More like a completed project that is now not complete-gctid349945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More like a completed project that is now not complete-gctid349945

Last summer I built a cabinet to hold the microwave and coffee maker. Once I got it on the boat I hated it...to large. So it is now back in the garage along with the original one which I plan on adding to for the coffee maker.

Original:

What I built last summer: (I hate it)

The factory opening is 18 x 9 1/2 x 11. ( 10" height on the inside minus the wood trim. The smallest units I can find are 17 x 10 1/8 x 12 3/4. So I am 1/8 of an inch short...story of my life. I am looking for options.

1) Do I raise the entire unit 1/2-1 inch using a piece of oak trim similar to what is on the boat now?

2) Do I try to build a new, complete unit using the factory one as a template and make it larger?

3) Does anyone know of an outlet that has smaller than a .6 cubic foot unit? Here is a link of the smallest unit I could find.

http://d7258305.u68.sonicinet.com/Pr...5&idproduct=50
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

I seems that you can improve this by adding shelving to the closed in areas in order to provide more storage.

The system looks good, but does look over powering. How can you utilize the frame you already have and add more storage to the right side?

Comment

Im picturing a stainless box, much slimer. Made so the coffee maker is pre mounted in the top, and the microwave opening would have provisions to screw the unit to the countertop, and the microwave slid in after mounting. The cost of stainless will be much more than wood but the compact install would be worth it. I think.

Beau

Comment

Overpowering, that is a perfect way to describe it.

What I am considering doing is splitting the factory set up into 2 pieces. The narrow shelf staying where it is and allowing the section designed for a microwave to slide forward and elevate it enough to allow the microwave to side in and coffee maker to sit on top.

Or, I can just drink instant coffee.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

How about a different coffee maker? I have a small cuisinart that I easily store beneath the sink. You only use the coffee maker a very short time each day, why take up valuable space with it.

Now if it was a dedicated margarita maker my story would be different.... :beer-

Comment

The 120v oulets in my travel trailer do not need a box as there are no exposed metal on the fixture. It just takes a cutout in the interior wall and there are hooks that rotate and pinch the wall material to the oulet face. I tried to look for them online but could not find anything. I know they make them because I have them in my trailer. Maybe you can try an RV repair place close to you.

EDIT: Oops, wrong type of oulet. I thought you were looking for an electrical outlet. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
            X