• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 bayliner victoria flybridge-gctid353790

Hi.

im new in this forum.my name is andrew.

i have a Headaches.

i got this boat with volvo 5.7l (broken) and volvo 280 leg.

floor is good,transom etc.

i didn`t like the bunk beds and the galley so as im handyman(i did convert 4 motorhomes and build a camper from scratch)i started to renovate the cabin.im building a dinette like rv`s have it and removwed the upper bank so now is the sofa only.i will be using this boat for weekends cruising and fishing.

the previous owner install the propane tank on the flybridge (20 lbs) the he drilled a hole thfue cabin ceiling and countertop the installed ss pipe to run the propane hose.i don`t like this idea so i removed everything.where to put the propane tank fo easy access.i thought about cockpit on the port side right beside the flybridge ladder then run the propane rubber hose to my rv 2 burner cooktop.

the other option i thought about camp stove (propane or butane).

any addvice please

btw.

if someone is lookin for a engine this what i found (I think good $$$ )

http://usengine.us/volvopenta.html

Comment

Read up on using propane on a boat - the tank is on the bridge for a reason.

Boat is not an RV - propane is heavier than air and hull displaces water so bottom of bilge can collect any leaks and create an explosive environment.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

before i post this thread i was reading alot about propane.

that`s why im confused why have to be on The fly in the locker and not in the cockpit in the locker vented overboard.IT`S MORE CONVINIENT TO OPEN AND CLOSE THE BOTTLE VALVE

thx for reply

Comment

Hi Andrew. Welcome to BOC! We have identical boats and I have done a lot to mine, including relocating the galley and subsequently getting rid of bunk beds.

If this will be helpful to you, I have several projects I documented in this section. Here are the links to the threads:

Victoria 2750 Galley Relocation

Victoria 2750 Ceiling Replacement

Flybridge Floor Makeover

Click here for ABYC standards for installing propane tanks on a boat. You'll see why the tank was installed on the flybridge. In my opinion, the flybridge is the only place on the Victoria I would consider safe for installing a propane tank.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Comment

thx

im in this forum and others for last 5 months and belive me i read alot that`s why im confused,

i understand theat propane on boat is danger.i understand that i have to have tank locker with vent from bottom of the locker to overboard but i don`t understand why have to be in the fly if another boats has on the cockpit.some of the boat owners has camp stoves in the galley for years and they never have problems.everyone says use common sence.im going to install my bbq on the rail (ss not the original )with the 1 lb tanks in the magna bag hanging out over the transom (swim platform).lots os ppl doing this and no problems.

my ? is why has to be in the flybridge ?

im not trying to be ignorant but what is the real reason ?

Comment

Astral Blue

i saw your pictures and modifications many times ( even saved) .Do You have Your tank in the flybridge ?.You made Your kitchen on the entry to the cabin on the starboard side.above the is a seating area on the flybridge with 14" above the fly floor.

where did You put Your locker ?

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/656695=24899-1275882_7.jpg[/img]

Comment

The one pound propane cylinders are not as much of a safety concern (although proper precaution should be taken) as would be a 20 lb propane tank. Remember, propane is heavier than air; and if it should leak, the propane will find itself in the lowest point it can possibly make it to. If the tank is on the flybridge and there is a leak, much of the propane will have dissipated into the air to render the concentration making it to the bilge. The goal here is to prevent propane from making it to an enclosed area (i.e., the bilge) and becoming an explosion hazard.

If proper precautions are taken, you could technically place the propane cylinder on the aft deck and be OK. The effort involved and the space it will take up are (in my opinion) not worth it.

I currently do not have a 20 gallon propane tank on board. I have a magma grill and will carry the one pound cylinder on board. For my stove, I use a portable butane unit. The stove pictured in the galley was taking up too much counter space, so I sold it. But that was being powered with one pound cylinders as well.

Comment

i think that i will go as You with the butane cooktop.this way will solve my headache.

i got this boat for $50.

after the engine blow (200 hr on rebuilt ) the insurance company paid this guy for boat replacement so i thought it is worth to do something with her.

was nothing wrong with the boat except the engine but like everyone i want to do it my way.

also i will be changing the Upholstery with ultra suede in light color.the original cabin was too dark.

thx for replays and addvice

Comment

andrew 1 wrote:
                    thx

im in this forum and others for last 5 months and belive me i read alot that`s why im confused,

i understand theat propane on boat is danger.i understand that i have to have tank locker with vent from bottom of the locker to overboard but i don`t understand why have to be in the fly if another boats has on the cockpit.some of the boat owners has camp stoves in the galley for years and they never have problems.everyone says use common sence.im going to install my bbq on the rail (ss not the original )with the 1 lb tanks in the magna bag hanging out over the transom (swim platform).lots os ppl doing this and no problems.

my ? is why has to be in the flybridge ?

im not trying to be ignorant but what is the real reason ?
                    The higher up the tank is mounted with the "drain" vent as high as possible the odds of any spilled/leaking propane flowing out and into the bilge are greatly reduced.

If the tank is immedately above the hatch into the bilge and in the bowl shape of the boat it is much more likely that any leaks will flow into the low sections of the boat.

There are plenty of unsafe things that work for years, and probably will be fine for the future but when there is a risk element that is fairly easy to eliminate it is good to do and not tempt fate. The guy that just blew himself up at John Wayne marina a couple weeks ago on an older boat had probably had years of not blowing himself up with the same setup that ended up killing him.
                    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
                    X