Fish finders, Which one would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"FISHIN00" post=772350 wrote:
    I'm partial to Lowrance products, over the years I have really good luck with them. My Bayliner had a Garmin 300C, I could stand in the back of the boat and read it in bright sunlight. Right now I have a ELITE 4 Combo unit Sonar/GPS/DI...Get the BIGGEST screen you can afford...I'm already looking at a unit with a 5" or a 7" screen. Here's a few pics of my 4" I used on Center Hill Lake TN last week. The BOC member I fished with has a Garmin on his pontoon boat, that I could read from 10' away clearly.

I would encourage you to turn off the fish symbol function, it is unreliable usually misleading. It is not difficult to lean to 'read' the echo images given of by most fish in your region and you will soon get the hang of it if you try.

Most real anglers will give you the same advice .

Comment

I just put a Dragonfly 7 on my 2850 Contessa and I can recommend it, but here are several important things to consider.

- The biggest benefits to the Dragonfly is the relatively low price point for the high resolution, etc.

- The Dragonfly series can NOT be networked with other devices (the biggest "miss" is you can't interface a fuel flow meter with the Dragonfly GPS)

- The Dragonfly series can NOT have an external antenna. Mine is working fine (able to find satellites, etc.). But depending on the exact location you mount it on your dash and if you're in a big boat with a hard top, acquiring satellites might be a problem.

- If you have dual helms, you can't have two displays. And be sure you know if you are getting the Wifi or non Wifi Dragonfly unit because the Wifi allows you to see DEPTH on a wifi device like an iPhone - but Wifi will NOT allow you to see the GPS charts and contours on a Wifi device. (but if you don't need Wifi that model is cheaper).

- Although the "downvision" has a cool factor, I've found I don't really use it.

- I LOVE what Navionics is doing and have found the chart downloads, updates, and "sonoarvision" EXTREMELY helpful.

I mistakenly bought a non-Wifi Dragonfly 7 and installed it, so I have just purchased a Wifi Dragonfly 7, which means I'll be getting ready to sell my non-wifi Dragonfly 7. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Tim

Comment

"Obi" post=772572 wrote:
        "FISHIN00" post=772350 wrote:
        I'm partial to Lowrance products, over the years I have really good luck with them. My Bayliner had a Garmin 300C, I could stand in the back of the boat and read it in bright sunlight. Right now I have a ELITE 4 Combo unit Sonar/GPS/DI...Get the BIGGEST screen you can afford...I'm already looking at a unit with a 5" or a 7" screen. Here's a few pics of my 4" I used on Center Hill Lake TN last week. The BOC member I fished with has a Garmin on his pontoon boat, that I could read from 10' away clearly.

I would encourage you to turn off the fish symbol function, it is unreliable usually misleading. It is not difficult to lean to 'read' the echo images given of by most fish in your region and you will soon get the hang of it if you try.

Most real anglers will give you the same advice .
        OH REALLY!!!!! This REAL ANGLER has been using these fish symbols for years.....the archs and clouds can be also misleading I like that....REAL ANGLERS>>>>> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I make a point of fishing every public holiday we get 11per year so I am coming up 2 years commercial fishing and I use the symbols. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Comment

Any advice given is voluntary and you are definitely not obligated to follow suite. If you do some research by checking on many internet fishing forums you will see why it is recommended to turn off the fish symbols on your device and instead learn to read the sonar arches by yourself, it will take a little practice but this is not difficult at all and will offer you numerous more advantages .

Have you ever noticed that fishsymbols are never used on devices by the fishermen you see on fishing TV programs/documentaries?There is a reason for this but if fish symbols are the best option that work for you , go ahead .

This topic has been discussed numerous times on thousands of angling sites and here are a few for you to read and make up your own mind.

http://www.nevadastriperclub.org/for...opic.php?t=363

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virgi...ymbols-arches/

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showth...=122269&page=2

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fis...?topic=55923.0

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...fish-id-or-arc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishfinder

Enough said , happy fishing

Comment

I have a Hondex 881 in our 3870. We also run a hondex plotter. It's the black box type with just monitor and remote on dash. We fish for a living with another boat and this sounder is very good. I put it in for back up during fishing season. Sounder is approx $1000 Cdn. And plotter set up $2500. Other plotter in picture is older Raytheon that works fine. Going to add the radar option when I find the scanner I want. Also have a back up camera for rear deck which works nice. Good for docking when only. 2 aboard me small children abaord too. Can't remember name Yada I think it was only $70 on sale. Just a toggle switch to turn it on.

Attached files

Comment

If possible go to a store that has many on display. Cabela's,BassPro, West Marine and the like...Then check out what each has for features for the money, Then stand back and check for screen defination. Get the biggest screen you can afford....unless you want to network I would forget about touch screen. Here is a picture of the Garmin 300C I had on my Bayliner I darn near purchased another Garmin with GPS/DI/Sonar..Lowrance beat it out on price and rebates...Right now I'm looking at getting a new unit with a 5-7" screen, for these tired old eyes.

Almost all the units have the same defination..some are just clearer than others.

Do not forget to read customer reviews on the WEB..

Comment

Sorry I can't contribute to the "Which one is best..." discussion, but I wanted to say I am pleasantly surprised at the positive reports that Lowrance products have received here. I have been bashing them for a few years now based on my own bad experience, but if they have improved their products and customer service, I may change my opinions.

Just to give credit where credit is due

Ron
                  Midnight Star
                  1996 3587
                  Twin diesels, Hino 250's
                  Ladysmith, BC
                  History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

I'm with Zarn on this, Garmin all the way! :cheer:

I've had Lowrance, Raymarine, Hummingbirds, and I even tried a Magellan GPS once for a week. Never again. I'll never stray away from Garmin.

Radar, however, I really like Furuno, but you want to know about fish finders.

I have a 741xs chart plotter with radar, and both traditional and SIdeVu/DownVu sonar. With their new QuickDraw scanning software included with the latest upgrade, I have completely redrawn the contour lines into 1' increments in all the primary areas I fish for crab and halibut. I can even zoom in to see bottom structure in amazing detail.

The only thing I would do differently (and I may still do this, ....the day I win the Superball lottery) is to buy a Panoptix transducer. I can only imagine targeting fish in 3D.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod149188.html

I would also buy a chart plotter combo with a bigger screen. I usually have the 741 screen split into nav chart, radar and sonar, along with a side readout of SOG, location, voltage, depth, etc. This can make for some eye-squinting moments.

I also have an older Garmin 192C mounted on the helm that I use to look for fish when I'm in fog and at night. That way I can use a larger radar screen with the nav chart overlay.

Best yet, is their service. If I ever have issues with any of my Garmin products, I call Tammy in their technical department. She is a rockstar with these electronics.
                    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                    MMSI: 367637220
                    HAM: KE7TTR
                    TDI tech diver
                    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                    Kevin

Comment

Thanks for your input fellas. I've been trying to educate myself via the Internet. I guess what I'm ideally looking for is a quality fish finder (mounted at the lower helm) that has the ability to network its depth, speed, temp etc. to an alternate display (mounted at the upper helm and or cockpit) such as a ray marine i40 multi display. It looks like the hummingbird 9 is nmea 2000 compatible but I'm not sure about the dragonfly and the i40 uses sea talk and will need an adapter to nmea 2000. Anybody have thoughts on this?
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                      Misc. projects thread
                      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Dragonfly series does nothave NMEA output, basically I think it was to keep the price down but does have WIFI so the image be displayed on an iPad or android tablet.

If you want easily network many screens , the Raymarine MFD series will be a good option, they have both NMEA compatibility and WIFI for wireless sharing. On the fish finder, They have structure scan(3D pictures) , classical sonar , temp, gps speed , depth not to mention that you can even do your own live barometric updating of bottom topography as you sail.

Comment

Keep reading on the Lowrance . . . my units (two) are the HDS-7, gen 1 so they're older but they can Ethernet, can also connect via NEMA2000 and have numerous screens to enable the reporting of engine data, fuel flow, etc. Like I said earlier . . take a long, hard look at them . . . . I don't think you can go wrong. :whistle:
                          1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
                          Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                          WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                          James H. Stradling

Comment

"Dadrock33" post=774956 wrote:
                            Keep reading on the Lowrance . . . my units (two) are the HDS-7, gen 1 so they're older but they can Ethernet, can also connect via NEMA2000 and have numerous screens to enable the reporting of engine data, fuel flow, etc. Like I said earlier . . take a long, hard look at them . . . . I don't think you can go wrong. :whistle:
                            Thanks, the elite 7TI looks like a great package and a touch screen as well, totally liking that option. Looking harder now
                            Dave
                            Edmonds, WA
                            "THE FIX"
                            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                            Misc. projects thread
                            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

On another site I frequent( Walleye Central) a lot of members have the Hummingbird and Lowrance touch screen units networked into every function of the boat, as many as 3 units functioning at once.

Comment

Just got my LATEST BassPro Shops Black Friday Sale Flyer....Lowrance Hook 9 $499.99, Hook 7 with free Sun Cover and Nautic Insight chip $399.99, Hook 4 with Sun Cover Nautic Insight chip $199.99

Hummingbird Helix 7 SI with Navionics Plus Map Card. $549.99... Hard to beat those prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X