Swim Platform refurbishment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim Platform refurbishment

The platform on my '90 2655 was in poor shape. I finally got motivated and attacked it over the weekend. I dug out the rotted wood at the attach points cut replacement pieces from plywood to fit, coated with spar varnish and encased them in the recesses with Locktite Marine FastCure sealant. One carriage bolt had actually pulled through the outer fiberglass and into the wood. I have cut plates from 1/8: steel plate for the exterior and interior attach points to spread the load and stresses. Also filled several thru holes in platform with sealant as well. Now to the non skid and gel coat, stained, rust marks and all the trimmings. I'll try and insert pictures as I go

"YTU" (You Tube Univ) has a video by SureHold advertising a system designed specifically for non skid. I watched it a time or two and came up with a plan. I was going to follow their technique since I saw it work mon the video. Next I began substituting their more expensive tooling. I bought a random D/A polisher from Harbor Freight (which is very handy for the gel coat restoration as well), ordered these two hook and loop round bristle brushes for the D/A : I have a lot of non skid but these brushes should well into other projects. Again I used what I had on hand, Meguiars ultra cut 105 and medium cut (205 I think) and will follow with a good quality liquid was to work into the nonskid. Have a look at the You Tube Video.... a wealth of info in it. May also be on their website too.
    After testing the brushes it became apparent they did nothing for the rust stains. Plan B: I began lightly "scraping" the "grid" in the bottom of the non skid with a safety razor held 90 degrees to the surface as much as possible to help get the heavily oxidized mess out and get deeper than the rust stains. Keep in mind that the whole platform was getting restored anyway so I had nothing to loose by trying the razor blade but it did quite well. Next I experimented with different types of chemicals and compounds to finish off the rust staining and found that BarKeepers Friend and Comet spray (outdoors) and a brass bristle brush (steel will create dark stuff that imbeds into the porous gel coat).
    Once cleaned and dry it was time for the brushes and compounds

NEW Chemical Guys ACC201BRUSHC Carpet Brush with Hook and Loop Attachment
    ITEM PRICE: US $20.23
    See description
    ITEM ID:111978056800
    SELLER:shall78 (15073) 97.1% positive feedback

S.M. Arnold 83-024 Loop Backed Bristle Rotary Brush
    ITEM PRICE: US $14.98
    ITEM ID:352030752022
    SELLER:autobodynow (230788)
    I used the stiffer black brush for the compounding and the softer blue one to work the wax in following ShurHold's instruction. Once I finished one section I was very impressed with how it turned out!
    The areas chipped down to bare fiberglass will be resined over and once installed on the boat they will get sanded and touched up white with Rustoleum Marine Top white deck (for the lower hull sides, now a sickened looking pale blue) from LOWE'S
    I spent about 6 hours Sat and maybe 4 Sunday and am quite pleased Pictures follow 5 at a time
    Before Before Before
    Dave
    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
    Past:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    West of Hickory NC

In progress and materials
    Dave
    Past:
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    West of Hickory NC

Comment

Compounded waxed and awaiting install
      Dave
      Past:
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:
      West of Hickory NC

Comment

Mounting area. cut and varnished (3 coats RUSTOLEUM Spar Varnish, LOWE'S) replacements, incased and sealed with LOCTITE Marine FastCure adhesive/ sealant. T "beef up" attach points (one had already pulled through), I'm
        also adding "same size" 1/8" steel plate pieces under the carriage bolts (radiused corners and edges) to dissipate the loads.
        Dave
        Past:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        West of Hickory NC

Comment

Working...