1987 Bayliner 2150 bowrider restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Bayliner 2150 bowrider restoration

Since the Site Changed and I lost my entire restoration thread, I decided that I am going to rebuild It using info form the wayback machine of the old site. I wasn’t able to recover all of it, but monst of it is there. So here we go…

so here is my project boat in it's current condition. I stripped the entire boat down. What prompted the rebuild? The 2 big holes in the floor from rot. I pulled out the floor to find that several of the stringers have rotted away as well. Out they came.

I ground everything down, and replaced all the bad ones with new. I glassed everything in, added the new floor, and glassed it in as well (something that bayliner should have done in the first place ).

So the floor is in, and glassed. (8 gallons of glass in total, and lots of Mat). I'm am just finishing up the carpet and custom build new seats. I added a Captains chair, and re configured the other seating to make an "L" across the back and passanger side. (I trashed the back to back seats, I don't like them).

I went with a light grey marine carpet. (original color was blue) I am in process of carpeting the entire boat.

I soon will be delivering it to have the entire boat interior re-skinned with some new vinyl. (funds permitting)

I also have a new bimini top on the way.

all said and done I'll be into about $5,500 for the restore. this is a boat that I have had for about 12 years and it's been a great runner. I couldn't see spending what a new boat runs.

With my restore I'll basically have a new boat for alot less than a new and most used.

I will say that this had been alot of work, mostly just alot of time and sweat involved. it will all be worth it in the end.

I'd didn't document the rebuild very well, but I will have some pics of the boat up to day tonight. I'll post some up. I also have some before pics so you can see what I started with. I'll be sure to post some of the boat when it's completed as well.
    here are some photos.....

Comment

• Jlynn16
      Jlynn16 commented
      Editing a comment
      How difficult was the carpet installation on the
      sides and storage compartments? What weight carpet did you us?

Post #2 (May 30, 2007)
    A few More…

Comment

Post #3 (May 30, 2007)

And some before shots….

Comment

Post # 4 (June 18, 2007)

I took the boat out yesterday (great fathers day :arr ) I had the wife and kids with me and took the one of the nephews too.

we had a great time.

this is the first time that the boat has seen the water in almost 2 years. I've pretty much completed the restoration. I have a nice new Attwood captains chair with flip up bolster installed.

I have changed the seating configuration to a wrap around "L" shape, removing the back to back seating on the port side.

I've also installed a new bimini top with SS hardware.

It goes in for a complete re-upholstery on July 20th. the colors of the new seats will match my captains chair (off white w/ Navy blue accents).

once I get it back from the upholstery shop I'll get some final pictures posted. I"m looking foward to having a "brand new" old boat.

Overall the boat ran great and we had tons of fun. I have 4 on the towable and just had a great time on the lake.
        Post # 5 (July 4, 2007)
        here is a few shots of the new bimini installed on the boat.

travel ready.

Read for some Shade

Comment

Post # 6 (July 20, 2007)

Well I'm dropping her off at the uphostery shop tomorrow. I'll have her back in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Pictures will follow. I'm also taken her out the weekend after I get her back. I'm very excited :arr

Post # 7 (August 7, 2007)

I have new Upholstery.... I pick up her up from the Shop on Thursday, then work sent me to Virginia for the rest of the week, that killed the boating trip I had planned. I just got the pics taken tonight. I love the way it turned out. with the new seat configuration it's a one of a kind 1987 bayliner 2150 bowrider.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Post # 8 (August 7, 2007)

And some more….

Post # 9 (August 7, 2007)

One more with my 4yr. old boy. He asks me every day when we are going boating again.

Post # 10 (August 8, 2007)

I'm very pleased with the job that the Upholstery shop did. I just took in some sketches and the boat and they turned it into a reality.

Comment

Post # ? (Sept 15, 2008)

the drop down for the bathroom is a bit tricky, you will need to remove the front panel that goes behind (under) where the glove box is. this panel is just screwed on from the inside of the bathroom. you will also need to remove the doors, and the opposite side that has the icebox and additional glove box. they are also just screwed on and easily accessed. then you will be able to access the floor in there. I also had a very mushy hole and this is one of the main reasons that I had to replace the floor. I actually had a hole in there from where I went right though it. then I deemed the boat unsafe for my family.

you will want to be very careful when removing this piece especially where it meets the hull. it is just glassed on to the hull and it can be very thick in places. I used a die grinder to cut the glass until I reached the wood, once you remove the board you will need to grind down all the excess glass and have it prepped for your installation of the new piece. again you need to be careful as the shap of the hull is actually holding part of this piece, you need to NOT cut though the Hull. it will take some cut and fit, and some grinding on the bottom at different angles to get the new piece to sit right. I also had to replace one of my stringers that went from front to step all the way to the bow and a few that went in between them. I really wish I took some improgress pictures as it would sure be easier to explain.

if you need a better explanation I can probably draw it up in CAD

Post # ? (Sept 15, 2008)

I hope this will help in explaining what you will see under the Floor. Let me know if you have any other questions. it's not to scale but it's a good visual to go off of.

Post # ? (March 18, 2013

wow, hadn't realized how long it's been since I posted in here. More upgrades on the list for this year. Main one will be a swim platform that I'll get installed before our trip to Lake Powell this summer. All in all I haven't done much to the boat other than just plain enjoying the heck out it. It's great family (plus friends) fun.

It looks like I've started a trend of 2150 restorations that's awesome, it's a great boat.

Comment

Post # ? (March 25, 2013)

The layout of this boat is what sold me on keeping it when deciding to restore or buy a newer ones. the newer boats had the layouts that I liked, but they were just out of my price range. the 2150 bowrider is a great riding boat with everything I was looking for for a day out on the lake with family and friends.

Swim platform is on order, I'll update with some pics of the install.

Comment

Post # ? (April 2, 2013)

I'll be buffing and polishing here pretty soon as well. I should have my swim platform from swimplatforms.com here in about 2 weeks. I am really excited about that. I haven't even uncovered mine yet this year and all the lakes around us are still frozen as well.

I'm ready to get this season underway. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with friends and family on the boat this summer.

Comment

Post #? (April 3, 2013)

here is are some of the pictures that they sent me of the model that fits our boats, they don't have them on the site.

I can give you the specs on what it is as well. the overall depth of the platform is 29" deep and 88" wide. it's made of fiberglass with gelcoat and has a diamond pattern non-skid in the gel coat top surface along with the top vent. I also had them move the ladder to the starboard side of mine because of the layout of the seats that is the side the you typically enter the boat from, and that is the side my "small" platform or step is on and we're use to it.I'll attach some good pictures of mine when I get it installed. I won't be doing it right away because I'll be pulling the drive off first to do some service work and replace my gimbal bearings and check the U joints and it'll be easier to do before the platform is installed. I'm also considering getting some Bennett trim tabs, if I do that I need to make sure I have the right clearance for them so the platform brackets won't be in the way.I'm excited to get it put on but since It's not time to "splash" the boat yet this year I'm not in a huge hurry. our first outing this year probably won't be until memorial weekend so I have some time.
                    swimplatforms.com have a Quote form on their website

Comment

Post # ? (April 5, 2013)

I'm looking at my restoration as making a new to me boat, that will last another 25-30 years, I'm not so worried about putting the money into it and not getting it back as I have no plans to sell or upgrade to a different larger one, it's just an investment into family fun. :smileflag This boat works perfect for our type of boating, It's mostly day visits with a few extended trip a year. I'll be upgrading the engine next springs and then just a few little other things that I'd like to do.

Comment

Post # ? (April 17, 2013)

Updates:

Just got news my Swim Platform has shipped and I should have it tomorrow. :getsmilie

I've got my Trim Tabs ordered and on their way as well. I decided to Go with the Bennett M120 Kit with Electronic Indicator Control. I looked at some of the other brands but in the end I decided to go with the Bennett Tabs as they were the best based on reviews and recommendations. Plus Tabman has been a great help with both selection, and great with customer service and answering my questions.

Other progress. So apparently I didn't do a good job of maintaining my gelcoat over the last 5 years and we all know if you don't keep up with it, it means a lot of work bringing the shine back. I'm about a 1/4 of the way there now.

I purchased some Collinite Marine Waxes and I'm well under way. I've wet sanded 1 side of my boat (using 1200) and Using a Dual Action Polisher I have used Rubbing compount followed by the Boat Cleaner (Collinite # 920) and the Liquid Fleetwax (Collinite # 870). Once I get the entire boat done, I'll follow that up with the Collinite Fleetwax paste (Collinite #885) for a final finish.

I'm amazed at how good it looks using the Collinite Products. If they hold up as well as the reviews state I'd highly recommend them.

Comment

Post # ? (April 29, 2013)

Swim platform was just delivered. Now I need to wait until Lunch to go unpack it and load it in my buddies truck to take it home.

Comment

Post #? (April 29, 2013)

Progress Update.

I spend Saturday Morning by starting to install My Bennett M120 Trim Tabs while waiting for my brother to come over and help with the install of my swim platform. All in all it was pretty straight forward and nothing really complicated. I simply laid everything out per the instructions, got everything positioned, marked out and put in place ready to mount them with 3M 4200 sealant. Here are a few shots of the tabs installed. I'm still in the process of installing the pump and switch, I'll get pictures of them and get them posted up as well.

I've got the Swim platform installed as well and I'll get some pictures of the finished install and get them posted as well. :getsmilie

Comment

Working...
                            X