Epic Sturgeon Battle-gctid663658

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Sturgeon Battle-gctid663658

I spent the day today on the Fraser River with 3 friends on a guided sturgeon fishing trip. We hooked 5, got 3 to the shore for photos, and had the agony of loosing 2 pre photo, both on rods handled by me!

The first one broke off. We were heading to shore and it starting rolling in shallow water.... bye, bye main line. It was guestimated at about 150 lbs.The second one surfaced about 30 seconds after being hooked and the guide estimated it to be between 8 and 9 feet, and around 400 lbs. Yikes, are they strong! After about 20 minutes and 2 miles downstream from where it was hooked, it felt like I'd lost it, but 5 seconds later I was back on. Turned out that the hook had come disengaged from it mouth, travelled down it's body, and re-hooked just in front of it's tail. We, of course didn't know this at this time, but trying to restrain it now was like stopping a freight train! Another mile downstream, and we were finally able to see the situation and realized that we had to get it close and release it. There would be no close up beach shot! We did manage to get it close to the boat a couple of times, but not close enough to release it. We were about to cut it loose when it thankfully came lose on it's own. We've have loved a photo, but even if we had got it to shore, it was still far to strong to get a photo. If you've never fished for these beasts, and felt power like you've likely never experienced before, I'd highly recommend it.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Great fish story! You say you have some pictures?

Comment

I do. I've never attempted to attach one before, but if you could give me a quick tutorial, I will post them.
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Just click on the Add File button below. Browse to your picture, select it and click ok. The file name will show up in the box below. Click on insert. Repeat for more pictures and then submit
        David
        2880 Sunray
        St.Lawrence River
        http://baylinerownersclub.ca
        Facebook
        Twitter

Comment

Here are a few pictures. The old guy with the grey hair is me!

Bob Hawes.
          Kelowna, B.C.
          1998 Trophy 2052 WA
          4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

awesome . nice fish and pics

Comment

Perfect, thanks!

Comment

Was that one of those groupon deals out in Chiliwack?
                Esteban
                B-ham!
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

No, the guide fishes out of Hope. We didn't see another boat on the water all day. There was no shortage of sturgeon in the water, and it was nice to be alone.
                  Bob Hawes.
                  Kelowna, B.C.
                  1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                  4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Working...
                  X