No announcement yet.

4788 forward head remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amx1kjw - we need photos of your finished project! Before and after too please!
    David
    Sidney, B.C.
    MV Cassiopeia V
    1990 4588
    twin 250 hp Hinos
    9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
    Call Sign: CFDF
    MMSI: 316014351

Comment

• Amx1kjw
      Amx1kjw commented
      Editing a comment
      Before Pic not taken, but it was original with the Bayliner wallpaper. Posted after pics in thread below.

Kevin, would shower enclosure panels work? They come in a lot of varieties, are waterproof, light and thin

Comment

You know the more I look at the two heads, and having lived on board for 10 years now, I would have preferred that Bayliner created one head, instead of two. The shower in the guest room is big enough for children and the intersection of the two bathrooms makes the tub in the master uncomfortable to use. At least for my size.
      Patrick and Patti
      4588 Pilothouse 1991
      12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
      M/V "Paloma"
      MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Thanks! The framing you did is pretty much exactly what I’m thinking of doing.

Question???

On the rest of the area where you fastened the panels directly to the wall, have you seen any movement in a rough sea between the panels attached to the pilothouse dash rear and the ones attached to the hallway or shower walls.

I am trying to figure out why Bayliner built the shower the way they did with nothing physically connected to the pilothouse module.

My only guess is that as part of manufacturing they built out the head, ceiling and all, then dropped the pilothouse assembly in place. That or movement issues are the only logical reason I can think of.

"My only guess is that as part of manufacturing they built out the head, ceiling and all, then dropped the pilothouse assembly in place."
        That is how they did it on the 4588 - we have pics/video showing the process.
        My best guess is they did the exact same with the 4788.
        Northport NY

Comment

Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

"My only guess is that as part of manufacturing they built out the head, ceiling and all, then dropped the pilothouse assembly in place."
          That is how they did it on the 4588 - we have pics/video showing the process.
          My best guess is they did the exact same with the 4788.
          Thanks!

That means I can attach the panels to the pilothouse without worry.
          I’ll probably leave a little room for movement just in case and use a trim piece over the joint.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Here are some finished photos....
            hopes this help. held FRP on framing with SS screw with button snap covers. similar to ones used on instrument panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Amx1kjw View Post
              hopes this help. held FRP on framing with SS screw with button snap covers. similar to ones used on instrument panels.
              Thanks! Very clean looking remodel!

That’s pretty much what I’m going to do with the shower, just with my personal touch for the colors.

Thanks!!!! seeing how YOU did it is a model for how to make up for the inefficiencies of modular Manufacturing!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by Amx1kjw View Post
                I was looking over your photos trying to figure out how I'm going to tackle this job when I noticed something. It appears that you simply painted the fiberglass back of the pilothouse helm panel that forms the upper part of the shower. Is this correct?

I ask this because at least on my boat I think that area is just too rough looking to paint. Even though I would be giving up some of my new-found shower space I think that I would rather cover that with the same material that I'm finishing out the shower in, which is formica. What I'm thinking is that I can use a plywood substrate, glue formica to that and then glue the formica covered plywood to the existing raw fiberglass.

Here are a couple of photos. What I want to do is basically as sketched out. In red are two vertical pieces. The one on the right would be back cut to match the oblique angle so there is no edge showing of my plywood panel.

The blue one is a horizontal piece adhered to the bottom of the fiberglass "intrusion" into the shower area.

And ther green is the yet to be figured out covering for the wires and the exhaust duct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE0A31FF-0F3A-46A8-A7F9-72FA741BBACE.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	609003

Name:	861266EB-24FA-46E5-B335-F0CA473CFA35.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	823.0 KB
ID:	609004

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Today was a productive day. The first piece of the newly re-designed shower is installed.

This was the toughest one as it involved several different angles, and is super important as it sets the lines for the rest of the shower.

In the first photo the red line is where a similar piece used to go. The space added is about 8"

The material I am using for this portion is 3/8 ACX plywood and the furring is 1X2. Both are available at Home Depot.
                  This section is construction adhesive glued to the pilothouse module, and screws were added for strength.

The covering of the plywood is a rather bland off white formica that seems to match everything while being completely unexciting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	53302FA8-E1CC-4AE6-9B33-5B55E9867730.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	609453 Click image for larger version  Name:	DD794119-F08D-4C94-8E03-0B0157BDEF2A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	609454 Click image for larger version  Name:	1BB85A1E-5024-4A3B-9ADF-45161A6855A6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	609455 Click image for larger version  Name:	93C1A606-A8E6-4862-932E-572FA50EF427.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	609456

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Here's a mid project update.

As you can see from the previous posts the upper area is pretty much complete.

I have made up formica covered panels for most of the lower areas, and will finish that work tomorrow.

After that it will be figuring out how to make removable covers for the wires and venting. Why??? Well it seems that area is a great cable route between the pilothouse and the electrical panel area. I think it would be best to have panels that one could remove to pull additional cables if need be.

Here are some photos of todays work.

This is not an easy project by any measure. I have a lifetime of home remodeling experience under my belt. Everything from custom hardwood trim work to full on bath remodels and most things in between. This is a challenge. I now know why Bayliner used wallpaper.

In this forward head there are a Bunch of challenges. First the structure cannot be removed, and is plywood screwed together at odd angles using things like corner braces. Then you have all the individual pieces. I liken it to building a shower out of hexagons.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0CF4A4FA-3838-42D8-ACBF-F839EF2106DB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	611260 Click image for larger version  Name:	27E5DF75-AD4F-43C4-9E6D-FA393B1942A1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	611261 Click image for larger version  Name:	ADAD81C1-382F-4D12-9914-BE436E777C8D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	611262

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

I do not have any fresh photos but am happy to announce that after five nights on the boat, and working full time I have finally completed the shower portion.

If you look at the posts above, solving the "puzzle" how to increase room in the shower, and cover everything in a nice looking manner is no easy task. Think about it like this... A home shower has either three or four pieces to it. Front, back, and two sides.

A Bayliner 4788 forward shower has over 15 pieces to it and none of them are square. The phorto I will share is that when I got home this afternoon my trim was waiting for me. hurray!

As you know, Trim makes the job complete!

All I need to do now is to install the wallpaper in the non shower areas, add the trim in the photo to the shower, and some teak trim in the rest of the head.

I'm figuring another three or four days work and this project will be a done deal.

Name:	A16E96C9-32C1-4212-ACCC-D649E2224363.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	613671

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Well the forward head remodel project is complete.

Am I happy? Yes I'm happy but I'm not as happy as I wanted to be with the results.
                        I'm happy that it's done, and watertight.
                        I'm happy the rotted wood is replaced.
                        I'm happy that thew shower is larger.
                        I'm happy that the falling off wallpaper is replaced.

What I feel like is that I tried to create a silk purse out of a sows ear.
                        I feel like I got into the project and was trapped.

There are so many pieces to the shower and so many angles it's really tough to make it look "right".

Here are the finished photos.

I used plastic for the trim in the shower to have a fully waterproof installation.
                        To be honest I'm considering removing the plastic and accenting the shower with teak trim. I think it would look nicer.

But today the job is done. We'll see if it grows on me.

Name:	image_35366.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	617801 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35367.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	617802 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35368.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	617803 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35369.jpg
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	617804 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35370.jpg
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	617805 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35371.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	617806

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Finished product looks very nice Kevin. The white trim is clean looking, but teak trim might work with the rest of the trim. Either way it's quite a project!

James
                          1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                          Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                          Lowrance Electronics!
                          Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                          Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                          AGLCA #8340
                          MTOA# 7469

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
                            Finished product looks very nice Kevin. The white trim is clean looking, but teak trim might work with the rest of the trim. Either way it's quite a project!

James
                            Thanks very Much!

I am just glad the job is done! Between the aft and forward heads that's all I've done for several months.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Well, I am back on the boat and now have had four showers in my newly remodeled and expanded shower.

What a joy! I gained several critical inches of shoulder room making the whole feel much more open.

Now is the time to analyze the project results and post some lessons learned so that others contemplating this remodel can learn.

First, gaining several inches in the shower is well worth the effort. The other option would be to either strip the wallpaper off of every OEM panel, or easier cut new plywood panels of the exact same OEM size, cover them, and re-assemble just like the OEM.

The material I chose was to glue formica to 1/4" and 3/8" plywood and custom fabricate all the panels necessary to gain the wasted space from the OEM design.
                              In hindsight I would do it differently if i had it to do over. I would choose a material that is solid color all the way through.

I debated using HDPE (starboard) but caulk does not stick to HDPE. That lead me to the formica over plywood choice.

The problem with my choice is all the outside corners necessary for the shower enclosure. On any outside corner the core material is naturally visible. This requires trim, and believe me outside corner trim of any color and size is REALLY difficult to source.

Choosing a material with through and through color would make this project MUCH easier. The perfect material would be easy to cut, easy to drill and be compatible with glues and caulks.

Then comes the idea of how to hold it all together. Bayliner used a brad nailer to nail the pre-covered pieces together. That was probably the easiest way to hide the fasteners. I chose to use Stainless Steel screws and I have installed matching screw caps. I do not have a good solution for that. You cannot nail through formica or it will break so I did not have a lot of choices there.
                              Perhaps someone could glue the thing together without fasteners but it did not make sense to me. Fasteners are something you just have to live with.

Anyway, I hope sharing this project helps someone down the road because sooner or later we are all going to have to go through it. Our boats are all either at or approaching rapidly 20 years old and remodels on boats, like houses are necessary over time.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X