Time for more smoked salmon...-gctid666330

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for more smoked salmon...-gctid666330

I'm doing it again... 14 pounds fresh salmon... filleted, pin bones removed and scored to the skin every inch... Sockeye and some Keta... New recipe that I completely made up that uses brown sugar, garlic, onion, some special spices including black pepper and paprika and a good dosage of dark Agave nectar... will brine for 12 hours vice normal 6 and then air dry another 6 using a gentle fan then on to the smoker for 6 hours using alder for the first hour and a combination of pear, apple and cherry wood (from our home trees)...

to be continued...
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

That sounds amazing. We have one that is referred to as Salmon Candy.

Ill stay tuned...

Comment

I got interested in Salmon candy when we were fishing out of Port Hardy two years ago... amazing stuff... Nor sure if I will get that sweet but I intend to not wash off the brine like suggested by many recipes.... I like the sweetness and its not too sweet due to the recipe is 1/4 canning salt... But I never added Agave before so who knows...
      Doug ;}
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Yum. The recipe sounds good, and I'm sure that they will taste as good. 6 hours - that would be cold smoke? Yum

Comment

B) what time dinner my postal address is :evil: !looking good

Comment

You use a vaccum bag ?
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Where did you catch the chum?

Comment

"Go Aweigh2452" post=666330 wrote:
                I'm doing it again... 14 pounds fresh salmon... filleted, pin bones removed and scored to the skin every inch... Sockeye and some Keta... New recipe that I completely made up that uses brown sugar, garlic, onion, some special spices including black pepper and paprika and a good dosage of dark Agave nectar... will brine for 12 hours vice normal 6 and then air dry another 6 using a gentle fan then on to the smoker for 6 hours using alder for the first hour and a combination of pear, apple and cherry wood (from our home trees)...

[attachment]17013 wrote:
                IMG_3763-1000.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]17014 wrote:
                IMG_3764-1000.jpg[/attachment]

to be continued...
                What temp are you smoking 'em?
                Charles
                '89 3870 M/Y
                Located on Galveston Bay
                Prior boat '85 300SB Sea Ray
                Lost in Hurricane IKE

Comment

I take it you caught the sockeye in Washington. Sockeye is closed up here
                  Boatless
                  (Sold) All In
                  2002 Bayliner 37
                  330 Cummins
                  AB

Comment

"PortHoleDiver" post=675075 wrote:
                    "Go Aweigh2452" post=666330 wrote:

[attachment]17013 wrote:
                    IMG_3763-1000.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]17014 wrote:
                    IMG_3764-1000.jpg[/attachment]

to be continued...
                    What temp are you smoking 'em?
                    140*... enough to get the smoke going... then drop down to 130* if possible... if not, then take them off in 4 hours vice 6...
                    Doug ;}

sigpic

Comment

Try adding a bit of molasses and Kikkoman soy sauce with that! It makes the Candy even better! I use the same wood only instead of pear I use Peach with the Cherry and Apple. Yum! I still have about 40 lbs more to smoke in the freezer! We keep a couple of jars on the boat..

Comment

Working...
                      X