2452 windlass/pulpit/anchor-gctid349085

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2452 windlass/pulpit/anchor-gctid349085

Here are some pics of my recent windlass install...

There is of course a toggle switch at the helm, and the reversing solenoid is mounted inside the cabin on the anchor locker bulkhead.

The hatch is rienforced with 1/2 epoxied ply, replaced factory hinges with heavier duty ones (approx 3/16" pins) and relocated to the aft edge of the hatch. Also installed quick release latch at the front for easy access (can also be locked when not in use).

The pulpit/bow roller is 2 pieces of 3/4 oak laminated together with epoxy, then cut/shaped and then fully encapsalated with epoxy, then a standard 2" bow roller bolted to that.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651898=24449-windlass.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651898=24448-windlass3.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651898=24447-windlass4.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651898=24446-windlass8.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651898=24450-winlass2.jpg[/img]

Here are a few more pics,

the anchor I made specifically for sturgeon fishing the fraser, built it a bit bigger then most around here because the 2452 is much bigger and heavier then most river boats, the main and (IMO) the most important thing changed isthe flukes are 3" wide rather then 1.5-2" and quite a bit longer...time will tell as this was a winter project and has not been tested yet.

the other pic is of the rode being painted and marked every 20'...also painted the first 10' to serve as a warning when close to the roller...marked the rode with different coloured trail tape weaved into the 3 strand...we will also see how this holds up

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651903=24452-anchor.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651903=24453-rode.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/651903=24451-windlass9.jpg[/img]

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Really a nice job...

One comment, should your bow lights be turned forward?
        Doug ;}
        MMSI: 338068776
        "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the input and pictures. Job well done.

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
            Really a nice job...

One comment, should your bow lights be turned forward?
            I was thinking the same thing.....they are upside down

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments

As for the lights, I originally had them intalled the other way but was confronted by Vancouver Police boat for a random check, they checked for safety equipment and nav lights...their only issue was mounted facing forward you can see the port light from the starboard side and vise-versa.

I checked the regs and see what they meen, you are supposed to lose sight of oppiste side not very far off center, the way i had it you could see the oppisite light probaly more then 45 deg off center line of bow....in fact the oppisite side actually was far more visible! I guess cuz of the angle of the bulb

reversed the way i have them now eliminates that and are still very visable looking down the front/center line of the boat, (which was my main concern flipping them backwards)

Now this is the solution i came up with, If anyone has any other suggestions...or foresee any other issues having the nav lights this way please let me know...because i was already unsure about it...thanks

Comment

Matt, it just did not look right. I understand your concern and explanation but I think your local authorities are wrong in their assessment of the position... I'd place them the right way...

If you were really concerned, you could install them correctly and then paint the inner edge with black paint. It would make them "authority" correct and look normal as well.

If you look closely at mine, they would do the same thing as yours does but mine is factory installed so that tells me your locals are a tad loco...

Doug ;}
                MMSI: 338068776
                "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Those style lights should actually be mounted further back, and up side right, closer to the cabin windows

Comment

Yeah I thought some factory intalls did the same thing,

I will flip them back, its not like they gave me a ticket or wrote up a warning, so it shouldnt be documented, was more of a suggestion by them.

I think you are correct with Loco authorities LOL, they were putting me through the ringer, i felt they were just looking for something, anything to catch me on...

Comment

VPD marine are a bunch of clowns next time you see a coast guard ask them. VPD is just looking for stolen boats drunk drivers and speeders There are regs on the transport Canada website but they are international lighting rules so...........

Comment

Ofishal,

I can't disagree with your opinion on VPD, I understand they serve a purpose but definitly seems like they are on a power trip, that being said I have come across some that seem pretty down to earth.

Comment

And yes mounting further back would help....I was trying not to drill anymore holes....

thanks guys for the suggestions

Comment

You may want to install much heavier/wider hinges, the existing ones may not hold with very heavy load, very nice and neat looking job.

Glad you used epoxy, oak turns black when exposed to salt water.
                            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

As mentioned those lights are for side mounting typically much further aft . They are not meant for that location and that's why either orientation looks wrong.

I think if you moved them to the sides of your pulpit then you could orient them properly "lens forward" and be totally in compliance. Only one side would be visible from either side yet both visible from in front. THIS ASSUMES YOUR ANCHOR DOES NOT HIDE THEM FROM THE FRONT.

Your pulpit looks nice. My only concern is the bolt heads. I would have used a carriage bolt for the smooth head. You can see one of the carriage bolts on mine just behind the horn.

Jim McNeely
                              New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                              Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                              Brighton, Michigan USA
                              MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Working...
                              X