Another Newbie... Ready to purchase, but which one??-gctid359751

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Newbie... Ready to purchase, but which one??-gctid359751

Hi All... In the market for my first boat of my own in the next few weeks. Too many choices! I spent quite a bit of time at a dealer yesterday and found that I like the Bayliner brand quite a bit. When I first started thinking about getting a boat, I stumbled upon a '96 Ciera 2252 that looks to be in great shape. Hoping to see and touch it this week, rather than just internet pictures!

At the dealer I was on a few Bowriders. My questions start here!

Background: Eastern shore Maryland, docking in a river. Goals for a boat would be 4-5 adults just having fun. I love the idea of the Bowriders, they seem super easy to just hop on and go without much prep work.

What if I want to fish? (probably rare)

I can see myself cruising down the river towards the bay, is a 175/185/195 too small for the bay?

Inboard or Outboard?

Adding to the cruising towards the bay, that obviously lengthens a day, increasing the potential need for a head.

Now you get that perfect day, you just don't want to go back in, why not just go below on something like the Ciera and make it a night?

The cost of the Bowriders brand new are pretty decent, but other than the obvious benefits of buying brand new, is there any reason to avoid used?

HELP!!!!

Thanks for any insight.

Sounds like you might want to meet in the middle and consider a cuddy cabin. I had my 1989 Capri bowrider for 18 years. Used it for diving, fishing, water sports & cruising in both large lakes and the ocean. Made lots of trips to Catalina Island which is about 22 miles from Los Angeles. When it came time to move up I chose the 20' cuddy cabin, has the head, privacy and sleeeps two comfortably. It's also nice to get into when changing out of dive gear and keeps gear out of sight. I was very happy with the boat I had and love the one I have now. Think things over, don't rush, if you buy used get a survey and even if buying new a survey isn't a bad idea. It's amazing what a trained ear and a little tapping can tell. Welcome Aboard & Good Luck.

Comment

The best I can tell you is to get on as many boats as you can. After a while, the moment you get on the right boat, you'll know it.

Besides, it's really hard to know what you want in a boat until you have one. Make the best first decision you can, and be happy.

Comment

As most here will attest to, Bayliners have great layouts that maximize space.

I would suggest if there is an admiral in the picutre to take her along and get her input. While your focusing on the power plant, mechanical and electrical, She will spot details us guys don't even notice, like storage or "where is the toilet?" for those extended days on the water.

What is your experience with boats? This will give us more suggestions, but for sure take a boating safety course and again I would suggest taking the admiral.

Comment

all I'm gonna say is get as big a boat as you can feasably afford.....cuz all the money in your wallet will be poured into the hole....called a boat.........ok...another one....never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.......

:arr arr

Comment

Our 175 works for us on the Upper Chesapeake. It meets our needs, considering a number of factors - cost, suitable for storing in the garage in the winter, tow vehicle, etc. With that said, it sounds like it would be rather small for your intent, especially with five adults. Convenient storage space is minimal on a 175. Bring a modest amount of gear onboard and the people space starts to disappear. A longer boat will definitely handle the chop better. If you are thinking bowrider and can afford it, I would go larger, maybe a 195 if you can. Think it all through, including the towing and storage aspects.

You can save lot of money buying used as we did. If you do buy used, just make sure you set aside enough funds to get all the maintenance up to date and any repairs done if necessary.

Comment

Just my 2 cents here, first you need to decide the main purpose your boat will serve. Will it be mainly fishing, wake boarding, skiing etc, if so a Bayrider is the way to go. If its to go cruise around maybe do some camping trips or extended cruising...get a cruiser. My first boat was a 16' bowrider and served great for 5 years as the misses and i did alot of fishing and day cruises. She decided she wanted to go to a beach out on lake ontario, so we left, and within 30 minutes the waves went from 6" to 3'+. When we took a 3' wave over the bow she decided we needed a bigger boat, and that's when we bought our Ciera Sunbridge 2150.

"As most here will attest to, Bayliners have great layouts that maximize space."

Absolutely true...this is the biggest, roomiest, small cruiser i have seen/ been on.

If there is an Admiral in the picture, be sure to take her as her input is equally important.

Figure out what you want it for and the choice will be clear.

Comment

Working...
              X