Finished rails on 32xx-gctid466102

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished rails on 32xx-gctid466102

After stripping with heat gun and scraper, I hit it with 40, 80, then 120 on the belt sander. Wood was rough, had deep cracks, and I wanted it to look smooth. Probably took off up to an 1/8".

Also had to level the adjoing pieces since there was some rising and I was only able to tighten them down a little.

Comment

Then I hand sanded it with 180 and 220 and filled the holes. I used teak plugs but that was a little work as the drills I was using chipped the wood. Not to mention small screw holes had to be drilled big enough to fit the plugs. A boat neighbor gave me a tip that worked well. Clear epoxy mixed with teak saw dust. It worked better, was easier, and matched better since it was the same wood. This is after 2 coats of cetol. The two plugs at the bottom are the epoxy/saw dust ones. The other is standard teak plugs.

Comment

Another shot after 2 coats of cetol natural teak. I might just do one more coat and leave it. Not sure if Im going to also do the gloss coat.

Comment

Looks great! did you remove the thigh bolster cushions just to do that? Or are they MIA??
          Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
          Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
          Vice Commodore BYC

Comment

I threw them in the dumpster at the marina where I bought the boat. They were grungy.

Im going to fill the holes then maybe just stick white vinyl on with adhesive.

Comment

green650 wrote:
              Another shot after 2 coats of cetol natural teak. I might just do one more coat and leave it. Not sure if Im going to also do the gloss coat.

http://s532.photobucket.com/user/gre....jpg[/IMG]
              Nice job! Looks great and I learned something. The epoxy/sawdust tip worked really well.

Regards

Alan Teed

MOONDANCE

1994 Bayliner4788

Gig Harbor, WA
              Alan Teed
              MOONDANCE
              '94 4788
              Gig Harbor, WA
              Previously:
              2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
              Bayliner 2855
              1977 Cal 34' blowboat
              1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
              Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

Wow!...You have inspired me. Great job!

Comment

Inspired you? He's embarrassed me!!

:getsmilie
                  Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
                  Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
                  Vice Commodore BYC

Comment

We are in the process of doing the same thing to our 3218. Same process as well w/ Cetol. Yours looks great, thanks for the epoxy/resin tip! We are going to have a friend that does custom upholstery re-do our cushions with new wood.

Comment

I might just get 1/2" thick foam, wrap it in white vinyl, and stick it on with velcro. That way I can peel it off easily if necessary. I don't need it, but it don't look pretty with all those holes and the rough unfinished edge at the bottom.

Comment

Wow Green650 that is beautiful! Nice work. Can you describe a little how you made the epoxy/sawdust plug filler product? Was it a 2 part epoxy like a Smiths kind of brand and where did you get the teak dust? How did you mix it together for the correct mixture? EDIT-- Oh I just saw picture #1...now I know where you got the sawdust from......

Comment

green650 wrote:
                          I might just get 1/2" thick foam, wrap it in white vinyl, and stick it on with velcro. That way I can peel it off easily if necessary. I don't need it, but it don't look pretty with all those holes and the rough unfinished edge at the bottom.
                          Good idea but I think you might have problems with the vinyl sagging and/or pulling away from velcro. If you do decide to go with velcro I highly recommend this 3M product. "Dualock" http://www.itapestore.com/3mduallockfasteners.aspx However it is pretty easy to recreate the original finished look. You might try plywood strips as your base, or even bendy board (used to separate concrete slabs and found at the hardware store) Just add your foam, I would probably go thicker than 1/2". 1" will hide more errors and creases in folding the corners of the vinyl. Staple the vinyl to the back of the plywood and be sure to use SS or Monel staples. Also when I redo mine, which are currently white, I will probably change the color to match other blue vinyl on the boat. Here is a pic of 1" foam used on an interior panel.

Regards

Alan Teed

MOONDANCE

1994 Bayliner 4788

Gig Harbor, WA

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                          Alan Teed
                          MOONDANCE
                          '94 4788
                          Gig Harbor, WA
                          Previously:
                          2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
                          Bayliner 2855
                          1977 Cal 34' blowboat
                          1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
                          Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

Fair Dinkum wrote:
                            Wow Green650 that is beautiful! Nice work. Can you describe a little how you made the epoxy/sawdust plug filler product? Was it a 2 part epoxy like a Smiths kind of brand and where did you get the teak dust? How did you mix it together for the correct mixture? EDIT-- Oh I just saw picture #1...now I know where you got the sawdust from......
                            Yeah, there was plenty of sawdust from the beltsander.

I used regular 5 minute 2 part epoxy from home depot. Probably about the same amount of saw dust as epoxy.

Comment

I cannot see the pictures in these posts.
                              1987 3270 135-Hino
                              Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

Working...
                              X