The Hood Ornament Is In Place-gctid476823

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hood Ornament Is In Place-gctid476823

We started out months ago asking BOA members if they used a PWC and if so how to transport it. The admiral and I have a Seadoo GTX155 and our boat is a 1985 3870. We got a lot of response about towing, pros and cons. The admiral was not real hip on the towing idea. So we researched mounting it on a swim platform. But were advised not to because it would push the exhaust below the water line. Next we thought about extending the flying bridge deck aft to cover the after deck and putting the PWC up there. When we got the price for this job, we knew we were not going this route. It was going to cost us three times the price of the PWC. The last option was the bow. When BOA members were asked about this some said new people who do it all the time. A friend of ours was replacing his 1,000lb lift crane with a stronger one and gave us great deal on the 1,000lb crane. So with a lot of carefull planning the round hole was bored through the deck and into the forward bedroom. A metal boot was attachted to the deck in the bedroom port side. The pole had a deck plate welded to it and bolted to a backing plate in the bedroom. The crane has fitting on it where we can insert a six foot bar and this gives us a lot of leverage on turning the crane. So yesterday was the day of truth. Sheila brought the Seadoo along the port side and I lowered the crane line down to her and she hooked it to the lift harness. Pushed the up button and up came the Seadoo and the admiral. I stopped it at deck level and she stepped onto the bow. I lifted the Seadoo a little higher to make sure we cleared the rails. Turned the crane and brought the Seadoo on board bow first. Turned it and lowered it onto the cradles. This was not as hard as we thought it was going to be. We now have a 11.5 ft "hood ornament" on our bow. We had the cradles custom made and fiber glassed to the deck.

I have pictures, can some one tell me how to post them? Keep it simple!!!!

http://s189.photobucket.com/user/bil...ml?sort=3&o=12

You lifted your wife on the crane? That could have gone horribly wrong. I wouldn't have recommended that. Doesn't that obstruct your view pretty badly? I'd guess between it and the dish, you're driving pretty much blind downstairs. Where is the crane in that pic?

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Remember Mike...without the hull extension, the lower helm is basically useless on the 38's.
      Sean
      1987 3870
      Crimson Pride II
      Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
      MMSI: 338080226

Comment

You are right about the lower helm. It is useless as far as I am concerned. Once you hook the lift harness the only way off is to ride it up or jump off and swim. The crane is laying down on the port side of the boat. You can not see it in this photo.

PS - About the wife, they are " a dime a dozen" LOL

Comment

zackc wrote:
          PS - About the wife, they are " a dime a dozen" LOL
          You'd better hope she doesn't get on the Internet.
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

No worry, the "dime a dozen" was the admirals idea. She thought it would shake you tree.

Comment

Very cool!
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              93 3058
              92 2855
              91 Fourwinns 205
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

This is a follow up to this thread. Took the boat out to Byrd Island, a 14 mile run and every thing work just great. The boat seem to track a lot better with the seadoo on the bow. Stayed out for three days. When we arrived we lowered the seadoo into the water and tethered it to the aft cleat. We used it every day. Got ready to leave to come home and the crane did its job and brought the seadoo up and placed it on the bow. Yes the boat does tilt a little to the port side when you are raising or lowering it, but not to bad. Great project, but I am glad it's done.

Comment

Working...
                X