• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Bayliner Ski Challenger full restore

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thought I'd share some pictures of my restoration of my 1989 Ski Challenger. The boat was only produced for 4 years, I believe 1989, 1990, 1996, 1997. I have the older model. I loved the boat, but the stringers and floor were starting to go. I rebuilt the whole structural stringers, and beefed up the wood construction in it. I used all Marine plywood along with West system epoxy resin with 404 hardener which I have to say is some top notch stuff. I then encapsulated the stringers in a few layers of fiberglass and finished off with some bi-axel 1708. I then proceded to add marine foam which was really neat to use. This boat never had foam from the factory, So I was a little leary on using it, but it really made the boat more rigid and sound deadening. It is very solid feeling in rough water than before. I fiberglassed the whole floor, then I gelcoated the bilge, floor and part way in the gunwhales. So hopefully that seals it up well from moisture. I redid all the carpet with Lancer 16oz, and used Hydroturf for the flooring which I like, also added a monster tower for boarding. This boat I believe was worth saving since their so rare, and being a true inboard is pretty neat. Many ppl didn't know Bayliner made a Inboard boat and neither did I. I get many questions on the water asking who makes this boat. When I tell them bayliner the look I get is priceless, Its also very modern looking for a 1989. So if anyone has one that is looking for advice on rebuilding one or any other advice I should be able to help with that.

Comment

Hello Sir

I would like some help on the interior wood work any drawing or additional info would be great I am referring to passenger seat area I tore mine apart a little too hastily
              its a great bat have owned since new . Now its time to give face lift

Roy 414351.4536
              located in Brookfield wi
              royjr327@twc.com

Comment

Very impressive job! Looks solid
                1998 Ciera 2855, 7.4L MPI, Harbourfront Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Nice workmanship. Bringing one back can be frustrating and at the same time satisfying.
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                  MMSI 367770440
                  1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                  Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Never knew BL made a boat like that, great job on restoring it, really nice work!
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                    X