Lowrance Structure Scan, side imaging-gctid359914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowrance Structure Scan, side imaging-gctid359914

Has anyone had any experience with the Structure Scan. Is it a worthwhile feature or just something else to throw money at?

I presently have a conventional Lowrance GPS/Sonar, which I'm happy with. Just looking for redundancy. Thanks, Bob.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

The advantage to any side scan is: If there is a scool of fish 100' to the side, then it will detect it with-in the unit's range, otherwise you will need to do the circle thing to find them. If you can afford it go for it.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I just purchased the hds-7 gen 2 along with the LSS. Wont be able to use it till mid April, so cant help out with any info. But this system was highly recomended by a good freind who is a tournament fishermen.

Comment

bhawes wrote:
        Has anyone had any experience with the Structure Scan. Is it a worthwhile feature or just something else to throw money at?

I presently have a conventional Lowrance GPS/Sonar, which I'm happy with. Just looking for redundancy. Thanks, Bob.
        Hi Bob,

I've had an HDS-10 with the Structure Scan for about a year. It's value really depends upon the type of fishing you do. If you're fishing lakes for bass and walleye -- I can see it being a great addition as it really pinpoints structure -- shows fish up to about 50ft, but beyond that it seems to be pretty spotty (YMMV)

I'm out on the Pacific mainly fishing salmon. I'm not really convinced that it helps catch more fish. Certainly helps find bait, and it's really cool to see the detailed structure on the bottom (but cool doesn't catch fish) -- we found a shipwreck or some other man-made object one day off the Broken Group.

It's a bit easier to see the bottom with the structure scan than regular Sonar in some cases. To me, this unit is just OK -- some swear by it, but honestly, it's not THAT much better than a well tuned sonar IMHO.
        Terry
        1999 Bayliner 3388
        Twin Cummins 4BTA
        Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
        Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

:greedy_dollars: Everything Boating is throwing money at it!!! Especially So-Called Fishing Boats :hammer I ought to know since my wife points it out on a very regular basis :greedy_dollars:

Comment

I have an hds7 and I am planning on installing this on my 3055. Its just cool as hell to see the structures under the water

Comment

I have a humminbird side scan. It is quit useful for navigation especially in areas with large rocks. It really takes time to learn to use the side scan and determine what the images are. It's quite different than straight bottom scan. As a fishing unit I'm still learning how to use it and I have used sonar units for over 40 years.

I had nothing but trouble with Lowrance and warranties and I find their sidescan over priced for what you get. I am very happy with the Humminbird and the only warranty issue I had was handled professionally and quickly.

Comment

Working...
              X