No announcement yet.

Fish finders, Which one would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been looking at the Garmin 7612XSV, spendy but for my use in Alaska it will pay for it's self.

I can use one of my currant transducers, and buy a chirp transducer.

A 10" would work but a 12" I can see from the back deck, and my cell phone will connect to it.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Yea I think I'll pull the trigger during the Black Friday sales. I'm leaning towards the dragonfly pro 7 at this point, trying to keep the cost down a bit.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Once you decide what brand you are going to buy and if you plan to go with a flush thru hull transducer make sure it will read temperature for you.

I added two Humminbird Helix 5 locators for my 3218. I already had two existing thru hull transducers in the boat and replaced with two of the same.

The new transducers do not read temperature.

They may make a flush thru hull that will read temperature but I didn't find one and didn't really look that hard for one either.

I do know the block type transducer that protrudes beyond the bottom will work.

I found this out before ordering, I don't use this boat for fishing so the temperature readout was no big deal.

( I wait for someone to jump in the river for temp readout...holy @&$* is it cold ) :S
        Dan
        Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
        Claudia V. III
        1988 - 3218
        Gas Drives

Comment

Hello All ,

Please let us know if you get the Dragon Fly as I am looking at adding that to 2750 sunbridge , I dont really intend on setting her up as a fisher but want to have the option at least. It looks like a real good unit but I have always had Hummingbird's

Thank You
          1986 Bayliner 2750 Ciera Sunbridge
          350 I/O Volvo Penta and Dual Prop Outdrive
          1987 Baliner 195 Cuddy
          181cc 4Cyl Alpha One Motor and drive for sale
          1968 Starcraft Holiday V
          120 Evinrude OB motor for sale

Comment

"JCDSparky69" post=792550 wrote:
            Hello All ,

Please let us know if you get the Dragon Fly as I am looking at adding that to 2750 sunbridge , I dont really intend on setting her up as a fisher but want to have the option at least. It looks like a real good unit but I have always had Hummingbird's

Thank You
            Yes, purchased the Dragonfly 7 pro wifi with Navionics for US & Canada. Couldn't pass up the Black Friday price from the gps store. Haven't had a chance to install it yet but I'll have it installed before my next launch and let ya know what I think.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            Misc. projects thread

Comment

I've always used Garmin and have never been disappointed. I just purchased a new boat and spent considerable time checking out all the different models and brands. Garmin ended up being the choice once again for me. I'm not sure if you're fishing salt or fresh water, but for years Garmin has been the choice for salt. Fresh water anglers are starting to figure out they work just as well for them as well. A lot of my fishing is trolling for salmon, steelhead, trout and Muskie and even my old Garmin worked wonderfully and had ease of use. I actually went with the side and down view this time around and seems great so far. Check out The 7000 or 9000 series gps map products. I like the 17,000 inland lakes that are preinstalled. The technology has improved a ton with all brands so you can't go wrong with any choice in my opinion...just a matter of options and preference. Good luck

Comment

For Garmin Fish Finders try the Striker Series. When I fish small lakes I used the Striker 4. Works great has Chirp and GPS too. Mount it on an ammo box so its portable too.,

Comment

I'm looking at this one - http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=11201

Great price, as it uses your phone / tablet as the screen..... One downfall, thru-hull transducer is 500 + bucks! But does come with the CHIRP transom-mount transducer with temperature sensor.
                  BOAT: 1991 - Bayliner 2556 Ciera Flybridge
                  ENGINE: 357 Alpha 4V (275HP)
                  OUTDRIVE: Alpha Gen 1
                  RATIO: (to be updated)
                  PROP: 15 1/2" X 15P
                  NAME: "Knotty Oar"

Marine Search and Rescue Crew - http://rcmsar.com/rescue-stations/southern-region/north-vancouver/

Comment

The dragonfly I purchased is basically the wifish with a screen. I like it but even at 7" I find the screen to small. I've grown accustom to using the user friendly iPad (via Navionics) as my plotter and just using the dragonfly to confirm depth in the areas I'm not familiar with. BTW I've got the "transom mount" ducer setting on the bottom of the hull in the engine bay. Seems to work fine only at low speeds. More testing to come.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    Misc. projects thread

Comment

A bit spendy but I have been using 90's tec for too many years.

I bought a Garmin 7612XSV 12" chart plotter, was going to but a 10" but a new 7612xsv showed up on ebay and I did a buy it new for $1000.00 less than full price.

This Garmin uses any of the Garmin transducers, It can connect 2 at a time, but I bought 3 transducers and can switch connectors to suit the area I fish in.

The unit can also connect to a radar dome and has a chart plotter and more.

Now I need to learn how to use it, and remove the clutter at the helm.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have Furuno GP-1870F. So far I like it. It is fairly easy to learn on. Install was simple as is replaced an early 90s unit. There was already an adapter cable present, 8 pin to 10 pin. Got to use the existing transducer. Does not get muchome easier. The pre-installed map lacked the detail of the C-map 4D area map. I bought the Cape Flattery to Cape Blanco map cardf

Greg
                        Newport, Oregon
                        South Beach Marina
                        1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                        Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                        Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

I see this is last years post but to continue the discussion I'm looking at a Simrad GO12 XSE Combo Package w/3G Radar TotalScan Transducer for my 19 foot fishing/tender.
                          I've owned a few brands but never Simrad. Anyone have experience with these?

Comment

I would like one more in the back for fishing, now have a Lowrance HDS 10 Gen 1 but cant see it from the back. The Forward scanning is tweaking my interest, what is out there?
                            Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                            96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                              I would like one more in the back for fishing, now have a Lowrance HDS 10 Gen 1 but cant see it from the back. The Forward scanning is tweaking my interest, what is out there?
                              cant speak to the forward scan stuff but I have moved my dragonfly to the cockpit area for that very reason. I'd consider mine to be a fairly good "starter" unit, if I did it again I'd go larger display for sure 9-10" at least.
                              Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX"
                              Misc. projects thread

Comment

I just bought the Simrad GO7 XSE Pacrimrat, and really like it. Comes with the structure scan transducer (transom mount), supports NMEA 2000 and works as a wi-fi hub so you can use your ipad as a second screen.
                                Glen Sherwood
                                1987 3270 twin 305’s
                                Coupeville, WA

Comment

Working...
                                X