Throttle panel rebuild Ciera 2655

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle panel rebuild Ciera 2655

I HATE STAPLES!! This one piece had become more of an aggravation then restoring the gel coat. The more I look at it, the puckers and wrinkles aren't all that noticeable and hopefully letting it sit and everything settle and get some sun for a while will help talk myself out of removing staples.....AGAIN.... to try and tweak it which so far after taking half the staples BACK out (after I missed somehow in my research, staring at and taking reference photos...that the remaining vinyl panels needed to inter-fold and install in certain order at the same time as the others.
    Nothing was reusable half the wood had the corners and ends rotted away so there was plenty of "guesstimating" and trying to reproduce the creases and folds in the old pieces.....yeah.... notsomuch..... At least I'll have gotten SOME experience by the time I go for broke and start in on the U lounge seat, which is missing part of the structure and foam and what remains of it's wood is as bad as the "box" portion of this throttle panel. Hopefully someone will have better luck and learn from my frustration that sometime things need looked at several times and lots of testing folds and reference material. AND hopefully pass on to me advice, experience and anything that may be useful in helping me not loose my mind when I start the U lounge.
    There are some wrinkles and puckers but I'm so aggravated and sick of looking at it I'm gonna mess with some other stuff before doing more tweaking on it. Puling hundreds of staples and chasing defects around ain't for the faint of heart. If you give this a try take plenty of reference photos and make lots of notes as it's like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle from hell! I had it half way together Wed night before I realized that I hadn't installed covering pieces that had to interlock and fold with others. Messing with it as long as I have I missed the forest for the trees because nothing sux quite like pulling all those staples back out and when finally starting together again having puckers and wrinkles that weren't there before. Got the BOSTICH electric stapler ( best $30 you'll ever spend if you do even one recovering) and other materials from LOWE's except the green foam which came from JoAnn Fabric. Manual staplers are an exercise in futility and your hands will ache so badly you cant hold a drink. Maybe while I take a break before trying another round of un-stapling and tweaking, the sun and time will let the thing "settle and "work" to a better appearance. It actually looked pretty good in the pictures with just the bottom end to end bottom white piece and black throttle piece in place. It was after I de-stapled and started going back together that I started having problems with wrinkles and puckering. Maybe the frustration and fatigue from obsessing all night on getting it finished wasn't much help either.
    Dave
    Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
    Sold:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

After six....SIX cropping and resizing attempts I'm too aggravated so you'll have to "imagine" what the new main panel looks like. Facebook's B.O.C. page doesn't put you through that ordeal
    Dave
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
    Sold:
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:

Comment

Dave
      Sold:
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:

Comment

I think I've spent as much time reshrinking these dang pictures down so they'll fit as I did stapling the panel!!!. For ease of posting and such. I'm pondering more detailed posts and pictures there and short blurps here with maybe a photo or two unless (and I'm no "Geek Squad guy" but can't imagine adjusting picture size limits being too involved a task? . The size pictures my cameras and cell take them in, seem to work just fine everywhere but here. Hope this'll get looked into
        Dave
        Sold:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:

Comment

Edited the above but when I tried TWICE to fill in the place that asks you to tell people why I edited it kicked it back with some "error" message. I corrected misspelling and fixed an incomplete sentence.
          Dave
          Sold:
          Mariner 150
          Towing with:

Comment

Greetings Dave...I am going to replace the same panel on my 1992 2655 this summer. Can you tell me where the screws were that hold the panel on, and what was involved in taking the throttle/shift lever off and separating it from the pane??. I am going to replace the vinyl on my panel as well. I think my backer board is ok...but we shall see. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi! Sorry but between moving and job switch I haven't been on in a while. My throttle panel wood was screwed into from the outboard side of the inner hull AND also secured by the screws that go outboard through the metal throttle backing/ base plate. There was also a bead of adhesive applied in an arch from just fwd of the cutout in the inner hull for the throttle and slowly arching down and aft almost to the edge of the panel ( I'm guessing to channel water out from between the panel and the wall instead of on to the throttle assy) I dropped the aft berth ceiling panel on the stbd side and removed the screws I saw there. Next, I removed the throttle plate trim covers (front and back halves. Visible in the first picture in #1. they take a little gentle prying at the front and aft edges and they should slide off (fwd and aft) revealing the remaining screws. Then I separated the mounting plate from the rest of the assy. Once that was done, A little rotating and wiggling finally let the assy pass through the cutout in the panel. Good time to clean the electrical connections, tie the assy up with the cable sheaths pointing down and start shooting some lube/ corrosion preventative (I used LPS 3) every so often so it can work its way down the sheaths. P/O and his maint were questionable so I did this on my own. There may be a better way shy of taking things further apart. Hopefully the wood's still ok Mine felt ok but soon as I started taking things apart that changed. Being on a tight budget I opted for non marine grade plywood and used spar varnish on every piece and Fuze-It to help bond everything. The factory wood with it's half slapped whitewash coating held up this long ( until disassembly anyways) so I figured the spar varnish and adhesive were way beyond mfg standards for 1990 and should last till long after I'm gone. Take lots of pictures as the coverings and their overlapping and interconnecting are crazy! Also I went with 1/4" ply and in hindsight probably should have looked for 5/16" but again the budget. I'm going to add some extra stainless screws and more adhesive when I reinstall due to that.
              Just take your time. Kim at Canvas Plus (?) in Wa state has patterns if you don't want to do all the cutting. I ordered the whole ships set and am recovering everything as mine are all "that bad" Good lucj! Start a thread so guys can follow along, especially since there may be significant differences between model construction....
              Dave
              Dave
              Sold:
              Mariner 150
              Towing with:

Comment

DFray, I forgot to add one more "preventative" step that I chose to do to help preserve my work. I recommend that you use a good quality paste ( not liquid as they don't last long) wax and treat any area under any exterior cockpit panel you remove, even though that may be the shiniest areas on the boat. A good waxing there will allow any water that gets between the hull and panels to quickly bead and exit, helping prevent water having enough time to soak/ seep into staple holes, wood and the like, starting the corrosion/ rotting process al over again. I'd also coat each thru-hull/ wood screw with sealant/ adhesive as well. The one thing I don't recommend though is to run beads around the outside edges of panels you recover as that can block off air that can help keep things dry and also can entrap any moisture/ spray/ condensation that gets in there. Let me know if I can be of any further help as I've discovered issues/ damage I'd have never knew was there during my projects.....hence my "going back way above production standards" mindset. Overkill some might say but I only want to do this once! Also on mine each foam piece was glued to the backing wood. In good condition and reusable but as you dissect, keep that in mind. document all corners, folds and how the vinyl sections overlap. Take it apart as if you are diffusing a bomb.....
                Dave
                Sold:
                Mariner 150
                Towing with:

Comment

Working...
                X