(34)Fish finders(34) Which one would you buy?-gctid771997

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(34)Fish finders(34) Which one would you buy?-gctid771997

I'm looking to ask Santa Claus for a fish finder. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple. What do you fellas that have them think? Should I be looking at other brands? Not sure I need side or bottom imaging, what are your thoughts?

https://www.globalsupplystore.com/hu...25-BoCbs3w_wcB

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/raymar...RighoCCxnw_wcB
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Anything but a hummingbird hate mine ,never worked right from the get go ,hunts for the bottom all the time don't know if it's right or not ,searching myself
    1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
    located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Nice unit the Garmin i use has the same ability to create your own charts which is real handy if you fish in shallow waters I've got a passage though a reef I've self mapped no more than 20feet wide average 8 feet deep but a hole in the middle 25feet deep god I've pulled some nice fish out of there the standard map shows the hole but not much else can get in there in confidence now watched others try when they see me in there gett half way before they give up.

Comment

I'm happy with Humminbird. I have 3 of them on my boat. I don't fish so I don't use the fish finder. I mainly use the map to chart my course.

I like the Raymarine with the wifi. Make sure it comes with the navionics chip.

1989 3288
        "Defiant"
        5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Comment

I have the Garmin 541, works fine for me.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "Sea Ya"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

"desuch" post=772008 wrote:
            Anything but a hummingbird hate mine ,never worked right from the get go ,hunts for the bottom all the time don't know if it's right or not ,searching myself
            Had the same problem till i updated it with the latest software. Been working perfect every sense.

I have the Humminbird Helix 7 DI/GPS.

I got the DI model because im always trolling so seeing beneath me is what i am most concerned with. SI is more geared to bass fishermen i believe for looking at the shore line.

Took about a week of playing with to get it set the way i wanted and learn what everything does but it was worth it as im amazed at what you can see 3 or 4 hundred feet deep!
            Pat. Sandpoint Ida
            1984 Bayliner Ciera 24.5 Volvo Penta 5.7/290DP

Comment

Depends on where you boat, you can get different power/frequency spec for transducer even for the same model.

I always had fishfinder/GPS combo, even if you already have GPS it's good to have redundancy and extra NMEA output for your VHF/Computer or other devices. On my current boat I have Lowrance Elite HDI with the max power and depth spec for transducer, do not remember the exact numbers.

I am also looking for another one, do not feel comfortable with only one depthfinder on board. The features I am trying to get are: good depth/power at low frequency, large (7"min) GPS plotter with Norhtern BC coverage, and I need it to have NMEA 2000 to display engine data in real time.
              Alex
              1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
              1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

I recently purchased the Simrad GO7 XSE and love it so far. Crisp picture easy to read and plenty of features.

Comment

I have a Garmin 441s that has never worked right, looses track of the depth at cruising speed. I think it may be the transducer. I have a shoot through in the bilge, tried relocating it no difference. updated no difference. The transducer was recommended by the salesman at West Marine. I'm going to try a transom mount next . I hate to drill a hole in the bottom of a good boat for a thru hull and there is an old one there already that was on the boat when I got it. Otherwise it works fine

Make sure any cables go through the hull above the water line. More than one has been installed on the hard to later realize it went through the hull below the water line.

Comment

Has anyone looked at the Garmin 1040 XS, a 10" screen and combined sounder and chart plotter, available with side scan transducer?
                    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"builderdude" post=771997 wrote:
                      I'm looking to ask Santa Claus for a fish finder. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple. What do you fellas that have them think? Should I be looking at other brands? Not sure I need side or bottom imaging, what are your thoughts?

https://www.globalsupplystore.com/hu...25-BoCbs3w_wcB

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/raymar...RighoCCxnw_wcB
                      Of the 2 you have linked, I will vote for the Dragonfly. Throw in a Navionics chart and you will not regret it.

Comment

I'm partial to Lowrance products, over the years I have really good luck with them. My Bayliner had a Garmin 300C, I could stand in the back of the boat and read it in bright sunlight. Right now I have a ELITE 4 Combo unit Sonar/GPS/DI...Get the BIGGEST screen you can afford...I'm already looking at a unit with a 5" or a 7" screen. Here's a few pics of my 4" I used on Center Hill Lake TN last week. The BOC member I fished with has a Garmin on his pontoon boat, that I could read from 10' away clearly.

Comment

Don't forget one of your considerations as will fit on your dashboard without blacking out everything else or just plain no room. The bottom feature is probably the most important one not the fish. If you look up what the pros say about him he really use that machine more for finding structures in the bottom texture than you do for actually looking at fish .

Combine that with the moving map even one like I use on a smart phone for free with an app and you can do about anything for almost no money when you use them together

Comment

Lowrance . . . . I use the older HDS-7, gen 1 but it works just fine for what I do . . . the newer ones (Hook and Elites, etc.) offer one heck of a lot more stuff and better sensors than I have . . . hear their side and forward scan will help alleviate "groundings" too . . . always nice to get newer stuff so you can improve your life . . . :woohoo:

The GPS store has some pretty good prices too . . BTW . . . :whistle:
                            1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
                            Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                            WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                            James H. Stradling

Comment

"Dadrock33" post=772506 wrote:

The GPS store has some pretty good prices too . . BTW . . . :whistle:
                              +1 on The GPS Store. I've done a lot of business with them.
                              Midnight Star
                              1996 3587
                              Twin diesels, Hino 250's
                              Ladysmith, BC
                              History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

Working...
                              X