Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great job, that looks fantastic.

Comment

Did you remove the rub rail prior to painting?
      Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
      1989 2855
      Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Originally posted by watchthis View Post
        Did you remove the rub rail prior to painting?
        No I didn't.
        I taped it off and I did install new vinyl too.
        Removing that rail would not be something I'd be willing to do.
        Wet'ever
        1989 Avanti 2955
        460 King Cobra

Comment

I ask because my 1989 will benefit from the same treatment as yours, but the existing black caulk line at the rub rail isn't all that visually appealing.
          1989 2855
          Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

I ask because my 1989 will benefit from the same treatment as yours, but the existing black caulk line at the rub rail isn't all that visually appealing.
            The previous owner or someone ran a bead of silicone along the top and bottom of my rail channel that I could peel out in 2-3ft lengths as I began to clean the gelcoat for sanding prep. I'm going to reseal with a bead of 4100 along top and bottom the entire length but leaving the aft corner bottom edges unsealed so anything that happens to intrude will have somewhere to hopefully exit. Could you remove the black caulk and replace with very thin beads of white?
            Last edited by HueyCrew; 08-14-2019, 10:40 AM. Reason: edited for spell check
            Dave
            Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
            5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
            Sold:
            1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
            Mariner 150
            Towing with:
            2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
            Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

Mine had a bead of clear silicone on the top side. A utility knife sliced it of cleanly. No effort.
              I have the silicone to replace the bead but have yet to do so.
              Wet'ever
              1989 Avanti 2955
              460 King Cobra

Comment

You may want to consider Loctite or 3M 4200 instead of silicone as they will stay bonded and resist the environment better. Folks go for silicone I think since it's cheaper and used to be readily avail at hardware stores but most ( the big national chains anyway) now carry marine grade chemicals too. My silicone began to lift out with only light scrubbing with a brush and some places had disbanded on their own.... That (and a couple of unsealed thru to trim panel attach screws in the channel that were never sealed allowed water intrusion that went un noticed for years and I'm now stuck rebuilding the rotted galley stovetop/ power dist system cabinet. It's not hard to remove the rubber portion of the rub assy and check/ reseal the screws in the channel just in case water gets inside or between the channel and hull...
                Dave
                5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
                Sold:
                Mariner 150
                Towing with:

Comment

I can clean the previous owner's black caulk up with some elbow grease, but if the pro move as used Car2n was to simply remove the rub rail, I had to know.
                  1989 2855
                  Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

I can clean the previous owner's black caulk up with some elbow grease, but if the pro move as used Car2n was to simply remove the rub rail, I had to know.
                    I did not remove the rub rail
                    Wet'ever
                    1989 Avanti 2955
                    460 King Cobra

Comment

Originally posted by Car2n View Post

I did not remove the rub rail
                      Not removing mine either. Just going to tape off and edge seal top and bottom edges to the hull. I did remove the rubber insert though after discovering the rotted pwr distribution shelf wood and seeing in a couple of threads on here mentioning unsealed screws. The rub rail channel to hull attach screws WERE sealed but "thru" screws, connecting to interior trim/ structure were not. I also found evidence of water getting into the channel behind the rubber insert and sitting static in there so I plan on drilling a couple of very small holes (#40 bit) in the bottom of the channel in the center of the curve where it turns towards the stern to allow drainage
                      Dave
                      Sold:
                      Mariner 150
                      Towing with:

Comment

Wow! that sure made a difference! Looks great!
                        Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
                        Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
                        Vice Commodore BYC

Comment

Working...
                        X