Anyone try out the Raymarine Wi-Fish DownVision?-gctid708506

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try out the Raymarine Wi-Fish DownVision?-gctid708506

Having trouble finding comprehensive reviews on this unit. Does anyone use it? If so can you give me the low down?

I'd like to know the same thing as I am contemplating buying an A98. From their website, it looks pretty good, but as we all know, looks can be deceiving.
    1996 2858 7.4L B2
    Soon to be
    502 Mag MPI 415 HP
    Volvo Penta 280 power trim 280 DP
    SP-C upper DP-D 1.78 lower
    Kohler 4CZ
    Panama City, Fl

Comment

Well I got one anyway and installing today. Will try in out in the Pacific weather permitting on Tuesday and report back.

Comment

So far so good. The picture on the iPad is clear. I could pick out individual fish in a huge ball of mackerel and the dolphins/birds going after them.

Comment

I like the 98. Got the radar with mine everything intergrates nicely. Zoom in and you see actual satellite imagery. Nav features are pretty good. Bathymetry is good, enhanced bathymetry is a bit to busy in the waters up here but we go from 12 feet deep to 750 feet in about 15 yards so to many numbers and contours show on the screen and it gets to busy to read. The sonar is pretty good. I can see the bait balls, fish, and tell the difference between seals and sharks, actually I can usually tell the difference between the types of salmon. The downvision is great in shallow water but loses its clarity quickly. Saw the needles on a submerged evergreen in about 15 feet of water and I can see rocks clearly and the occasional halibut down in the 40 to 50 foot range, after that I don't find it to useful, it kind of just relects what the sonar is showing in deep water. Radar is great, ended up using it quite a bit in dense fog. Certainly not the best system out there, but in my opinion it is probably one of the best bangs for the buck. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Navigating the screens is easy, but takes a bit of getting use to if you are use to running Garman

Hope that helps.
          1990 2955
          2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

Comment

I take it all back. What I thought was fish was debris with the CPT-DV transducer all you get is structure, pretty useless for fishing (especially ocean), as the beam is very narrow. I am asking Raymarine if they can get the CPT-DVS work with this, if not I will be returning it and it will be the last Raymarine product I buy. The manual and the website is a mess as it is not very clear that CPT-DVS transducer will not work with WiFish. Hopefully it's just a software update they have to do to make it work...

Comment

In conclusion Wi-Fish is useless for fishing.

Comment

Working...
              X