2858 Winter Projects and Haulout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2858 Winter Projects and Haulout

Just put the boat back in the water after 2 weeks out.
    • Installed bow thruster
    • Bottom paint
    • Outdrive paint
    • New Zincs
    • Changed outdrive oil
    • Removed the bootstripe as well as the upper trim stripes
    • Also this winter
    • Replaced the upper steering cable, steering wheel and tilt mechanism
    • Replaced the bridge switch covers and some of the switches themselves
    • Covered the bridge gauge and switch panels in wood-grain vinyl
    After thinking about it for years we finally pulled the trigger on installing a bow thruster. I paid Puget Sound Yacht Service to install the tunnel and install the motor I ran all the wiring and hooked it up. I haven't got the chance to really try it out yet but I'm hopeful that it makes a big difference getting in and out of my home port. The other thing I did while it was out of the water was to scrape off the bootstripe and I'm really happy with the results - I may replace it at some point in the future, but the existing one was so beat up that it looked really shabby.

1998 Bayliner 2858
    7.4L MPI / Bravo III
    Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Looks good without the boot stripe! We had a 2858 7.4mpi/B3 with a vetus bow thruster. What size thruster did you install? I found our 21kgf a bit weak in really windy conditions.

James
    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
    Lowrance Electronics!
    Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
    Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
    AGLCA #8340
    MTOA# 7469

Comment

I went with the Lewmar 140tt 2.2, it claims to be 92lbs (41kg) thrust. We'll see how it goes, I need all the help I can get, when the wind catches that boat inside a tight marina it can get interesting fast! Our home slip is very tight and requires 2 90 degree turns in about 1 boat length so a little bit of wind can get tricky.
      1998 Bayliner 2858
      7.4L MPI / Bravo III
      Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

You had Paul do the easy part - running the wires is a PIA. He did mine a few years back. very happy with it.
        97 2859

Comment

Working...
        X