Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32XX bow pulpit rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    32XX bow pulpit rebuild


    Last year I had to go through a survey required by my insurance co. No major issue but the surveyor had detected a lot of humidity in my bow pulpit.
    Visually the pulpit looked ok but by the end of this season it was badly "whipping" under pressure.
    The fiberglass shell was in good condition so I opened up its "belly" to find the structure completely saturated with water:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0182.JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	398284



    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0183.JPG Views:	1 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	398286

    The rotten plywood had to be chiseled out completely and I let it dry completely for about two weeks on my dining room heated floor:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	9604D812-0B8B-438F-BC34-EFC607B799C7.JPG Views:	1 Size:	126.9 KB ID:	398279

    I rebuilt the structure by carefully saturating and laminating three layers of marine plywood with West epoxy:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	B9E48BDB-7A5E-445E-966D-30A415B6A08C.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	398289



    Click image for larger version  Name:	41948536-FF4F-435E-ACFB-1AB65FA5464B.JPG Views:	1 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	398285



    I also had to rebuild the thicker area that sits bolted to the deck and I glued back the outer shell making sure that everything bathes in resin (about 3 quarts total) and that no air bubbles remain.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	BD82C9FC-1CE0-4616-8038-C5E8813E5F36.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	398282

    Finally I painted the area with flat white paint. This is under the pulpit and is hardly visible:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	ADE84B1B-3415-44A5-908F-FDB27EB1EB88.JPG Views:	1 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	398280

    The holes drilled for the main bolts and the hardware will be saturated with epoxy and redrilled before the reinstallation.

    Chiseling out the old plywood was good for my temper but overall it was a fairly easy job.

    Total cost for marine plywood and epoxy; approx. 300 CDN$
    Attached Files
    CapMartin, Montr├®al
    "Belle de Dalhousie"
    1986 3270
    Volvo BB225B

    #2
    Nice work - on my todo list as well
    ________________
    1989 Bayliner 3270
    135hp (stock) -> 150hp (Injector pump mod) -> 170 hp (aftercoolers) Hino's
    MMSI 316 021 107
    Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
    Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
    Rear Commodore BYC

    Comment


      #3
      Nice job! Ugh...another project.
      "Martini's Law"
      1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
      Nova Scotia, Canada

      Comment


        #4

        Nice work, I did the same work on my 3870, soon after the harbor re-measured all the boats and then included the bow pulpit and increased the slip fee (per length) so I removed it, sold it, then installed a BRM3 SS anchor roller for my plow anchor.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

        Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

        Comment


          #5
          Great post, thanks for the write up, I'm sure that job will be one of my future projects.

          James
          1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
          Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
          Lowrance Electronics!
          MMSI
          316030379
          VHF
          CFA 2587
          Boating on Georgian Bay
          Currently on the Great Loop

          Comment


            #6
            Good job. Mine broke before I realized that the wood was rotten.

            Joe
            1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
            A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

            Comment


              #7
              Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	398679Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	398680Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	398681 I helped iceclimber with his we needed up regelcoating it too because it had stress cracks in the glassin a couple places on it sides. The wood was mostly sawdust. Ended up way stronger than the factory one ever was

              it appears that my new.to me avanti needs the same repair too.
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

              Comment


                #8
                Great job!...thanks for sharing

                Lars

                Comment


                  #9
                  Nice job. I had the same issues with mine but decided to just remove the pulpit completely and rework the railing to match the bow.

                  Paul
                  US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

                  1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                  MMSI: 338181912

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X