Garmin Fuel Flow Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Fuel Flow Sensor

Added a Garmin Fuel Flow Sensor to our 2000 Bayliner 2859 this Spring. It networks(nema 2000) into the Garmin Chart plotter andGarmin GMi 10 instrument. Sure adds a lot of data, and makes it easy to find the "sweet spot". I've got the GMi 10 instrument set up to show speed thru the water (knots) and gallon per hour. I've found that indicated speed exceeds GPH at between 17 and 18 knots (3600 - 3800 rpm) - 17.5 kn @ 16 GPH.

Are you able to get a reading of NM/Gal? On my previous boat I had a Northstar chartplotter and fuel flow sensor. I set it to show NM/Gal. This was extremely helpful when triming the boat. I would set the desired RPM and trim to get max NM/Gal. As I got close to he sweet spot the RPMs would go up, so I'd throttle back a bit. Eventually I would find the sweet spot for my current conditions.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Yes the Instruments will display NM/Gal. Since the number displayed seemed to hover right at "1", it didn't seem as informative as having the speed and NM/Gal displayed side by side. As noted, at 17.5 knots indicated (water speed, not GPS speed), the displayed GPH runs about 16.1 to 16.8. Thus at 17.5 kn, I'm getting better than 1 nautical mile per gallon. Same useful info as displaying NM/Gal - just seems like my brain absorbs it better the way I have it displayed. The Garmin GMi 10 has multiple display options - one of which could be a 2 line display with 2 items per line, or four items total. Example: water speed - GPH - NM/Gal - and gallons remaining.

Comment

I love my Garmin fuel flow sensors. Just another tool to make sure all is good.
        Dave
        2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
        2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
        2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

This thread is timely... my Lowrance LMF-200 multi-function gauge just died over the weekend... completely garbled display, and alarm continuously ringing. Used with the Lowrance fuel flow sensor. But honestly I've not been particularly happy with that combo, never seemed to be particularly reliable. So, I'm after something to replace it without too much hassle. Already have NMEA2K to my engine room for the sensor

Not hi-jacking the thread... but you all seem pretty happy with the Garmin fuel flow setup?
          Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
          Tsawwassen, BC
          1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
          Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
          "Island Passport"
          Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

Comment

I use the Lowrance sensor with my Simrad plotter. Works great. You should be able to use your sensor with a NMEA 2000 plotter. Vendor shouldn't matter.
            Glen Sherwood
            1987 3270 twin 305’s
            Coupeville, WA

Comment

But hey, if you want to get rid of that Lowrance sender let me know. I could use a 2nd one.
              Glen Sherwood
              1987 3270 twin 305’s
              Coupeville, WA

Comment

Returning for an overnighter at Bartlett's landing on Government Island - upstream from Portland, OR - took a pic of the instruments. The black band across the Chart plotter is the I-205 bridge. The Garmin GM10 shows depth of 36.1 ft. on the top line, and water speed of 14.5 Kn and fuel use of 14.2 GPH on the second line.

Comment

Originally posted by tdcooper99 View Post
                  This thread is timely... my Lowrance LMF-200 multi-function gauge just died over the weekend... completely garbled display, and alarm continuously ringing. Used with the Lowrance fuel flow sensor. But honestly I've not been particularly happy with that combo, never seemed to be particularly reliable. So, I'm after something to replace it without too much hassle. Already have NMEA2K to my engine room for the sensor

Not hi-jacking the thread... but you all seem pretty happy with the Garmin fuel flow setup?
                  Tyson,

I’ve got a new LMF-200 gauge that I’ve never installed, I’d sell it if you’re interested. I’m in Ontario.

James
                  1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                  Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                  Lowrance Electronics!
                  MMSI
                  VHF
                  CFA 2587
                  Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                  Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                  AGLCA #8340

Comment

Again not wanting to hyjack this thread but as were discussing fuel flow sensors....does anyone know where I can buy a fuel sensor model 20b or The older 264 for a Floscan 9000? Mine just went Kaput and I'm really missing it. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post

Tyson,

I’ve got a new LMF-200 gauge that I’ve never installed, I’d sell it if you’re interested. I’m in Ontario.

James
                      Wow, don't know how I missed this reply... got busy in August and didn't check in as often as I like to. Thanks for the offer of the LMF-200.... but in the end I splurged a bit and bought a Simrad IS35: https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simr...digital-gauge/

Really happy with it... and the best part is, it was completely plug n' play, the LMF-200 retained all fuel data, so I didn't lose anything.... and it takes it's power from the NMEA bus... the LMF-200 needed separate power. So overall a very good solution. Overkill for my boat, but still nice.
                      Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
                      Tsawwassen, BC
                      1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
                      Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
                      "Island Passport"
                      Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

Comment

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that one should be watching fuel flow rate vs speed over water, or speed over ground......I'm leaning towards speed over ground (my speed wheel doesnt work on my boat anyway, so GPS speed is all I ever see anyway!)
                        If you could explain why you'd want to see gallons over water speed, I'd love to understand it.
                        97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by JThiessen View Post
                          I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that one should be watching fuel flow rate vs speed over water, or speed over ground......I'm leaning towards speed over ground (my speed wheel doesnt work on my boat anyway, so GPS speed is all I ever see anyway!)
                          If you could explain why you'd want to see gallons over water speed, I'd love to understand it.

Sorry it took so long to respnd...

GPS/Speed Over Ground (SOG) does not take current into account...for example, if you were heading upriver with 2 knots of current in your favor your SOG would read 2 knots faster...likewise if you were in fowl current you would see a SOG of 2 knots slower than actual (over water). When viewing Speed Over Water (SOW), you will see the actual speed of the boat going through the water. GPS Nautical Miles does not care about speed so true nautical miles would be captured. On the other hand, a trip odometer based on SOW would not measure accurately because it does not care about actual miles traveled.

Extreme example...if your boat were traveling at 15 knots over water and you were facing a fowl current of 15 knots, the boat would stand still compared to the surroundings. Your GPS Nautical Miles would register 0 NM after an hour but your water speed instrument/odometer would register 15NM...

Does this help...?
                          1988 3888
                          Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                          Onan 8KW

Comment

• Nickp
                            Nickp commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry...answered the wrong question...

I have a Garmin GPSMAP741xs Chart Plotter with a Garmin GFS-10 Fuel Flow Sensor. My chartplotter measures in miles and MPH, not nautical miles. I haven't tried setting it to display knots and NM, maybe I'll look into that- and Gallons/Mile would be helpful. But certainly I would continue to use ground speed, not water speed, since Puget Sound tides are the biggest factor. We normally "cruise" at just 1800-2000 RPM, unless we're in a place with a fast opposing tide. Then we STEP on it to get outta that situation!
                          Jeff Prime
                          "Optimystic Prime"
                          2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by optimist_prime View Post
                            I have a Garmin GPSMAP741xs Chart Plotter with a Garmin GFS-10 Fuel Flow Sensor. My chartplotter measures in miles and MPH, not nautical miles. I haven't tried setting it to display knots and NM, maybe I'll look into that- and Gallons/Mile would be helpful. But certainly I would continue to use ground speed, not water speed, since Puget Sound tides are the biggest factor. We normally "cruise" at just 1800-2000 RPM, unless we're in a place with a fast opposing tide. Then we STEP on it to get outta that situation!
                            This rpm you’ve stated caught my eye. Is this a diesel powered 28?
                            Dave
                            Edmonds, WA
                            "THE FIX"
                            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                            Misc. projects thread
                            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• optimist_prime
                              optimist_prime commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Dave it's a gas motor. And "cruising" for us is off the step... unless, of course, we have a reason to punch it up on a plane. And a 4 MPH opposing tide is a good reason.
                          Working...
                          X