3988 Watermaker Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 Watermaker Install

I recently finished a new watermaker install in our 3988 -- the 100 gallon water capacity is just too limiting, especially with guests that have limited boating experience :-).

I choose to purchase a component system, as it was cheaper, uses standard readily available parts/components, I could install the various components in different places, and I would also know the system better for future maintenance. I really did not have a single place I could completely install a stand alone system. I purchased the system from Seawater Pro ( in Florida). For my system (which produces around 35-38 GPH) -- the total installed cost was around $4300 .. and of course a lot of my time.

I installed the HP and Boost pumps under the aft port cockpit, the pressure vessels on the aft port hull and the control panel and prefilters behind the port cockpit hatch ( for easy access) -- lots of placement planning to make sure I could access the fittings/connections for service and easily change out the consumables ( i.e. the prefilters).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	594997Click image for larger version

Name:	61620313506__6A3BAE3D-9D24-4754-BE0D-5A03D3F20085.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	889.5 KB
ID:	594998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	595001
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	594999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	595000
    Attached Files
    Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
    Semiahmoo, WA

Nice thought about putting the filters and control panel in a easy to get to place!

I’m curious...

I have probably almost the same system, just packaged by a different vendor (Cruise RO).

What make and model of boost pump are you using?

What I have found is that the boost pump seems to be the weak link in my RO system. Over the years I have transitioned to a Jabsco variable speed, constant pressure pump, and this works pretty well but it is not a continuous duty pump. Although it has a good strong fan blowing on it it does occasionally thermal shut down requiring a cool down time and power cycle.

What I would really like to do long term is to move to a 120V boost pump. I know why Rich uses a 12V boost pump but I do not agree with him. He uses a 12V boost pump in order to allow auto flushing on boats without a inverter.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
      Nice thought about putting the filters and control panel in a easy to get to place!

I have probably almost the same system, just packaged by a different vendor (Cruise RO).

What make and model of boost pump are you using?

What I have found is that the boost pump seems to be the weak link in my RO system. Over the years I have transitioned to a Jabsco variable speed, constant pressure pump, and this works pretty well but it is not a continuous duty pump. Although it has a good strong fan blowing on it it does occasionally thermal shut down requiring a cool down time and power cycle.

What I would really like to do long term is to move to a 120V boost pump. I know why Rich uses a 12V boost pump but I do not agree with him. He uses a 12V boost pump in order to allow auto flushing on boats without a inverter.
      HI Kevin -- I am sure the one supplied with my system is a weak link as well ( time will tell) -- its an 12V Everflow EF3000 Bypass bump -- easy to find and pretty inexpensive. I have read that the best and most reliable to use are 120V aquarium pumps. I'll need to dig up the reference and link .. I think they were around $250-300?. For fresh water flush -- this system just uses your vessel fresh water pressure ( on a timer with appropriate backflow device ) .

The philosophy of Seawater Pro seems to be is provide as many of the components as possible that can be purchased easily via Amazon -- he really only offers multiple options for the High Pressure motors and Pumps.

Jim
      Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo88 View Post

HI Kevin -- I am sure the one supplied with my system is a weak link as well ( time will tell) -- its an 12V Everflow EF3000 Bypass bump -- easy to find and pretty inexpensive. I have read that the best and most reliable to use are 120V aquarium pumps. I'll need to dig up the reference and link .. I think they were around $250-300?. For fresh water flush -- this system just uses your vessel fresh water pressure ( on a timer with appropriate backflow device ) .

The philosophy of Seawater Pro seems to be is provide as many of the components as possible that can be purchased easily via Amazon -- he really only offers multiple options for the High Pressure motors and Pumps.

Jim
        Thanks, Do you have a bypass valve to adjust the pressure of the boost pump?

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Thanks, Do you have a bypass valve to adjust the pressure of the boost pump?
          Yes I do. However I am not really sure what the optimum pressure is or how to determine it.
          Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

Jimbo - Great install pics.

I'm looking to move into a 3988 this spring and a water maker is on the immediate upgrade list. Seen the Seawater Pro systems and others. Now that you've installed and used the system, any things you'd do different?
            Sea Venture
            2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
            Cruising the PNW and beyond.
            DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
            MMSI 316029971

Kirk
            Drinks well with others.

Comment

That’s a nice looking installation. Finished projects always look simple. A lotta work went into that.
              "Impasse". 2001 3988
              Cummins 330's
              Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Wow...Excellent work. Between this, the drop down TV, hull extension, pulpit nose job, hot and cold water in that anchor locker, and all the other update/upgrades, you probably have the most outfitted 3988 out there.
                Guntar
                1999 3988
                Cummins 270s

Comment

Originally posted by SprinterX View Post
                  Jimbo - Great install pics.

I'm looking to move into a 3988 this spring and a water maker is on the immediate upgrade list. Seen the Seawater Pro systems and others. Now that you've installed and used the system, any things you'd do different?
                  Thanks!
                  There are definitely a few things I would have approached differently. The 2 that gave me the most install headaches and as well might create me some ease of maintenance issue later:
                  1. Prior to install, I wish I did a better job of creating a more complete "to scale" mock up of the components so you can really see both install and service access issue for all parts of the system. Sometimes a 1/2 inch can make your life miserable 😉
                  2. I also wish I had done better research on the "plumbing" side of the project. I (wrongly) assumed the high pressure side of the system might be the challenge. Turned out that was the easy part. The low pressure side is susceptible to both water leaks and air (input) leaks, and you kind of have to mix a bunch of different connector types. .. unfortunately some don't play as well with others but at first seemed appropriate. Less is More -- best to minimize potential leak points, and buy better brands when possible too.

Good luck on your search for a 3988! We really enjoy ours.

Jim
                  Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X