how it would mix for fairing though

Comment

Remember, you cannot gelcoat over epoxy, I always recommend iso resin or vinyl ester, or for fillers, 3m vinyl ester filler or equiv.

And some will pipe in on this, but Bondo works quite well for a filler, they have not used clay for a long time, On my 28/35' Tollycraft there was a thru hull I needed to fill in in a hurry, I backed it up with laminated FRP then filled with bondo, that boat 5 years later still had that brown spot on the side when I sold it, no defects!
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Bondo works well for fairing but not all bondo is created equal. Make sure it is a good quality water resistant type especially if its below the water line. Rage gold would work or there is a product made by evercoat that is made with Kevlar it sticks like a mother and is water proof.

If you are using epoxy you can add cabosil or mill fibers to thicken it to use as a fairing material.

For filling pin holes I can't remember the name but it comes in a small blue can and is great for pin holes. It is smooth and easy to sand.

If the area is larger to fair using reinforced covered structural type filler would be best. Then fairing over that with some thing smoother.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
          For filling pin holes I can't remember the name but it comes in a small blue can and is great for pin holes. It is smooth and easy to sand.
          The small blue can is evercoat glazing putty

There are a number of similar products
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Mattmm wrote:
            I'd just use a regular epoxy filler/mix for the dash.. i dont know about the drives though... i've had good luck with adhesion from the west system G flex epoxy, it is designed for aluminum, not sure how it would mix for fairing though
            Yeah, just about anything will work for the dash, I was hoping to find one that would work well for both though G Flex may be good as I'm sure I can get it from WM.

boatworkfl wrote:
            Remember, you cannot gelcoat over epoxy, I always recommend iso resin or vinyl ester, or for fillers, 3m vinyl ester filler or equiv.

And some will pipe in on this, but Bondo works quite well for a filler, they have not used clay for a long time, On my 28/35' Tollycraft there was a thru hull I needed to fill in in a hurry, I backed it up with laminated FRP then filled with bondo, that boat 5 years later still had that brown spot on the side when I sold it, no defects!
            I thought Bondo absorbs water or something? I know it's a polyester 2-part, I would probably have to reactivate the gelcoat?

I'll be painting both (2-part epoxy on the dash), so no concern about gelcoat. I thought a 2-part epoxy filler would be best for the aluminum.

yachtman wrote:
            Bondo works well for fairing but not all bondo is created equal. Make sure it is a good quality water resistant type especially if its below the water line. Rage gold would work or there is a product made by evercoat that is made with Kevlar it sticks like a mother and is water proof.

If you are using epoxy you can add cabosil or mill fibers to thicken it to use as a fairing material.

If the area is larger to fair using reinforced covered structural type filler would be best. Then fairing over that with some thing smoother.
            kwb wrote:
            The small blue can is evercoat glazing putty

There are a number of similar products
            Will take a look at these, thanks for all the suggestions.

I got one drive sanded down and there actually is NO pitting, some chunky anti-foul made it look like I had bigger problems than I did. Will still fair some light scratches/etc out but no real filling need... the paint would probably cover it.

Comment

Working...
            X