Winter Work!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Work!

Since it's winter, I decided to get some work done I hadn't gotten to. Of course, being in Florida - the winter thing was not really applicable. Just couldn't go boating because of the high winds (gusts in the 30's), and cold!! REALLY cold - like 65 degrees out there!! Ouch!.

Well anyway, I hadn't been able to reach and remove the oil filter, and after having a fuel pump go bad and leak gas into the block, I was very eager to do that before we ran it any distance. I had changed the oil once the new few pump was in and ran it a bit at the dock to ensure all was well with the fuel system, but then after shut down, changed the oil again just to try to get the diluted stuff out. Discovered that the oil filter is so close to the rear mounting plate, coupled to stringers and cooling system hose that I couldn't get a normal wrench on it, and trying to contort my 6'2"/265lb frame down into the area the HWH used to be was just not possible. So, after pulling batteries and the port manifold, I was finally able to contort enough to get a cap end wrench on and remove the old filter. I had called the folks at Mercruiser and gotten a remote oil filter kit. Decided that as long as the plugs on that side were already exposed I'd pull them, and that lead to just replacing all plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil. What the heck right?.

Go it all put back together yesterday and everything seems to be running correctly and smoothly. Without leaks! Yea!

Now on to some of those pesky little things like cleaning up old dash PO wiring issues, burned out lights, etc. And if the winds die down next week - to launch and running. Well not launching really, just letting the lift down into water.......

PS - I think I finally found the carburetor fuel adjustment screw too. Had been curious where that was.

Attached Files
    1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
    "Sea Flights"
    5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
    Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
    MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
    Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Shoot, working on your boat at 65 degrees is cheating! You should be doing that kind of work when it’s either freezing or 90 with 90% humidity. Good move on the remote oi filter. When you replace the remote filter, punch a hole in the top, as the filter is oriented, bottom of the filter can, to allow air in and let the filter drain. Much less messy. If you are sucking the oil out of the engine, you can make up an adapter for the pan hose and connect to that. It worked better for me than the down the dipstick method especially when removing the suction tube. I was always having the tube come out before I expected and flipping oil all over the place.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
      Shoot, working on your boat at 65 degrees is cheating! You should be doing that kind of work when it’s either freezing or 90 with 90% humidity. Good move on the remote oi filter. When you replace the remote filter, punch a hole in the top, as the filter is oriented, bottom of the filter can, to allow air in and let the filter drain. Much less messy. If you are sucking the oil out of the engine, you can make up an adapter for the pan hose and connect to that. It worked better for me than the down the dipstick method especially when removing the suction tube. I was always having the tube come out before I expected and flipping oil all over the place.
      You right Pete. Just some tongue in cheek, but I did experience the 95/100% humidity aspect last summer while replacing the exhaust manifolds/risers and some other bilge work. I much prefer the 65 with 20knt breezes off the gulf.

And I was wondering if the oil would drain back on its own (being upside down from normal) or if I would have to poke the hole you mentioned. Good advice. Thanks.
      1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
      "Sea Flights"
      5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
      Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
      MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
      Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Working...
      X