What is your go-to lure?-gctid796349

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your go-to lure?-gctid796349

I'm curious what you fish for and what your fav lures are. Whether it be cut plugs, spoons or hoochies, what catches the most and best fish that you go out for, what part of the world do you fish, and how do you set it up?

Here in the PNW, I love trolling, and have 3 salmon go-to lures: The Luhr Jensen Funky Chicken (as noted in a previous thread) on a 6' 40# mono leader gets the Kings; an Army Truck Coho Killer on a 42" 30# mono leader for Blackmouth and Chinook; and a Glow Green Splatter hoochie on an 18-20" 30# mono leader that murders humpies and silvers.

My go-to flasher for all salmon is an 11" Hot Spot Army Truck, and I use Mike's Liquid Anchovy Scent.

July 25, 2007, just north of the USCG Station, Ediz Hook, Port Angeles, WA, I used a 5" Luhr Jensen Funky Chicken to bring this King to the boat. It was wild, so I had to release it, ...but you get the idea. :woohoo:

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

For me -- if I had to take 1 lure on the boat and catch anything -- it would be the Coho Killer hands down. Color doesn't seem to matter much. I have caught everything with them -- 36lb Spring, Halibut, a monster 30lb Ling Cod you name it. My only gripe with them is that eventually the tail breaks off.

There is a local guy who makes something similar to the Coho Killer but it's 100% stainless steel. Has it in 3 different sizes -- needlefish, anchovie and herring. They'd be my #2 choice: http://www.aptackleworks.com/shop/

#3 choice is a modified hoochie setup by another local guy who calls his rig a Jughead. He has a special plastic head on the hoochie that makes the lure dance rather than drag behind the flasher. The UV Glow White works extremely well particularly if you pre-charge it with a flashlight before putting it down. Glows like crazy: http://www.jugheadshaker.com/ultra-v...ite-hoochie-1/
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Hands down - cut plug herring.

I like the 5 or 6 inch frozen ones cut for a tight roll on a slow troll no matter what species of salmon I am going after. When thawing put the package in a bucket of salt water and they last for days. Four years of guiding and after trying what seemed like every lure there was (okay that may be an exaggeration but you get the idea) plugs had by far the highest success rate so they became the only thing I would use then and still are #1 today.
      2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
      Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

Since my fishing in Puget Sound is mostly a with a fly rod my go to is a pink and white shrimp flay tied with craft fur about 2 inches long and sparse. For bucktailing a yellow and white coho fly tied with either bucktail or better yak hair 4-6 inches long. Course for Tuna on fly rod a 6 to 8 inch fly tied with lots of black, blue and white flashabo when I get the rare time to chase the Albacore out of Oregon. Grew up fishing hoochies and the same type of Coho flies but that was on Petze wood reals and wire line down deep with 2-3 pounds of lead.

Comment

"Soundbound" post=796455 wrote:
          Since my fishing in Puget Sound is mostly a with a fly rod my go to is a pink and white shrimp flay tied with craft fur about 2 inches long and sparse. For bucktailing a yellow and white coho fly tied with either bucktail or better yak hair 4-6 inches long. Course for Tuna on fly rod a 6 to 8 inch fly tied with lots of black, blue and white flashabo when I get the rare time to chase the Albacore out of Oregon. Grew up fishing hoochies and the same type of Coho flies but that was on Petze wood reals and wire line down deep with 2-3 pounds of lead.
          I grew up fly fishing in Alberta, so I understand the passion for standing up to my nethers in cold water with a fly rod in my hand. It too made my own flies, and while I had a modicum of success, 15lb was my biggest trout, topped by a 32lb Northern pike.

But a tuna? Wow! I catch tuna dragging a 20' - ┬╝" polypro line attached to the boat, with 10' of 200lb test mono attached to anything with feathers and a hook. Even then, it's a fete to get one onboard. I cannot imaging fighting one with a fly rod. Incredible! Good on ya!
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          TDI tech diver
          Kevin

Comment

Out of laziness my go-to is often green or purple variations of the coho killer or needlefish hoochies for blackmouth, and green variations of uv/glow hoochies and coyotes for summer chinook. But always higher success using anchovy in a helmet! I'm sure cutplug would work just as well but it's harder to get the spin and the bait breaks down more easily, especially after a couple of nibbles.
            1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

.44 magnum for lingcod.

Esteban
              Detroit, MI
              Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Gotta be the Mepps French spinner. Probably a #2 Aglia, dressed. Crappie, Musky, Walleye, Trout, Salmon, Northern Pike, Small mouth bass, Large mouth bass, Catfish, Bull Head, Perch, White bass, and probably other species that I'm forgetting. These are actual catches and not just dinks. 8# walleye, 20# musky, 19# northern. It's always a go to when the bite is slow.
                1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
                1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
                1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
                2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
                Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
                South Bay Marina

Comment

"Eyeman" post=797236 wrote:
                  Gotta be the Mepps French spinner. Probably a #2 Aglia, dressed. Crappie, Musky, Walleye, Trout, Salmon, Northern Pike, Small mouth bass, Large mouth bass, Catfish, Bull Head, Perch, White bass, and probably other species that I'm forgetting. These are actual catches and not just dinks. 8# walleye, 20# musky, 19# northern. It's always a go to when the bite is slow.
                  Excellent, ...but where are you?
                  TDI tech diver
                  Kevin

Comment

These are some of my lures and the bi-product's they produced

Brad & Sharon
                    Lady Jake
                    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

The Midwest. A Madison, WI resident for 40 years. We're now in Green Bay. I've fished numerous fresh water systems, including lots of inland lakes, lake MI, Lake Superior, Lake Heron, Lake Erie and many lakes in NW Ontario.
                      1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
                      1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
                      1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
                      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
                      Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
                      South Bay Marina

Comment

Working...
                      X