Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy I/O Conversion

Hi guys!
    I have been toying with the idea of popping an outboard on my trophy for a while now and are at the point where the leader of the opposition is onside, so its happening.
    There are a number of reasons why I'd like to do the conversion and are posting in this forum because I'm hoping there are people here who would like to share their skills and knowledge rather than spouting out comments as if they are fact without any experience in the fact. Hoping not to stir up a hornets nest here.

- The engine cover is a pain and would increase the deck space for a multitude of activities.
    - A large storage space would be well loved, especially when dropping 6-10kg fish in there one after another.
    - This will remove the eskys from zipping across the deck freeing up more space.
    - Adding a swim platform would make entry/exit from the water more accessible when spearfishing and give a safe space to store extra juice for long range trips.
    - A lift up bench seat will be better to park some butts over the bait tank and step.

The outboard hanging off the stern will be an obstacle to dodge when fishing but that said, I have a bait board there and walking around that huge mound while fighting marlin in a swell is no easy task. I think it will be infinitely easier.

I understand that moving a large weight from below the water line to above and aft will create some stability issues so I have a few questions from those that have seen this done before.
    - What size engine would you recommend? I was thinking 225hp possibly 300hp so the engine is not working as hard when cruising
    - Floatation pod? This will assist in accommodating the engine weight but possibly further increase the instability.
    - Extend the waterline or raise it to become a semi floatation pod?

I am also removing the bimini and installing a light weight foam core hard top to store bulky swags. They fill the front berth and get wet if stored on the bow in cross winds. The pic is the style of frame I am going for, light weight without the canvas obviously. I can then put a solar panel up there to keep the batteries charged when running all the accessories while at anchor and also free up some dash space by relocating some electronics overhead.

2004, 2359 Trophy conversion: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...onversion.html
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

The main issue with doing this is the cost factor; New outboards are very expensive and buying used can be risky especially given the very high price of outboard engine parts. To me the main benefit would be if you had a boat slipped or moored in salt water and could not justify the extra maintenance to keep using the boat. For a trailered fresh water boat I don’t think it is worth the cost and time it will take.
      Here where I am it would actually make sense but if i trailered the boat or was in fresh water I would not even consider it. Stick with the simple and cheap to repair GM inboard engine.
      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

“The leader of the opposition” haha haha. I love it! Thanks for the morning laugh.
        Currently watching from shore while deciding what my next boat will be !

Comment

Sell it and buy this

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...everglades-243

Will be about the same net price and you are ready to fish, plus already has the hardtop and electronics

2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
          Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
          Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Seems like a major undertaking.....any idea to cost? Will you being doing the work?

Any particular reason you are stuck on this boat, as opposed to selling and buying something already configured the way you want it.....seems like you get a lot of usage out of your boat?

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
              That one is done very nice. Professional boat shop did it, so lots of labor money on that one.
              A comparable boat would be a Parker, and it would be upwards of 100k.
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
                Sell it and buy this

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...everglades-243

Will be about the same net price and you are ready to fish, plus already has the hardtop and electronics

Hmmm....thats the boat I need. I was drooling on their 39’ model yesterday at the boat show... if the stock market continues on the same path for a couple more years!
                Esteban
                Huntington Beach, California
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
                Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

• TX H210 SS
                  TX H210 SS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah....they are really nice boats. This is my brothers and he just sold his place on water....fish wells are clean as they've never had fish in them....it was used to dolphin watch, restaurant rides and firework display.

The owner of Wetsounds had bay house down the road and he did the sound system, which i wish I had in my boat.......I was always impressed with power that Yamaha 300 had and how quiet it runs.
              Working...
              X