WA Hatchery Coho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WA Hatchery Coho

As of last week, over 1500 Coho have returned to the Dungeness hatchery pond. I've spent two of the last 7 days harvesting 45 pairs. Looks like the Coho returns are improving.

Sadly, the hatchery is still only running at a fraction of what it could produce, and all indications say it the powers that be will never allow it to produce any more than it is.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

I grew up in SoCal, and watched the fishery greatly decline. Many factors went into this equation. Its sad that caring folks are often pitted against each other, example, environmentalist vs. recreation and commercial fisherman/women, in finding a sustainable solution. Often the problem breeds whole new "occupations" that suck away resources, that could be used in solving these problems......
    Thank you for all that you do!

Comment

Thanks crunchy, as Red Skelton would say of those “powers”, “I used to think of them as a pain in the neck but I’ve lowered my opinion.”
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

We (the PSA club) released a batch of yearlings that we had in a net pen outside the Edmonds Marina. I bid them well with promises of seeing them again in 3 years!
        Sad part was seeing the damn harbor seals lining up along the pier when we were just about to release.
        97 2859

Comment

Guess I should update this thread.

We can all thank the whale huggers. Thanks to their outcry, the powers that be have increased our hatchery production! Also, Canada has closed a number of areas to allow the orcas the few salmon inhabiting those areas. While we won't see the results of the added hatchery salmon for at least 3 years, please know that hatchery production is FINALLY making a come back.
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          TDI tech diver
          Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the update. The sea lions, IMO, need to no longer be protected.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
              Thanks for the update. The sea lions, IMO, need to no longer be protected.
              I agree, but unless the tribes decide to harvest them, that will be very long process, ....met with even more protests.
              TDI tech diver
              Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X