Throttle panel rebuild Ciera 2655

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle panel rebuild Ciera 2655

I HATE STAPLES!! This one piece had become more of an aggravation then restoring the gel coat. The more I look at it, the puckers and wrinkles aren't all that noticeable and hopefully letting it sit and everything settle and get some sun for a while will help talk myself out of removing staples.....AGAIN.... to try and tweak it which so far after taking half the staples BACK out (after I missed somehow in my research, staring at and taking reference photos...that the remaining vinyl panels needed to inter-fold and install in certain order at the same time as the others.
    Nothing was reusable half the wood had the corners and ends rotted away so there was plenty of "guesstimating" and trying to reproduce the creases and folds in the old pieces.....yeah.... notsomuch..... At least I'll have gotten SOME experience by the time I go for broke and start in on the U lounge seat, which is missing part of the structure and foam and what remains of it's wood is as bad as the "box" portion of this throttle panel. Hopefully someone will have better luck and learn from my frustration that sometime things need looked at several times and lots of testing folds and reference material. AND hopefully pass on to me advice, experience and anything that may be useful in helping me not loose my mind when I start the U lounge.
    There are some wrinkles and puckers but I'm so aggravated and sick of looking at it I'm gonna mess with some other stuff before doing more tweaking on it. Puling hundreds of staples and chasing defects around ain't for the faint of heart. If you give this a try take plenty of reference photos and make lots of notes as it's like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle from hell! I had it half way together Wed night before I realized that I hadn't installed covering pieces that had to interlock and fold with others. Messing with it as long as I have I missed the forest for the trees because nothing sux quite like pulling all those staples back out and when finally starting together again having puckers and wrinkles that weren't there before. Got the BOSTICH electric stapler ( best $30 you'll ever spend if you do even one recovering) and other materials from LOWE's except the green foam which came from JoAnn Fabric. Manual staplers are an exercise in futility and your hands will ache so badly you cant hold a drink. Maybe while I take a break before trying another round of un-stapling and tweaking, the sun and time will let the thing "settle and "work" to a better appearance. It actually looked pretty good in the pictures with just the bottom end to end bottom white piece and black throttle piece in place. It was after I de-stapled and started going back together that I started having problems with wrinkles and puckering. Maybe the frustration and fatigue from obsessing all night on getting it finished wasn't much help either.
    Day of purchase front half aft half pull all staples individually and get lots of ref oics and noted
    Dave
    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
    Past:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    West of Hickory NC

After six....SIX cropping and resizing attempts I'm too aggravated so you'll have to "imagine" what the new main panel looks like. Facebook's B.O.C. page doesn't put you through that ordeal
    Dave
    Past:
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    West of Hickory NC

Comment

Dave
      Past:
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:
      West of Hickory NC

Comment

I think I've spent as much time reshrinking these dang pictures down so they'll fit as I did stapling the panel!!!. For ease of posting and such. I'm pondering more detailed posts and pictures there and short blurps here with maybe a photo or two unless (and I'm no "Geek Squad guy" but can't imagine adjusting picture size limits being too involved a task? . The size pictures my cameras and cell take them in, seem to work just fine everywhere but here. Hope this'll get looked into
        Dave
        Past:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        West of Hickory NC

Comment

Edited the above but when I tried TWICE to fill in the place that asks you to tell people why I edited it kicked it back with some "error" message. I corrected misspelling and fixed an incomplete sentence.
          Dave
          Past:
          Mariner 150
          Towing with:
          West of Hickory NC

Comment

Working...