1987 Bayliner 2150 bowrider restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on to this years project.

I picked up a 5.7 liter engine off the classified here locally. I got a great deal so I figured Id take a chance on it. The Guy even delivered it to me. so long story short, I needed to do a little more research before I picked up this engine. I knew it was a 1985 engine, but everything looked identical to the 5 liter it was replacing.

Getting ready to pull the existing engine from the boat. My son and I build a gantry, and I got a 1 ton chain hoist.

So I pulled the existing motor.....

Comment

Well needless to say there was a really big difference. Between 1985 and 1986 GM decided to change the bolt pattern on the back of the crank that the drive coupler mounts to. I didn't know this and after spending several hours looking I was coming up with nothing. We went as far as to strip everything back off the new engine and put it back on the other one. We even dropped it back in the boat. We ran out of light so we called it a day.

As you can see on the back the last 6 bolts on the crank were located different.

the next morning I was back online looking for a coupler. Low and behold I found one.

We switched everything back to the 5.7 and got it ready to put in.

I did change out all the plugs, wires, cap & rotor and the points and condenser as well as a complete oil change before I put it in. One of the Exhaust Manifolds had a crack in it so I did have to purchase a new one to put on. I was going to use the ones off my old engine but they were pretty rusted and after cleaning them up I found that they also had cracks along the bottom side. I think I'll be buying the port side one as well just for the insurance.

Comment

on last thing needed changed as after installed the Started motor was pretty weak. I purchased a new one online got it installed. It's a smaller size but packs quite the power to turn over the engine.

You can see the size difference, Bolted right up without issue.

Comment

After a run to the closest lake to test it out. we were able to take the family and friends out for some fun the following weekend. Had a great time and everything worked wonderfully.

Comment

Awesome job all the way around. I really enjoyed the thread!

Comment

Originally posted by KHardin View Post
              Awesome job all the way around. I really enjoyed the thread!
              Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comment

We have made several trips since I've put in the engine. I've got about 15 hrs on it now and its performing great.

we even got my daughter (12) up on skis for the first time.

Comment

Back at it this year, I've been wanting to get a wakeboard tower for years now, I finally decided on what I wanted and placed an order. I went with the Vapor Tower from Big Air Wake Towers out of Oklahoma. I purchased the combo with the Super Shadow Bimini. I also got the LED Tower Light and the Ski and Wakeboard/Kneeboard Racks for the side rails, Adjustable ski Mirror and some Speaker Pods. (I'll post pics when I get them mounted).

Assembly, even got my Daughter to help

Fitting the mounting Rails.

Installed shots.

Comment

The finished product looks great! Question about the carpet installation as I'm looking to do mine this off-season. How difficult was the installation on the side compartments? What brand and weight did you use?

Comment

Great project love how it all came together
                      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Originally posted by Jlynn16 View Post
                        The finished product looks great! Question about the carpet installation as I'm looking to do mine this off-season. How difficult was the installation on the side compartments? What brand and weight did you use?
                        I honestly don't remember what the brand was, I purchase it from Boaters Outlet, it's a local Marine store here in my area, it matches pretty well with the sunbrella "cadet grey" for the compartments I just glued them up and around and then cut out the openings. it wasn't something very difficult. The carpet has seen 12 years of use and is still holding up pretty well. I'm looking at possible putting down SeaDek or similar product maybe next spring on the floor surface. I'll leave the vertical surfaces as carpet though.

Comment

So here are a few more shots of the tower completed, I installed the Ski Rack and the Wakeboard/Kneeboard combo Rack as well as the Mirror. the speakers are installed and wired as well.

Shot from on the water.

Comment

Working...
                          X