Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repower 350 chev. to 6.5 Diesel produced by AMG the Hummer builders.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repower 350 chev. to 6.5 Diesel produced by AMG the Hummer builders.

I have to get this post on and revive some of the photos lost in the transition. I changed from a 260 HP 350 that struggled to get on plane when loaded to more push and diesel for safety and fuel economy. It all started with my tip to Ketchikan and the 100 mile run from Prince Rupert, fully loaded was a drag, so after lots of research an and pricing I picked the 6.5 now produced by AMG - Hummer fame. From a mechanical point I have wrenched on 6.2 and 6.5 the GM build engines, for a long time and one 3 still going strong. So spring of 15 it was pull time and prep. So after to old iron was out and the New one ordered it was clean up and prep time. After reading of the fuel tank problems every one was having, the decision was made to poll the tank and move it forward to help wit the weight on the aft end and that project was completed 1st, but I will leave that post to later. Next will be the start of the fitting, till tomarow
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

One more day and the crate is on my P/U so it is time to in wrap and rig things, time to gently lower the 1000LB in to the space, on the 2859 not to bad so far, ok problem, motor mount humps are to high by close to 1.5 inches no way to line up the shaft to the fly-wheel, so up in the air we go, thankfully my A- frame is high and big. so in to the dungeon we go with straight edges and squares O don't miss out on the level, time to mark every thing up- at least 3 times then its time for the saws all. So that is for today, need to find more pictures.

Comment

So sawed of about 1.3/4 from the top of the motor mounts leveled things up with the grinder, O I love grinding glass- not, so out come the measuring tools, since my plan is aluminum base plate for the engine mounts to sit on, I will start with a 4 inch channel that will need to be widened since the stringer beam id 4.5 wide and I would like to cap that and cross drill for bolts to anchor the assembly. It is cut the aluminum and put in a spacer time, ok that is done now to fit and bolt down set the engine back in to place to mark engine mount bolts.

Comment

Fritz does this diesel require a fuel return to the fuel tank? If so what are your plans for that?
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Oh goodie, Fritz is back at it! More please
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

This is a great idea. I seriously considered using this engine to repower my previous boat - 1989, 2858. I ended up selling it instead.

What stern drive are you going to use? Can it handle the torque of the new engine?

In addition to through-bolting, are you going to bond the aluminum channels to the stringers? Bolting alone may result in the holes elongating with vibration and engine movement.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

To answer questions first, I like questions makes me remember things. Hi Mike yes return is required on diesels on the 2859 fuel tank there id a plugged opening that can and has been removed to install a 90dg fitting for the return, when I rebuild the fuel tank an space room was left for the hose to run, the engine has a return plumed in. When I reworked the fuel tank it was moved forward 10 inches to gain space and transfer weight forward, so it necessitated making a small trap door to reach the fittings and sending unit this will have a temporary seal when compartment is put back together. Hi Dave and thanks, now tp N.R. my drive is sitting and is a Bravo III X to take the load O and 220 ratio. Now to continue with the motor mount plate once the bolts where marked and drilled, retainers for nuts welded on the underside I threaded in the bolts- with waxed threads- and spacers not to have the bolts too deep and tight, the stringer and underside of the plate slathered with West System Six - a thickened Epoxy that coms in a caulk tube and then squished and bolted together. That's it for today, of to sand the roof on my Dodge Dooly- it was peeling so a repaint for that area is needed.

Comment

So the motor mount plates are in place and it is time to drop her in one again, I need to not that all modification I could think of with the compartment empty where accomplished, as concrete out, battery move, hatches in port and starboard sides, the trim pump and fin pump had to be moved also. I posted a picture of self lining thing s up squeezed in a side compartment, I am 6.2 and a bit over 200. Tomorrow I will get to lining up the engine side to side and height.

Comment

Sounds like your getting close Fritz. Spacious engine bay, don't fall asleep in there
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Great project.

Is this the engine? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqvwYDrFmO4

Sounds fabulous. I wonder if I can squeeze one into my 2452?

Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
                    1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
                    MMSI 235061726

Comment

Terry the basic answer yes, from 2001 on the blocks where produced by Navistar - AMG as the Optimizer with lots of upgrades all good one needs to watch for Chinese blocks now on the market, not the same quality Engine in marine dress weighs in at a 1000Lb. might be a bit for your 2452.

Comment

Lining up the engine with the drive still in place, so how, well I found a pipe- conduit that would slip over the drive splines with a wrap of electric tape for protection, the pipe was sufficient length to reach the area by the fuel tank, then a flat section of fiberglass was pressed in to service with some bracing to create a target. This was done with the engine out, only way it will work, so now the engine is back in the hole and the target secured pipe gone, I found a section of PVC pipe that would fit tightly in to the front pulley and with dust caps installed a 1/4 centered hole drilled was able to slide I a 1/4 inch rod with pointed end in, to line up with the target. Now to the grunt part the motor mounts slide in and out as well as up and down adjustment, so by moving that 1000 lb. of iron back and forth I got her lined up, need a break, then big wrenches out and snugged the mounts down.

Comment

It tells me 4 Photos but missing one. so lets find it, got it.

Comment

Fritz, why did you have to line up the engine this way? Doesn't the new engine bolt up to the inner transom shield like the old one did via the flywheel cover? You got any pics of the connection back there?
                            Dave
                            Edmonds, WA
                            "THE FIX"
                            Misc. projects thread

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                              Nauti_Mike commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I am wondering the same thing.

Hi Dave, yes it bolls up but there is a sight side to side movement potential I am just a nit picker concerned with alignment potentials. I have had to deal with this with engines bolted in with lag bolts in to older stringers, did not have pictures of the engine bolted in the back.--When you did such a great overbuild of the 2556 that's your pride an joy, that build, went over and above OEM practices all good. .

Comment

Working...
                            X