Prawning?-gctid391219

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prawning?-gctid391219

We are heading up to Desolation Sound and farther north in about 2 weeks. We have never prawned before. I need advice on what to do. I have a prawn trap and 400 feet of leaded line. Now what :-)

when we went up there in the past we just looked for the prawn fisherman,,,they sell them cheap and you don't lose any pots..

Comment

avanti42 wrote:
      when we went up there in the past we just looked for the prawn fisherman,,,they sell them cheap and you don't lose any pots..
      How much did you pay for a Prawn Fisherman????

Comment

Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
        How much did you pay for a Prawn Fisherman????
        time to time in going to Stevenson marina in richmond bc.im buing prawns straight from the boat about $2.50 /lb

Comment

I would try to find a nice calm area of water in the 175-325ft range with minimal current exposure; long calm deep inlets where fresh water trickles in is ideal. I would use herring oil prawn scent and prawn pellets. Some of my friends use this bait together and an extra bait can full of salmon roe(mashed up) from fish they've cleaned with really good success. Make sure your trap will not move with the current and weight your line so that the float on surface is not sending any type of vibration or movement if at all posiible down to the trap. I have always had reasonable success using herring oil mixed into the pellets.

I once paid for a Prawn Fisher but she,...........

Comment

andrew 1 wrote:
            time to time in going to Stevenson marina in richmond bc.im buing prawns straight from the boat about $2.50 /lb
            You mean Steveston.
            Mike P
            The Bahamas
            Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Aqua Therapy wrote:
              We are heading up to Desolation Sound and farther north in about 2 weeks. We have never prawned before. I need advice on what to do. I have a prawn trap and 400 feet of leaded line. Now what :-)
              Just outside Cortes Bay on Cortes Island, we were prawning in 250 feet (near all the other trap floats LOL) and were pulling in 300-400 pieces a day. No lie.

We used Fancy Feast cat food for bait, just punched a bunch of holes in the lid and threw it in the bait basket.
              Mike P
              The Bahamas

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
                You mean Steveston.
                Yes

Comment

watch out for currents and dropoffs.make sure your floats will support weight of gear & prawns just in case your set up moves into deeper water.Use electric prawn puller its easier & more fun.If you get stuck tie line to cleat on boat & gently use boat to pull free.Good luck!

Comment

Best bait I ever used is canned mackerel blended with pellets. Easy to keep until ready to use. Limits are 200 shrimp per day with a 400 limit on the boat... So, catch, pay for freezer on shore (~$1-2 per day) and keep on shrimping...
                    Doug ;}
                    MMSI: 338068776
                    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I live in the area and I have used many different kinds of bait. The easiest is Carlyle Tuna. It is sold by the case in all the fishing stores here because it is so productive. It is made from a very smelly part of the tuna that is too strong for human consumption and gives off a scent that the prawns love. Prawning can be difficult around here if you don`t know the productive spots. If you PM me on where you are going I can give you some advice.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the tips folks. We can't wait to try our hand at this. If we stink at it there is always the Prawn fishermen approach.

Be up into Desolation Sound/Johnstone area in about 4 weeks. Leaving this Monday from Portland.

Comment

We gave it a shot once this year but the tides weren't that great, no shrimp. Weight pots to at least 20#'s and make sure you have enough floatation to float the pot plus rope weight with some to spare(say you get a bunch of kelp wrapped up in it). Every year we see people hunting for their gear that thought they didn't need weight and only used a couple of those bullet bouys.

With the short seasons WA gets I honestly wouldn't spend the money on the gear again. There are too many people shrimping, and you have to camp on your gear so it doesn't get stolen or pulled under by the current. The $400 I have in two pots would buy alot of shrimp.

The puller I built will be nice for crab season with my bad back though...

Comment

When you get up there, when asking locals for advice, don't call 'em shrimp. You will get laughed at! Shrimp are those tiny little guys that come in a can. These are Spot Prawns, baby, and they are awesome
                            Mike P
                            The Bahamas

Comment

Tin of Carlyle Tuna catfood mixed with pellets works awesome.. Google "Where to Prawn in Desolation Sound" you will get lots to read on the area as well as prawning there....Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X