32XX Cave steps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32XX Cave steps

Not yet finished. I've made the temporary design from plywood, until I'm satisfied. I made it so I can remove the top step hinge pin and fold up the stairs and open the engine access. Any thoughts or ideas to make it better ? The final project will be made from hardwood.
    Top view Hinged up Front view

1989 3288
    "Defiant"
    5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

I dispensed with those hinges and replaced them with two heavy hooks. The steps are supported by Al angle underneath. So to access the engine now I just toss them aside. I did however hinge the engine hatchets.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070637_crop.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	404947
    1987 3270 135-Hino
    Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

Looks nice. I wanted to add an extra step. Each step is now 8-3/4”. It makes going up and down very easy now.

1989 3288
      "Defiant"
      5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Comment

The one piece modification is the way to go. Especially if you'e adding a step. I wish I would have taken the time to do the same. I refinished mine and replaced the original hinges with heavy butt hinges. I welded a little tab on the pin to remove without tools.
        I posted this project but the pics were probably lost in the conversion.
        "Martini's Law"
        1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
        Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by diveguy View Post
          The one piece modification is the way to go. Especially if you'e adding a step. I wish I would have taken the time to do the same. I refinished mine and replaced the original hinges with heavy butt hinges. I welded a little tab on the pin to remove without tools.
          I posted this project but the pics were probably lost in the conversion.
          It's not too late for me to do the one piece/lift away design. I only have to make 1 more wood template. I'm hoping that others will post up photos. So much got lost in the conversion it's hard (impossible) to find photos of past projects.

1989 3288
          "Defiant"
          5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Comment

It' s too bad we lost all those pics. I know others have done the one piece mod. With just the two steps my does pull up fairly easy.
            "Martini's Law"
            Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Oh, make sure you put a strip of non slip tape or something similar on the finished treads as that polyurethane is super slippery. I learned the hard way.
              "Martini's Law"
              Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Mine are on my list of spring projects! Looks great! I was thinking of a simple three ladder that hooks on and comes off, so it’s no longer attached to engine access. Keep us posted with the finished product
                Bayliner 3270 1987

Comment

Working...
                X