Do lobsters have feelings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do lobsters have feelings?

I never cooked one, but I've heard they scream when you toss em in the pot. I've killed and cleaned thousands of Dungies and I can tell you they know what's coming when you grab em.
    https://www.simplemost.com/switzerla...m_content=KNXV
    Esteban
    Detroit, MI
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Nothing but giant cockroaches. If lobsters were a half inch long and running across your floor, you'd flatten them to obliteration!
    Simo
    2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain

Comment

LOL...so they "stun their brain" which is more humane? Welcome to crazy town!
      2014 Flight Package Element
      Upgrades: 90HP, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade Prop, Mercury Monitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Radio w/4 speaker + subwoofer
      Lacey, WA

Comment

All creatures have feelings, they all think.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

They don't scream. They don't have vocal chords. When you drop them in hot water, any air inside their carapace heats up. This causes it to increase in volume, forcing it to rush out any openings in the shell. This can cause a whistling noise that people with a tendency to anthropomorphize might hear as a scream.

And even if they do feel pain, you are not increasing their suffering by boiling them. The fate of nearly every living thing on this planet is to be eaten alive. If it makes you feel better you can dispatch it humanely before cooking it, but you're not causing any extra suffering by boiling it alive. All you've done is trade off one type of suffering (being torn apart alive) with another type (boiling).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Mzoc-GqDQ

The idea that you "cause" suffering is a classic misunderstanding of opportunity cost. People incorrectly compare against a nonexistent alternative (instead of being boiled, the lobster presumably lives forever, or dies in its sleep of old age). The correct comparison is against the most likely alternative, which is being torn apart and eaten alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

The "suffering" logic works when applied to people (because we've managed to kill off nearly anything that would eat us, and thus are most likely to die of old age) or even applied to domesticated animals (because we protect them from predation). But it doesn't work when applied to animals harvested from the wild. In fact, if you soak them in ice water to dull their reactions and numb their senses before boiling like most knowledgeable people do, you're probably decreasing their suffering compared to if you hadn't caught them and had left them to their fate in the wild.
          1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Guys

We need to quit fishing because it’s cruel!

If you want to eat fish you should go buy it in the store where no animal was harmed in it’s production.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

As Homer states, "if God didn't want us to eat animals, He would not have made them our of meat"
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

I can't wait to go lobster diving in Florida. I haven't eaten any of those spiny lobster, yet...
                Esteban
                Detroit, MI
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• Discovery
                  Discovery commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Had 2 X 3lb Atlantic lobsters on Friday nite and the only thing suffering was my wallet!

Pro tip. Put em in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour before you boil them. It doesn't kill but puts em in a shut down state. Also they don't release chemicals that can cause them to taste a little bitter.
                Doug
                Hanging Loose
                98 Carver 350 Mariner
                2013-
                KRUSTY KRAB
                2001 305
                5.7 BII
                2006-2013

Comment

Maybe we should kill the animals that predators eat so they do not suffer while being eaten alive.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• green650
                    green650 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aren’t we in the polar bears diet?

Lenny tells me that he loves me.
                  I'd be really hurt if he didn't have feelings.

Comment

Working...
                  X