ARGH! broken hinges-gctid359794

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARGH! broken hinges-gctid359794

I've got a new challenge on my 2651.. The outside door is being held in place by three plastic hinges, and two of them have broken off...

I've been to several local boat stores and looked in books to find the proper hinges, but no luck.

Does anybody have a clue where I can find the original (or an improved version) of these hinges? (see attachment).

Thanks in advance!

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/662764=25245-2012-03-12 11.35.58.jpg[/img]

Is there a reason why you don't just replace the plastic hingeswith stainless steel. If the holes in the door do not match the holes in the replacement hinge just fill the old holes with the appropriate material.

Comment

I could replace them with any random hinges... But i like to keep it as original as possible.

Comment

mishmash wrote:
        I've got a new challenge on my 2651.. The outside door is being held in place by three plastic hinges, and two of them have broken off...

I've been to several local boat stores and looked in books to find the proper hinges, but no luck.

Does anybody have a clue where I can find the original (or an improved version) of these hinges? (see attachment).

Thanks in advance!
        Post a sketch, showing precise dimensions of the hinge leaves and hole locations/diameter.

Aside from colour, is this it?

http://"http://greatlakesskipper.com...inge-pair.html

Comment

Quote "I want to keep it as original as possible"

WHY??

It is NOT A CLASSIC AUTOMOBILE that you can sell for more money if it is kept original, no matter how inconvenient that may be for daily use.

WHY would you be reluctant to replace an obviously substandard part with a better one?

I just don't understand the logic??

Comment

Those aren't plastic, those are marelon... a proprietary more expensive version of plastic, invented by the boating gods

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/662941=25283-890011-602B-marelon-hinge-sail-power-boat.JPG[/img]Enjoy.http://www.forespar.com/products/boa...orroding.shtml

Comment

boatommy wrote:
              Quote "I want to keep it as original as possible"

WHY??

It is NOT A CLASSIC AUTOMOBILE that you can sell for more money if it is kept original, no matter how inconvenient that may be for daily use.

WHY would you be reluctant to replace an obviously substandard part with a better one?

I just don't understand the logic??
              I agree. It's a Bayliner, not an old Stratocaster.
              2007 Discovery 246
              300mpi BIII
              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Who cares about original? Why care about original? Believe me they used the cheapest thing that would work "good enough" and obviosly it hasn't worked well enough. If you can't get something stainless that fits those holes exactly just make sure they are big enough that they completely cover the old ones and the new screw holes are far enough away from the old ones they don't touch each other. You'll never get better grip than new virgin wood. That is even more true working with that crap particle board covered by veneer like mine has. At any rate plastic hinges by any other name is spelled JUNK.

Comment

mishmash wrote:
                  I could replace them with any random hinges... But i like to keep it as original as possible.
                  certainly no disrespect intended, and I hope you're successful in your search....but you've got to see the irony in someone posting the quoted text, under the name "mishmash". I'm with you though. for some reason that often doesn't make sense, I'll try and find the OEM part when I can.

Good luck.

Comment

I found identical or almost identical ones at massys marine here in ladner BC,

i think they were made by perko.I came down from a wave pretty hard in

my 1988 2455 and busted all three hinges that held the cabin door.The perko

hinges i bought matched up exactly to the bolt pattern for my boat.

Comment

They are Sea-Dog hinges. Here is a link.

Comment

Working...
                      X