Lewmar windlass on a 32XX-gctid479411

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lewmar windlass on a 32XX-gctid479411

Just finished installing a Lewmar 1000 windlass on my 3270.Many thanks for all the inputs received in a number of BOC threads.Here is the result:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783926=37963-Guindeau 009.jpg[/img]

The unit is supplied from the engine battery bank with 1/0 tinned copper marine cable:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783926=37962-Guindeau 006.jpg[/img]

I routed the cable from under the bathroom sink to the cave and the engine room but also to the bow through the front cabin locker and a plastic tubing installed along the hull:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783926=37960-Guindeau 002.jpg[/img]

Total battery cable needed: approximately 95 feet (both ways). I had bought precut length of 50' and have a couple of feet leftover.The main connector is tucked in the front cabin close to the ancher locker but clearly out of it to prevent contact with the chain and water.I did not have any problem fitting 200 feet of 5/16" chain and left some access to knock the pile when necessary:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783926=37961-Guindeau 004.jpg[/img]

The deck was drilled as close to the bow as possible and the holes resealed with epoxy resin.I first thought raising the windlass by 2.25 inches (3x3/4' starboard) but the chain was too close to the pulpit and could damage the gelcoat:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783926=37964-Guindeau 001.jpg[/img]

Finally I raised it by 3.75 inches (5x3/4") and the season will tell me if I can possibly reduce it to 3":

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783926=37965-Guindeau 008.jpg[/img]

For the moment, I have installed the factory supplied switch at the upperhelm but I will soon add some kind of front deck control (remote or otherwise).Overall the wire routing from the stern to the bow and from the flybridge to the bow was the tricky part but I was lucky to get help from a fellow boater who happens to be a retired telephone company worker...Thank you Captain Mike!
    CapMartin, Montr├®al
    "Belle de Dalhousie"
    1986 3270
    Volvo BB225B

You could put a strip of starboard on the pulpit under the chain so the chain slides on that. Replace it when it gets ugly, and then you could lower the windlass a little. There is probably going to be alot of strain on such long bolts going through all those spacers.

Comment

green650 wrote:
      Y,,... There is probably going to be alot of strain on such long bolts going through all those spacers.
      I was thinking the same thing - any way you can lower that windlass a bit (the more the better)?
      Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
      Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
      Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

CapMartin, have you talked to others with the same Lewmar windlass? I have been looking at the 700 and 1000 freefall windlasses, but in some of the reviews I saw people were not very pleased. Complaints focused on water leaks into the motor housing. Hopefully those complaints were not representative. I have a winch on my long term wish list.

Comment

I have a Lewmar wench on the bow of my 3870 and it is mounted flat on the deck. I am having no problem with the chain rubbing the deck. For me this unit works like a charm. The only problem I have is the chain piles up under the wench and the admiral has to push it out of the way. Any one have a trick to stop this from happening?

Comment

I wish I could still see the pictures posted. I'm thinking of installing a windlass on my 3270 Motoryacht. Bought a 1986 this October. Curious about the way it mounts and how the line runs as the locker is to the right of center looking towards the bow on my boat. Guess I have to feed it in by hand as it winches up. Not very deep either. Missing the radar arch too but Ive never seen an old one for sale

Comment

I will try to repost the pictures sometimes tonight or tomorrow.
              CapMartin, Montr├®al
              "Belle de Dalhousie"
              1986 3270
              Volvo BB225B

Comment

• donnyprice
                donnyprice commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks !!!!!!

Originally posted by Kåre_L View Post
              CapMartin, have you talked to others with the same Lewmar windlass? I have been looking at the 700 and 1000 freefall windlasses, but in some of the reviews I saw people were not very pleased. Complaints focused on water leaks into the motor housing. Hopefully those complaints were not representative. I have a winch on my long term wish list.
              I have had a 1000 free fall for more than 10 years and love it. No issues however will not work well with all chain. I have chain and rode.
              John McLellan White Rock BC
              "Halifax Jack"
              1999 2855 383 stroker BII
              MMSI 316004337

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Guindeau 006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	400690Click image for larger version

Name:	Guindeau 002.JPG
Size:	681.6 KB
ID:	400693Click image for larger version

Name:	Guindeau 004.JPG
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	400692Click image for larger version

Name:	Guindeau 001.JPG
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	400694Click image for larger version

Name:	Guindeau 008.JPG
Size:	670.6 KB
ID:	400691Click image for larger version

Name:	Guindeau 009.JPG
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	400695
                CapMartin, Montr├®al
                "Belle de Dalhousie"
                1986 3270
                Volvo BB225B

Comment

• donnyprice
                  donnyprice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you !

HO! HO! HO!
                CapMartin, Montr├®al
                "Belle de Dalhousie"
                1986 3270
                Volvo BB225B

Comment

CapMartin I assume you ran the windlass wiring through the cabinet in the head some how? Did you have to cut access holes? I have the same project coming up and am very interested in how you ran the wire from the stern through to the windlass.

Paul
                  US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                  MMSI: 338181912

Comment

We started under the bathroom sink for both routes fore and aft.
                    Going aft we ended up in the cave and along the hull through and above the firewall and the starboard tank.
                    It was easy reaching the bow by the front cabin locker. I used electrical plastic tubing from the hardware store to bring it close to the chain locker.
                    I just had to remove and slightly cut the cabin locker top to fit the tubing.
                    I did not need to cut an access door although I know some people did open the base of the sitting area in the shower.
                    I had help from a friend who is retired from a telephone company. Sure knows how to drive wires in tight spots...

CapMartin, Montr├®al
                    "Belle de Dalhousie"
                    1986 3270
                    Volvo BB225B

Comment

• O1dSoldier
                      O1dSoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. I'll have to take another look and see if I can get it done without adding an opening in the head.
                  Working...
                  X