What are these used for?-gctid674770

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these used for?-gctid674770

Going through my Dad's old fishing gear and ran across these. What are they? :huh:

Lee
    2007 Meridian 490
    2007 Meridian 368
    1996 2855 Cierra
    1978 Caribbean 26'
    Oceanside, CA

In the old days(PRE GPS) they were used to mark structure, depth and schooling fish locations. I used them for walleye and smallmouth fishing, with my old Lowrance GREEN BOX depth finder/ fish locator. When you found structure or came across a school of fish you would throw one out to mark the location. Fisherman still use them to this day.

Comment

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/lHkwT4lkKGU
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

"FISHIN00" post=674791 wrote:
        In the old days(PRE GPS) they were used to mark structure, depth and schooling fish locations. I used them for walleye and smallmouth fishing, with my old Lowrance GREEN BOX depth finder/ fish locator. When you found structure or came across a school of fish you would throw one out to mark the location. Fisherman still use them to this day.
        Thanks Dave. No wonder my deep sea fishing buddies didn't know. My Dad fished the Colorado mostly. Now what do I do with them??? :S
        Lee
        2007 Meridian 490
        2007 Meridian 368
        1996 2855 Cierra
        1978 Caribbean 26'
        Oceanside, CA

Comment

Sell them on Craigslist or Kijiji - old-school anglers still like them for back-trolling along structure lines, or as casting marks. They remain useful for anyone who doesn't have the latest electronics and positioning motor.

Comment

"whiskywizard" post=674835 wrote:
            Sell them on Craigslist or Kijiji - old-school anglers still like them for back-trolling along structure lines, or as casting marks. They remain useful for anyone who doesn't have the latest electronics and positioning motor.
            +1 There may some Club member close by who would gladly buy them and pay for shipping.

Cabelas still sells them $12.99 a piece.

Comment

Working...
            X